Monday, November 01, 2021

Monday Journals

 


October 25, 2021,

Like the comfort of my favorite blanket that cocoons me each night, my daily routines offer me a place of peace and respite from an unpredictable and cruel world.  I’ve experienced too much turmoil in life to ever take for granted days that many would find mundane or even restrictive. 

The year 2020 and the rise of Covid 19 confirmed what I’ve always believed to be true about myself.  The desire to be self-sustaining is not just a fantasy or an overactive imagination brought on by my reading too many pioneering novels as a child. It is just a part of who I am. Some of my earliest memories include “gathering” weeds that reminded me of wheat, bundling them together, and stacking them for “long term storage”.  Some would say it’s a primal instinct, the need to hunt and gather.  I guess it is.  Perhaps even those people who wouldn’t spend a day gathering the harvest, raising, or hunting their meat, would admit that they love to stock up on their favorite snack item from the grocery store or thrill when they find that elusive item of clothing they have been wanting at a good price.  Perhaps the hunting and gathering instincts have “evolved” for some so that we don’t even recognize them as hunting and gathering instincts.  My needs have always been basic. Unlike many who can’t determine what they want in life, I have always known.    

One of my routines is to listen for the sound of the birds in early morning. This is easier to do in the spring and summer when I sleep with the windows open.  The early bird lifts his voice, loud and clear and soon the others follow.  These calls surround me with such volume that I feel I am living in an aviary.  In the fall and winter, with my windows closed to the outdoors, I must step outside on my back porch and listen a bit more intently for the sounds of my winged friends.  Life is fragile for all of creation.  Will my favorite warbler be back next spring?  He clings to my window after catching flies and looks at me with bright eyes seemingly not afraid appearing out of nowhere in the spring and then suddenly at summer’s end, he is gone.  Each time I wonder if he return or will something snatch his fragile life in the interim. This time of year, in the fall and winter, my focus is often on the woodpeckers.  We have multiple varieties and I listen for their reverberating sounds.  I exhale when I hear them.  I pray they will find peace in our woods and remain so that I can continue to hear the echoes of their efforts. 

October 26, 2021

I stepped from the porch and smelled the smoke wafting from the chimney.  With cold winds blowing at 50 miles per hour today, Mike started our first fire of the season.  The scent of the burning wood gave me pause and I mentally settled into that moment in the fall when things begin to slow.  We are ready for winter with plenty of seasoned firewood, a cellar full of home canned goodness, cheese made from milk from our Jersey cows aging in the cheese cave, and multiple freezers full of beef, pork and seasonal produce we grow in our gardens.  The barns are full of hay and the animals have improved fence and pastures.  This time last year there was no slowing down.  Due to Covid, I worked even harder to provide milk and dairy products to several families, keeping the milk frig full and working almost daily making cheese.  Then when restrictions eased up and groceries became more available and accessible, the need for our products waned. Mostly I think folks were tired of restrictions, began eating out more, and were happy to get their groceries at Walmart once again.  Weary with all the efforts of the past year, I decided to “retire” from the milk share program once again.  It wasn’t the labor-intensive schedule that wore me out, but rather the fickleness of people who support the local farmer when it benefits them. People soon forget that a farmer can’t build a business around occasional sales and an individual is unable to provide a Walmart setting where a customer can just pick up a dozen eggs or a carton of milk from time to time.  It takes more dedication than that from customers in order build a sustaining business as a local farmer.  Fortunately for me, we are close enough to retirement and have other income (beef and hay sales for example) that I don’t have to continue to provide milk and dairy for us to make ends meet.  I have reclaimed my home and space and no longer have people coming in and out and that suits me.   Having given up the share program once after my grandchildren were born so that I could spend time with them, I found myself involved again when we moved to Laurel Fork.  At this point in my life, my peace is more important than the few dollars I might bring to the budget.  This time, I am determined, and Mike is on board with my decision that I will only be milking and making cheese and dairy for our family.  Entering this slower season of autumn and then winter, having downsized my number of dairy cows, and not feeling pressure to provide for others, I am selfishly looking forward to a rest. 

October 27, 2021

I wonder how many people remember their first prayer.  I remember mine.

 I couldn’t have been more than three years old and just barely at that.  I don’t know if my parents had told me they were expecting a baby or even if I had heard someone talking about it.  In my memory, the idea was all my own. I had decided that I needed a baby and it had to be a brother.  I remember my mother explaining to me that she was unable to fulfill my request, and that only God could choose if I would get a brother or a sister.  I was bold and very confident that I could talk to God about the situation.  I remember distinctly walking onto the porch of our little pink house that sat just off Mt. Olive Road in a small community in Missouri.  I can still hear the silver, screen door slamming behind me.  I looked up into a clear, blue sky and I asked God to please give me a baby brother.   A sister would not do; it had to be a brother.  I walked back inside and told my mother that I had prayed, and that God was going to give me a brother.  She asked me what would happen if it were a girl and how would I feel.  I confidently told her that God would make it a boy.

Fifty-one years ago on October 27th I got exactly what I had prayed for in that first ever prayer for me.  A baby brother with eyes as blue as the sky into which I had gazed while praying for him.  I’m pretty sure I was the proudest sister ever.  It never occurred to me to doubt that my prayer would not be answered.  Of course, it didn’t take me long to find out that all desires are not fulfilled and that God isn’t some magic granter of wishes, but I will always remember that first prayer and the joy of believing that God had heard me. 

October 28, 2021

Our morning started early with Buddy barking to warn us of an intruder.  Cattle from a neighboring farm found their way to our yard and decided to help themselves to the grass.  The next hour involved multiple calls to the County Sherriff’s department to try to make sure the cows were off the main road and out of traffic and to find their owner.  That was my job.  Mike went into the dark morning following most of the cattle up the road to determine where they needed to be returned.  The Sherriff’s Deputies said they didn’t have any information to provide on the owner who lives out of state and only puts eyes on his cattle a couple of times a year (or sends someone else to do it).  Mike and the deputies were unsuccessful in getting the basically feral cattle returned to their own property and behind their fence but so far, they have not returned to our yard.

Since I was up already, I made cottage cheese and started an 8-gallon batch of curds for Colby Jalapeno Cheese.  I took a break from the kitchen to milk and feed the animals and then came back and got to work on finishing up the cheese curds.  Early afternoon, the work in the kitchen was finished (except for getting supper together later) and I took an early walk with Buddy.  We startled a rabbit, Buddy jerking fiercely on his leash.   When I pulled him back and sternly told him no, he listened.  Three years ago, I would have been most likely pulled to the ground, and he would have been off on an adventure, returning days later.  Buddy and I have come so very far in the last three years.  It’s really nothing short of a miracle. 

Back from walking, I was talking to Mike when I turned and looked out the living room window toward the stream that runs through our property.  A Great Blue Heron glided to the ground and came to a stop.  Mid-sentence I changed directions, explaining to Mike that I was watching my bird. I turned myself backwards, knees on the sofa cushions and arms resting on the sofa’s back so that I could watch for a while.  Herons never seem to get in a hurry.  There have been times I have stood still waiting for them to move.  Like the game children play where they stare at each other until the loser blinks first, I have stood unblinking and unmoving waiting for the perfectly still Heron  but I am always the one who moves first.  He doesn’t seem afraid.  In fact, he seems almost as curious of me as I am of him.  Sometimes, I see two of them flying together in the evenings as if they are taking a little jaunt before settling down.  Today, I strain my eyes to see the Heron whose movement seems both fluid and painstakingly slow as he makes his way to the stream.  His color and the way his body curves forward help him blend in with his surroundings.  If I stare, I can see a little movement from time to time, helping me to focus once again.  Every time I am able to observe the Heron, I feel that I have been especially blessed. 

October 29, 2021

We hadn’t planned on leaf viewing today but I am so glad we did.  After an inch and half of rain overnight along with some strong winds the last few days, I just assumed most of the leaves would have turned loose at this point.  After morning chores, I asked Mike if he wanted to run an errand and then go with me to the fabric store in Fancy Gap.  I laughed and told him to bring his iPad for company because I couldn’t see him going inside with me to pick fabric, and I was not going to rush to get back to the car.  I found him napping when I returned to the car with my purchase. 

We decided to take the long way home and took various roads we had not driven before until we finally figure out where we were.  Then we would take another road in the general direction of home, but one with which we were not entirely familiar so that we could intentionally “get lost” for a while.  We love doing this.  It is one of our favorite past times.  So many of the roads we find when getting intentionally “lost” are only wide enough for one vehicle.  Usually, we never meet another car, but when we do, one must hug the side of the road and allow the other vehicle to creep past.  Some of the curves are so sharp, oncoming vehicles are not visible until it’s almost too late to stop.  I love these backroads drives no matter which of the four seasons we are experiencing.  The scenery is always beautiful.

October 30, 2021

By the time I turned eight gallons into curds for aged cheese, cleaned up the kitchen, and took care of the other daily responsibilities including twice a day milking, there was no time left today to sew which had been my goal for the day.  I can’t stand to see the milk go to waste, and since I am no longer marketing it, making aged cheese is the best way to use up large amounts of milk for long term storage.  My new cheese press holds curds made from eight gallons of milk instead of only four gallons of curd I processed in my old press. Keeping ahead of the milk is only part of my week, although it may be the most demanding.  Our lifestyle includes growing and preserving all our own vegetables, purchasing and preserving fruit straight from the orchards in bulk and preserving it, raising our own beef and pork, and milking our own cows and providing all of the dairy products we consume.  We also make all the hay we use to feed our cows. 

The aesthetic beauty of the “coattagecore” life is quite popular now.  There were a series of photos making their rounds on social media sites of rustic cottages, livestock grazing in the fields nearby, kitchen gardens and clothes on the line.  I wonder if those who pine for such a life have the tiniest clue how much work is involved? Do they realize that the one moment of beauty captured in a photo takes unending, backbreaking, and often heartbreaking effort to attain?   Rustic cottages are not the climate-controlled housing to which most Americans are accustomed.  The peaceful scene of animals in the fields requires blood, sweat and tears on the part of the farmer.  It’s a life that looks appealing to many, but few have the passion and tenacity to maintain it.

 Mike understands the life I lead comes from the core of my being and I am clinging to it for as long as I am physically able.  We don’t have to live the way we live.  We could live in a more comfortable and larger home.  (We actually have one on the market in Augusta County that we are giving up.)  We could buy our fruit and vegetables already canned in the grocery stores.  We could buy our meat already packaged and frozen from animals that don’t have known names, and we could sleep in every morning without worrying about being on a schedule for milking the cows.  As odd as it makes me, these are the things I love.  And yet, there is something to the whole aesthetic pull of the cottagecore lifestyle that is romanticized so often.  In the midst of another extremely busy day, I happened to turn and glance out the window to see the sun shining on the tops of the trees in all their autumn splendor.  Where they touched a sky filled with rain clouds in a beautiful shade of gray, the contrast was breathtaking.   I smiled, grabbed my camera, stepped out onto my front porch,  and captured the moment.  Making this life work is about the sacrifice.  It takes days filled with work to sustain a lifestyle that offers fleeting moments of peace and beauty.  The ability to recognize and find satisfaction in those elusive moments is, I believe, what makes some people successful at living this life.  And this is true for all of us, no matter what path we choose.

October 31, 2021

Because our house sits on a manmade knoll to protect it from all the springs and streams in the rainy season, the unsightly line that runs from one pole to another on the lower surface cuts across my view around eye level when looking from our windows.  I would complain except that a Belted Kingfisher uses it as his observation perch while looking for his next meal.  I noticed the bird not long after we closed on our property over four and a half years ago now and he has been a joy to me with multiple sighting of him each day.  When I am busy and not paying attention, I often hear his distinctive call, loud and telling.  I am saddened to learn that this bird’s numbers are believed to be on the decline, their nesting sites disturbed and destroyed more and more frequently.  During my busy days, when I have cause to leave the kitchen and walk to the front of the house, I search for the bird and often find him sitting on the telephone line with an almost hunched look to his shoulders.  As I view him from behind, the distinctive belt around his neck is clearly visible.  He stares with intent, patiently waiting until he sees a fish, tadpole, frog, or perhaps some aquatic bug and then he dives straight down and captures his meal with precision. 

Change is necessary at times, but all change comes with a price tag.  Often my nature is to rebel against that price tag.  Leave me alone to live life much the way our grandparents did in the 40’s.  Let me milk my own cows, churn my own butter, grow my own “victory garden” and spend my days keeping to my house and farm and mostly away from people.  Let my visits with others be infrequent but meaningful.  Let the news of the world trickle to me slowly.  I don’t want to be uninformed; I just don’t want to be blasted with information twenty-four hours a day.  Instead of multiple phone calls a day, a special call once a week to catch up with family is a joy.  The art of letter writing when one sits down with pen and paper thinking about their loved ones and investing a few moments to keep in touch is much more meaningful to me than a text message or email.  I realize that I am blessed to be able to live this life I choose, but to live this way also means hard work and sacrifice.  We all make sacrifices in some capacity to live the lives we lead.  I worry that my grandchildren won’t have a choice in lifestyles, and that this life I choose today will be completely gone someday.  Like the Belted Kingfisher and the other birds whose habitat declines due to the progression of man, will the life I lead be endangered someday as well? Is it already?  I cling passionately to the land with a fierceness.  Like the Kingfisher hunched on the telephone line just following his instincts to survive, I hunch my shoulders, set my gaze, and keep the course.