AMJA REGISTERED BULL RAFFLE & ESSAY FOR FREE TICKET

Picture courtesy of Rankopedia


I posted a few weeks back that I was offering an AMJA registered bull calf to the winner of our drawing in exchange for $50 donations to World Help for Rosie's surgeries.  You can read more about the bull calf and the raffle at this link

The drawing will be on Christmas Eve and the cut off for accepting money towards the drawing is midnight December 23rd.  (We will continue to accept donations towards the Rosie Project until all of the needs are met.  We currently need $1200 more to have the total $6500 needed for her surgeries.  And the good news is she has already received her first surgery!)

Included in the drawing were a few "free tickets" that were donated by individuals who did not want to be considered for the drawing themselves.  To date, I have only had one individual write to me to be considered for the free tickets.  (I have four available.)

I wanted to share with you all the essay that was contributed for the free ticket and a chance at winning Jim Dandy:

Tammy-
If you would consider us for one of the “unwanted” raffle tickets I would greatly appreciate it.


Having the opportunity for a bull like Jim Dandy would make huge difference in our little farm. I’ve always wanted to jump into jerseys head first but due to financial constraints can never afford to buy our dream. We’re well prepared to care for our herd, just the initial investment makes it just out of reach for us. We are trying our best to create a down to earth environment to raise children and educate others. I get so much satisfaction out of seeing my friends’ children interact with our farm animals. We’ve decided that we’re just about ready for kids, I’m just trying to get the farm in line. I want to be able to raise my children to know the meaning and value of every animal-whether they are to be eaten or to provide products for consumption. We are steadily improving our farm. In 2011, we’ve turned a great deal of junk into working equipment. We’re now raising all of our own hay on my great grandparents’ home place and bringing it home to our little farm. We have big plans to add pigs next year if everything falls into place. Things are coming together-it is hard to believe at this point, but it is finally happening. Just this week we found my great grandparents old Surge vacuum pump and are starting to restore it. Life is coming together on a shoestring budget. The value of living local is taking hold. To be able to have our own bull would be a dream come true. When I first saw your photos of Dave I was in love. The thought of having a bull like him was unimaginable, I never realized that an opportunity might really exist. I’ve tried to locate a bull to lease for breeding my girls with no luck. Jim Dandy would alleviate all of my worries about getting my girls settled, and help shape our calves to be the size a jersey is supposed to be!


My farm is also my haven from a very stressful career. Some days just coming home to the routine of the farm is good medicine. As an animal control officer I spend each day dealing with peoples lack of respect and care for animals. I’ve tried to use my animals to educate as many people as possible. My horses have been used in training for other animal control officers. I hope to be able to do the same with my cows (and eventually pigs). Lack of experience is the main obstacle that animal control officers overcome. Most want to help, but have no prior experience with livestock. The more complete my farm becomes, the more it benefits local officers and therefore local animals. Several officers have expressed interest in coming down for some hands on experience and I look forward to having them! Even if they only take home one small piece of information it will be a better chance for them to make a difference. I’ve also made arrangements with some of my college professors to have field trips out to the farm. One of my cows has a field trip of her own coming up-she is going to a local school for show and tell for history class!

I wish we were in a position to be able to make a financial contribution to the Rosie fund. What you’ve done for her is amazing and I love to follow your posts about her.


Thanks for taking the time to consider us!


Tonya
 
*********************************************************************
 
We have received $800 to date on the bull raffle to be contributed to the fund for Rosie. (This has already been sent in to World Help.)  The following is a list of individuals that have entered into the drawing:
 
Ann


Joelle

Jodi

Liz

Janene

Tonya

Melissa

I am expecting a few more donations in the mail and those names will be included in this list and in the raffle.  If you do not see your name on this list and you have mailed me a check, please let me know.  I can include your name and contingent upon receiving your check that has been postmarked before the date of the drawing, we can go ahead and add your name to the hat!

Good luck to everyone!

*One minor correction on the information about Jim Dandy:  I went off my memory and did not look at his registration when I posted.  Upon reviewing his registration information, he is actually nine months old.  He is going to make someone a great bull!  *

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thank you for sharing the essay. Very touching and I wish her the best!