Search This Blog

Monday, July 5, 2010

July Letter from Ben

In case you are a recent reader of my blog and don't know Ben, he is a one year old Miniature Dachshund that started life here on the farm and now lives in Washington, DC. If you would like to learn more about Ben, you can type his name in the search bar at the top of the blog page.

Thanks for the letter, Ben! We love hearing from you!



I’m sorry I haven’t written for a while, but I’ve been very, very busy. I was one year old on June 22, and I’m adjusting to becoming a young adult. You won’t be surprised to know that I’ve been getting in a lot of trouble.



This last Tuesday was the most fun of all. Someone put a whole bowl of red and yellow balls on the kitchen table. When nobody was looking, I took them down one by one and spread them throughout the house, including upstairs, so that I could have a ball wherever I wanted one. That seemed like a really good idea until Larry caught me chewing on one in my box and asking what the heck I was doing with that tomato. Oops! By that time, I’d already eaten half of one yellow and one red one. Later, after our walk, Larry said that tomatoes must be a great diuretic for dogs. I don’t know what the heck he was talking about.



Wednesday somebody left a bowl of salad on that same kitchen table. I scarfed that down before anybody could stop me. I heard Larry saying that nothing should be put on that table. I like standing on it and looking down at the floor. It’s a great vantage point for someone as short legged as I am.



I like finding new toys wherever I can. Mr. Vu was here to check out the air conditioning system. He had lots of cool things. Every time he wasn’t looking, I found a new toy. I hope he comes back soon.



Larry also got me a ball that looks just like a soccer ball. It’s a lot bigger than a tennis ball, but it’s really fun. I push it all over the house, kicking up rugs and moving some of the chairs around. You can tell pretty quick where I’ve been playing with the ball. You know, I still enjoy playing with Larry’s old orthopedic boot. I’ve tried to take it completely apart, but I’m not having a lot of luck. When I get a little frustrated with it, I just bounce it one the floor. It makes a heckuva racket.



The squirrels and birds are really getting to me. They don’t pay any attention when I bark at them, and I’m not allowed to catch them. And this darned bluejay we saw this morning buzzed me three times. I’m gonna keep my eye out for that little flying brat.



I got to go to a big party last Sunday in Paris , Virginia . I rode out there with Robyn Kennedy, the big dog at the Renwick. Everybody said I behaved real well at the party. Aunt Julia and Aunt Helen were there. I was so excited to see them. You probably don’t know, but I stayed with them out in the country when Larry was in Europe . I got to run and run out there in the country. There were strawberries and asparagus tips to eat and a little stream of water where I could drink and get cool. They had a swimming pool, but I didn’t want any part of that. I had such a good time I didn’t want to go home, but I’m glad I did.



There are lots of children around, including really little ones in strollers. I like to kiss their hands and feet when they’re hanging out. I just love all children and get all excited when I see them. But, hey, I like everybody. Larry says he thinks I’d make a good therapy dog. He says if I get certified we good visit older people and maybe even kids in hospital. I think I’d like that. We’ll see if he follows through.



Here’s hopin’ you’re having as much fun as I am.



Ben

1 comment:

Regina @VestPocketFamilyFarm said...

Ben's owner must be such a sweety!