Scrumptious Saturday ~ Fried Mozzarella

My poor husband always wants to know if I have to take pictures of everything we eat.  The answer, of course, is mostly yes.  ;-)

We had fried Mozzarella last night and I thought I would share my method here with you all.  I absolutely love fried Mozzarella.  I believe I could eat it every day and never tire of it.  I do limit myself, however, to every once in a while instead of daily!

First you must start with homemade Mozzarella.  If you need a recipe for homemade Mozzarella, I highly recommend this one



After slicing your pre-made Mozzarella, then you want to dip it in some slightly beaten eggs.  Eggs that come from free range or pastured hens are the very best. 



The next step is to roll the egg coated cheese in Italian bread crumbs.  You can use the store bought variety, or you can make your own bread crumbs and season with Italian seasonings.  I used the store bought kind. 



If you like, you can repeat by rolling the cheese in the eggs and then the bread crumbs again. 



It is best if you take your Mozzarella, at this point, and put it in the freezer.  By freezing the coated cheese, you will have more success in keeping more crumbs on the cheese and less in the bottom of your pan. 

When you get ready to cook your Mozzarella, heat your grease and then drop the cheese in the pan.  I like to use coconut oil for frying my Mozzarella.  Cook on one side and then turn over and cook on the other side.  When the cheese starts melting out of the sides, you know that it is ready!



You can also bake the breaded Mozzarella.

It is very messy and leaves a pan that can be hard to clean but so worth it! 

Enjoy!

Comments

Joseph and Emma said…
Sounds fabulous! I'm afraid this one needs to NOT be added to my recipe binder, in the interest of our arteries. =)

Emma
City Roots, Country Life
Deb said…
Oh I LOVE this stuff too, I roll mine in crushed cracker crumbs, cause I prefer it that way, but any coating will work good I'm sure. Oh I do soak mine in olive oil and garlic first...so it has more flavor than cracker crumbs will give it. It's a great snack I think, and very filling...we can't usually eat to many of them. :)
Corinne said…
This looks wonderful! It's making my mouth water .... yum!