Thursday, January 27, 2022

Fruit Cocktail Cake ~ A Vintage Recipe for an Easy Dump Cake

 I made home canned fruit cocktail in pint jars this past summer which brought back to me the memory of fruit cocktail cake, something I had not eaten since I was a kid!  (I mean, how many times have you seen fruit cocktail cake served in the last 30 years?)  Mike had never eaten it but was an immediate fan of not only the flavor but also how moist it is.  And who can resist the brown sugar and pecans on top?  Combine all of this with the fact that it's an easy dump cake, and you have a hands down winner of a recipe! 


Simple and delicious, fruit cocktail dump cake.



FRUIT COCKTAIL CAKE

1 Cup of Flour

1 Cup of White Sugar (This is too much sugar for us.  I reduce to a half a cup and I am going to try a quarter of a cup next time.  The Fruit Cocktail juice adds sugar as does the brown sugar topping.)

1 egg

1 teaspoon of baking soda

1 can (16 oz) of Fruit Cocktail

1/2 cup packed brown sugar.  (I just sprinkle some on top.  1/2 cup seems like a lot)

1/2 cup of pecans

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a square baking pan.  (I used a vintage corning ware dish that's 8x8 approximately) 

Dump all the ingredients into a large mixing bowl except the brown sugar and pecans.  Mix thoroughly and then pour into your greased pan.  Sprinkle with brown sugar and place pecans on top.  Bake until done but not overdone.  The recipe calls for 40 minutes but mine cooks faster than that.  You want the cake to be springy on top when done but you want to be careful not to overbake it.  As soon as the cake springs back to the touch, I remove it from the oven.  Also, I do not wait for it to cool completely before I cover the cake.  Trapping the moisture in just makes it that much better!  I do refrigerate the cake for longer storage.  It will go bad quickly if not refrigerated.  


Enjoy!