Monday, November 27, 2017

Monday Journal Entry




November 24, 2017

It was another whirlwind trip to Staunton.  I squeezed some time in with Analia and Rory, worked on our booth at The Factory Antique Mall, made a trip to the post office and bank, and made a trip to Goodwill to find me some jeans as the couple pairs of jeans I wear are falling apart.  Alissa had prepared a big meal for us, Gabino’s family and a few of her friends for Wednesday evening.  She did a great job.  The food was delicious.  Thursday (Thanksgiving) I helped a bit with the girls and then started my pies.  I made two apple pies and a large pot of green beans and potatoes to take to Mike’s mom’s for the family get together.  I finished, got the kitchen cleaned up, and showered just in time to get down there.  Mike’s cousin and his girlfriend had arrived from Ohio and it was so good getting to know them.  Carmen and I found out we have a lot in common, having lived/visited some of the same areas out west and having both grown up close to St. Louis.  We also both enjoy hiking and the outdoors and she had spent some time interning on a farm and enjoys agriculture.  It was also good to get better news about Mike’s sister in law.  She has recently been diagnosed with breast cancer and the news originally was that she was to have a double lumpectomy.  However. After a biopsy, they have found the one lump benign and will only have to remove the spots in one breast.  We are happy to hear the more positive diagnosis that won’t require as intensive of a surgery and the doctors expect a positive outcome from her treatment.  We were also happy for Mike’s nephew and his fiancé on their engagement that was just announced.  It is nice when life offers the joy to mingle with the hard times and we are happy for Mike’s brother’s family who has been going through a lot of hard times recently that they have this wedding to help to balance out some of the more difficult news that they have been receiving lately.  After we left the meal at the home place, we packed up and headed back to Laurel Fork.  About half way there, a deer decided to complicate our trip a bit.  He ran across Interstate 81 just south of Salem, Virginia and glanced the car in front of us.  I saw him coming between the rear of that car and the front of our car.  It was just a blur and neither of us had a chance to even speak or react when we felt the thud as our car that was traveling 65 to 70 miles an hour came in contact with the deer.  We pulled to the side of the road more to make sure the other couple were ok.   They had pulled over to see what damage had been done to their car and to check on us.  They were a young couple traveling from West Virginia and were very kind.  They didn’t receive more than a scratch and a small dent to the mirror on their car, but the driver’s side of our car was smashed in with the hood crumpled, lights out, and some kind of damage under the hood causing the car to overheat.  There was no fluid leaking but we suspect the fan was unable to cool properly due to the crumpled hood.  DOT personnel was on the scene almost immediately and the gentleman was very kind and helpful.  He waited with us until a state trooper arrived who was also very helpful and kind.  When the tow truck arrived, the driver was also cheerful, kind and helpful. Our insurance agent got on the phone with us on a holiday evening and gave us the information we needed as well.   We were thankful for so many people who could have been grouchy and irritable on a cold, holiday evening when they had to work but instead were considerate of the situation in which we found ourselves.  DOT was unable to locate a rental car with everything being shut down except the place at the airport and they were out of cars.  Not knowing if we would be able to get a car the next day because of the shortage due to the holidays, we called Mike’s nephew and his wife who live about 30 minutes away from where we had the accident.  The graciously came out in the cold, picked us up, loaded a car full of things into their vehicle and then offered us a place to stay for the night or their vehicle to get us the rest of the way home.  After visiting with them a few minutes we opted to go ahead and take them up on borrowing their car and just get on to Laurel Fork.  We were cold and tired when we got in after midnight, but thankful for our safety and all the people who made what could have been a really bad experience flow as smoothly as possible. 

November 25, 2017

Yesterday morning, we spent a good bit of time trying to locate a rental car and there was nothing available for Friday, so we found one for Saturday.  We will make a trip into Roanoke to pick up the rental car and then take Andy and JoAnna’s car back to them in Blacksburg.  That’s not exactly what we had planned for this Saturday but the deer that wrecked our car necessitated a change of plans for our weekend.  We are fortunate that so many people have stepped in and helped to make the whole incident less stressful than it might have otherwise been, so we can’t complain about the inconvenience of having to drive to Roanoke and pick up a car. 

After reserving a car, Mike started working on the barn again and I started taking down fall decorations and putting up Christmas decorations.  I got the lights up on the wrap around porch.  I have never used outdoor lights before but have always wanted to do so.  I just never had the time to put them up and didn’t make it a priority. I try to do simple things now that I have always wanted to do and stop putting them off.  Tomorrow never comes.  We only have today.

 When Mike and I started slowing down about a year ago we started practicing what I like to call “intentional living”.  We were “forced” into a position when Mike had his rotator cuff surgery where we had to step back, slow down, focus on only the most important tasks and let a lot of other things go until he was able to heal.  We found during that time that we had been missing out on a lot of things because we were always “too busy”.  It was during this time after Mike’s surgery that we began applying principals that allowed us to step back, slow down, focus on the most important task and give our souls a time to heal.  Our relationship had suffered over the years as we worked so hard to make the farm a success and as we tried to meet the needs of others (family, friends, neighbors, and clientele).  As Mike’s body healed, we were given the opportunity to make the decision to go back to life as it use to be, or to make wiser choices and stop letting life dictate to us.  Instead we began making intentional choices that helped us slow down, focus on each other, build stronger relationships with those we love and enjoy life rather than endure life.  That’s not to say that we didn’t enjoy life before, but intentional living focuses on breathing in the present.  I think of Mike’s dad and I believe he was one of the most balance human beings I have ever met.  He farmed until the day he died.  In fact, we found him on the ground beside his tractor, in the field, having died of an apparent heart attack while planting corn. Pops, as we called him, was a hard worker and never gave up on the call to farm, which was in his blood, but he passed the reigns down to his sons and then worked along side Mike in a supportive roll until his death.  There was a never a time when Pops was too busy to stop and talk to someone who needed him, whether that was family, friend or stranger.  He had a quiet and gentle way about him and much wisdom.  His light blue eyes would shine when he found something amusing or delightful and they filled with compassion as he recognized the hurts of those he loved.  I didn’t stop to process it or assign a term to the way Pops lived his life, but looking back, I see he was probably one of the best examples of intentional living as he somehow found the balance between achieving his goals and always being in the moment. 

The weather was gorgeous yesterday which was nice for Mike as he worked outside.  It started off really cold at around 20 degrees but warmed up quickly to the high 50’s.  Amidst my decorating, I washed three loads of clothes and hung them on the line to dry.  I enjoy hanging clothes on the line.  I always have.  I remember when I was a kid that was one of my jobs and I always preferred the chores that took me outdoors.  Late afternoon as I was working on the Christmas lights, Mike came down from the barn and said he needed me to come with him to see something at the barn.  I just walked to the barn in my moccasins that I wear around the house but when we got to the barn he said I needed to climb the ladder because what he wanted me to see was on the roof.  I started telling him I was wearing the wrong kind of shoes to be climbing ladders and scaling rooftops, but ended up climbing up without going back to change my shoes.  We climbed onto the lower section that is less than six feet off the ground and from there made our way up the sloped roof until we got to the section where the shed attaches to the barn and we climbed up and onto that roof.  This put us up to the barn on the backside of the loft and we were facing west.  The sun was high enough to shine brightly over the mountain peaks and the metal roof of the shed was reflecting the heat.  Even though it was only about 55 degrees at that time, it felt like summer there on that roof and after I inspected Mike’s work, I sat down there on the rooftop and soaked in some rays.  Mike had taken me to the roof to show me his work on the backside of the barn.  I had honestly thought that section of the barn would probably never get finished once the contractors left and it was not complete.  There are so many other things pulling at us for our time that I thought perhaps Mike would not get to that and it would go undone.  Instead, there it was in front of me, the smell of fresh cut lumber and the boards carefully cut and placed to give the back of the barn a fresh look and add many more years of service for the animals that will be housed and milked there.  I couldn’t have been happier with the November sun warm on my face and dreams and plans taking shape but most of all, feeling close to my husband and loving him. 

November 26, 2017

Yesterday was another gorgeous day, especially for November in the mountains.  It started off cold but warmed up very quickly.  Mike set out right after breakfast to get some more work done on the barn.  I took the opportunity to wash and hang more clothes on the line and then focus on some writing.  Getting back to writing has been a part of my focus on “intentional living”.  Writing is such a big part of me and I had let things like forums and Facebook rob the time that I could have spent writing with more focus.  Looking back, I can see that those hours spent on social media outlets were like eating at McDonalds when I could have been fine dining.  By giving up the “few minutes here and few minutes there” on Facebook or a community forum, I can find the time to journal and write and the writing that I do is more meaningful to me.  I have never intended to give up social media completely forever, but the longer I am away from it, the less desire I have to return. 

Yesterday afternoon we had to drive to Roanoke and pick up a rental car.  We were unable to get one Thursday or Friday but they had one available for us on Saturday.  When we got there, we didn’t have all the insurance information we needed, so we called our agent.  We are so fortunate to have an insurance agent who actually takes his job personally and has old fashioned values towards his clients.  We got that straightened out and then Mike went to get the car while I was to follow in our Nephew’s car that he had loaned to us.  Mike couldn’t find the car in the airport parking lot for a while.  I could see him walking back and forth looking for it.  When he did find it, he called me and said he didn’t have a clue how to start it.  It was a “key-less start” car and rather than a “gear shift” it had a dial for the drive, reverse, neutral, etc.  He sat there for a few minutes until he figured it out and later we had a good laugh about it.  I told him it was like “The Clampett Go to Hollywood” only it was “The Cupps Go to Roanoke”.  The holiday weekend traffic was horrible and when he offered to take me somewhere to eat I declined with “Just get me out of Roanoke and back to Laurel Fork where I belong.”  When we stopped by to drop off our nephew’s car, they asked us to stay and eat Thanksgiving leftovers with them, which we did, and everything was delicious.  We had a great time cutting up and laughing.  We always enjoy being with them so much.  We got home around 9:30 and by the time I washed up and got into my pajamas, Mike was already asleep, so I just went to bed as well. 

November 27, 2017

Yesterday was an incredibly busy day.  We had Mike’s cousin and his girlfriend with us for part of the day.  They did not get away as soon as they had planned and ended up not getting to our place until late afternoon.  Usually, we leave by late afternoon to return to Staunton but we wanted to spend some time with our out of state company.  We had a really good time with them, hiking to “the back forty”, eating a meal at the Crooked Oak Restaurant, and just having some heart to heart talks.  I had only just met Carmen on Thanksgiving but found her to be one of those people with whom meaningful conversation happens early in the relationship and we reached a level of communication that was comfortable for both of us almost immediately.  We ended up not leaving Laurel Fork until after midnight and arriving in Staunton just before 3 am.  I needed to be up and ready to watch the girls at 6 giving me only three hours of sleep.  I’m reminded that fifty-year olds need more sleep than that.  It’s going to be a long day.