Scrumptious Saturday~Pound Cake & Ice Cream Recipes



I couldn't decide what to post for this week's recipes and I asked for recommendations on my Facebook Page. Liz suggested pound cake because it uses so much butter. In addition, the recipe calls for milk and a generous amount of eggs. This is a great recipe to make in the spring when eggs from the farm are in abundance. I like to make the cakes up while I have excess eggs and freeze them. They come in handy for a quick dessert or as something to take along to pot lucks or family get-together. I have also pulled these cakes out on the spur of the moment to take to a grieving family who has out of town folks coming in for a funeral.

Pound cakes were the cakes made by our mothers, our grandmothers, and our great-grandmothers. The name 'pound' was given to this cake because the original recipes contained one pound of butter, one pound of sugar, one pound of eggs, and one pound of flour. While the pound cakes we make today often have different proportions from the original, they are still wonderfully rich, moist, and buttery with a lovely golden brown crust. (Information and photo taken from Joy of Baking.)

Here is my mother-in-law's recipe (and the one I use) for pound cake.

Easy Pound Cake

3 cups all purpose flour
3 cups sugar
1 cup butter
1 tsp. baking powder
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
6 large eggs

Beat first six ingredients at medium speed for six minutes with electric mixer. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each egg. Pour better into a greased and floured 10 inch tube pan. Bake at 325 for 1 hour and 30-45 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 15 minutes. Remove from pan and cool.

Charlotte recommended that I include an ice cream recipe on today's post and even offered this recipe for consideration.

Follow this link for Butter Pecan icecream to get the recipe! I am going to have to try this. It looks delicious!

Comments

Pound cake is one of my favorites--and the best one to freeze imho!
You can add some lemon juice and lemon zest for a zinger pound cake!
Happy baking!
Deb said…
To tell you the truth, I've never made pound cake...thought about it a time or two, but somehow never did. It really looks good so I'll have to try it! Thanks!!

That ice cream looks yummy too, going to have to try it once we start getting cream again. :)