Monday, June 20, 2022

AND THEN THERE WERE FOUR (AND MOMMA MAKES FIVE) ~ A Journal Entry

 




June 20, 2022


“There’s another one,” Mike said referring to the kittens. 

“What?” I almost panicked.  “Another cat has taken up residence in our barn?” 

“God, please don’t let it be a male,” I exclaimed thinking he was talking about an adult cat and praying it wasn’t a Tom.  We had not even been close to taming momma cat yet. (I am planning on having her spayed when we do.)

“No,” Mike answered.  “It’s another kitten.  She has four babies instead of three as we originally thought. This one has a tiny bit of white on it.” 

A deep, long sigh was all that I could manage.   “Ok, so we have four kittens instead of three.”  My mind processed this information.  We had been trying to get close to the kittens to tame them, hoping that we can find them good homes.  The problem is Momma cat has been very diligent to warn her babies that they are not to associate with the humans.  Sometimes, upon entering the barn, we would see the tail end of a single kitten as it ran away.  Other times we could count two, or even three hidden in the barn walls if we looked between the boards with one eye and shined a bright light.  Always, Momma cat continued to hiss and growl even though I have tried to explain to her that she is a guest, and the barn belongs to the humans.  She continues to insist that SHE is the queen, this is HER palace, and we are her servants.   Never in my wildest dreams could I have seen myself catering to a feline!  I’m a dog person, a cow person, and would even consider myself a chicken or a goat person before I would ever think of catering to a cat.  I tell myself it’s because of the babies.  Babies are helpless and I have a tender heart for babies of any species, evidently even for cats.  (Don’t let Mike ever tell you this was all my idea.  He will try to put it off on me, you know, but he’s the one donning leather gloves and attempting to pet momma while she laps her milk and this is AFTER she bit him.) 

I was beginning to lose hope after feeding Raven (yes, I gave her a name) and her kittens for several weeks with seemingly no acceptance from them.  Raven had the kittens very well trained to avoid humans.  They ran from us, and they hissed, slapped, and bit when we tried to retrieve them from their hiding places.  I talked to my friend.  She loves cats.  She understands them; I do not.  She said we might not be able to tame them because some cats remain feral no matter what humans do.  I began to resign myself to this and consider ways to trap them in case we are not able to finally make them comfortable enough with us that we can catch them.  I gave Raven her milk one quiet morning and sat down a few feet away from her hoping she would relax.  After a few moments, one of the kittens emerged from behind a built-in wooden feed box in our century-old barn.  I didn’t move.  Then, a few minutes later, another one came from a space between the walls.  Before long, all four of the kittens were lapping milk beside their momma.  I didn’t dare move (and I prayed that no more cats were hiding and waiting for a big reveal)!  While I remained still, they continued to drink the milk I had poured for them:  three solid black kittens and one with a splotch of white on its chest looking like someone had splashed a dab of bleach on a pair of black jeans. 

One morning walking through the barn, I was shocked to feel resistance under the toe of my shoe.  In horror, I realized that the momma cat had been so close to me that I had accidentally kicked her.  I looked at her to offer my apologies and she hissed at me.  “Geeze, cat!” I said with more than a hint of exasperation.  “I didn’t mean to kick you.  How was I to know you were walking practically on top of my feet!” Then I realized that was the closest she has been to me, and I hoped that my accidentally kicking her would not deter her from future contact. 

And that is how, this morning, despite not needing to milk the cow (as we are working on drying her off to give her a break before she calves in the fall), Mike and I found ourselves sitting on the floor of the barn watching our five cats lapping milk.  It was kind of pleasant there with the early morning sounds all around us and the morning light sneaking through the open barn door.  It was nice knowing we had the time to sit quietly together and watch the kittens play once their tummies were full.  

Maybe, just maybe, cats aren’t so bad after all. 

Who would have ever thought?