Clabber & Buttermilk

Diane brought to my attention that I did not explain myself thorougly on my recipe for Derby cheese and the use of clabber/buttermilk. I use these two terms interchangeably, and I will explain why.

When I first began using raw milk I read that I could make cultured buttermilk by purchasing cultured buttermilk at the store and using it as a starter for my homemade. I did this for quite a while until one day I began to wonder how people made cultured buttermilk before Food Lion was around the corner! I found out that they actually made buttermilk from clabbered milk. They simply took clabbered milk and added it to their fresh milk and started their buttermilk in that manner. I then realized that clabbered milk WAS cultured buttermilk! I began to use my clabber in the place of buttermilk for recipes calling for such.

(On a side note, if you have difficulty getting your milk to clabber, you can purchase buttermilk at the grocery store and get your clabbered milk started by adding a bit of the buttermilk to your raw milk. You can just save back a bit of the cultured milk each time to start you next batch. Fortunately, all the conditions with the raw milk that I have and the temperature and good bacteria that abounds seem to culture my raw milk quickly and easily and the clabber sets up within 24-72 hours without any assitance.)

Now, on to the cheese.................

Last winter when I made cheese I was buying cultures from cheese making shops and having them shipped in. It was cost prohibitive and besides, I am always trying to figure out how the "old timers" did things. After researching for a while, I found out that mesophilic starter can be substituted with cultured buttermilk and thermophilic starter yogurt! Now isn't that a handy tidbit do know! I no longer order those starters and instead use my my buttermilk and yogurt! The bonus has been that I have found the taste of the cheese to be much, much better in a shorter amount of time (less aging time).

If any of this does not make sense, please feel free to ask questions and I will do my best to answer them!

Comments

Diane said…
Very good, thanks Tammy. I'll have to give it a try next winter when I'm up to my ears in milk!!!
pansystone said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.