Tuesday, October 09, 2018

Freezer Slaw (Reviewed and Updated September 25, 2022)

Recently I found some hand, written recipes from my grandmother and I thought I would share this particular recipe here.  I remember that it was frequently requested from her by family and friends.


Freezer Slaw
 1 Medium Cabbage Chopped
1 Carrot Grated
1 Teaspoon of Salt
Mix salt with chopped cabbage and let stand for one hour.  Then, squeeze out all moisture and add carrot. 

Vinegar Dressing
1 Cup Vinegar (I used Bragg's Apple Cider)
1/4 Cup of water
1 teaspoon mustard seed
1 teaspoon celery seed
2 Cups sugar (Adjust to taste)
Combine and boil for one minute.  Cool to lukewarm and pour over the cabbage mixture.  


  
Toss slaw and vinegar, mixing well.  

 Place in freezer containers or freezer bags and store in the freezer until ready to use.  Thaw thoroughly before serving and serve as is or mix with a bit of mayo.  Last up to six months in the freezer.  

Of course, this does not taste like slaw made with fresh cabbage and has a stronger vinegar base than what we are used to eating, but I am impressed with how the cabbage retains most of its crispness with this recipe.  It is a good way to use up cabbage if one has an excess in the fall.