Tuesday, June 07, 2022

Black Cats and Spiders ~ Journal Entry

 

Raven, the barn cat, with her headless mole.  



Black Cats and Spiders

It isn’t the season to write of black cats and spiders, but their presence isn’t confined to Halloween.  Both feline and arachnid seemed to arrive at our place around the same time.  If I were superstitious, I might say that the ominous, black cat had something to do with the bit of bad luck I had with the spider. 

On several occasions, we witnessed a cat making its way through our yard toward the barn.  Any small animal that decides to take an obvious path through our dog’s domain is putting its life in danger. Fortunately for the furry, feline our cat-hating dogs were sound asleep at the time.  When we didn’t see the cat for a while after that, we assumed she was just passing through.  Two weeks ago, Mike mentioned that he had seen her slip through a hole in the barn floor as he entered and it seemed like she had taken up residence.

Around this same time, I woke up one morning and mentioned that a mosquito must have bitten me during the night.  There was a tiny, red bump on my arm and while it looked a bit different than a mosquito bite, it itched.  I made a mental note not to scratch it and went on with my day.  For several days the bite was mildly annoying but not a big deal.  Then things began to change and the place on my arm begin to spread out; the whole section of my arm on the underside between the elbow and wrist began to swell considerably.  I developed a red ring around the swollen area, and I had a distinct “bull’s eye” that took up a large portion of the underside of my arm.  This portion of my arm began to experience a painful and radiating itching and burning that made me want to rip my skin off.  Fortunately, it wasn’t a constant sensation, but when it happened, I would run hot water over my arm.  I would make the water so hot that it would have been uncomfortable to any other portion of my body.  I could barely feel the hot water in the center of the bite, but it was the only thing that would reduce the itching sensation.  I considered the possibility of a tick bite and called my doctor who prescribed antibiotics over the phone.  The wound, however, continued to fester and irritate.  Eventually, I did see the doctor who examined the bite and said there was no doubt that the area in question was the result of a spider.  The symptoms point to the venomous brown recluse spider as the culprit of my injury.  So, with that bit of “bad luck”, it would be easy to believe that the black cat that moved undetected by the dogs through our yard was a sign and the precursor to this unfortunate incident. The good news is that after a round of antibiotics, the infection is gone, and the swelling has all but vanished.  Now, I am left with a deep sore, an ugly, large scar, and a scab that may take a while to heal. 

Here is where the story returns to the cat.

I hate to admit it, but I don’t “like” cats; in fact, they kind of freak me out.  (Not to mention that I am allergic to them.)  When I see a cat, I telepathically send vibes to the creatures:  “Stay away, stay away, stay away……”  This only seems to make them more determined and attracted to me, and I don’t necessarily mean attracted to me in a good way. 

I could tell stories.  There was an incident in Alaska when a friend somehow convinced me to spend the night with her where she was housesitting.  What she didn’t tell me was the house belonged to the proverbial cat lady.   I ended up sleeping in the bathroom with the door locked while every single one of the dozens of cats threw themselves against the door all night long trying to get to me! It’s true!  They screeched and they banged, and I thought I was in the house of horrors!  I left early the following morning and my aversion to cats intensified after that incident. 

When I visit my longtime friend, who loves cats, I load up on antihistamines. I don’t care what she says, her cats are evil.   They insist on rubbing against me and one even tried to bite my toes! As a good friend, I mourn with her when she loses a beloved pet, but I might have been just a bit happy when the toe-biting feline could no longer terrorize me anymore!   I could share additional stories that prove there is no lost love between myself and the felines, but my best friend is probably the only person who will forgive me for not liking cats (and I never actually met the Alaskan cat lady, so I think my story can be safely told with offending her).  As far as my other cat-loving friends are concerned, to share my dislike for their precious babies would most likely cause serious damage to our friendship, so for the sake of peace, I will refrain from telling stories about their cats. 

No more thought was given to the cat, thanks to the fact that my mind was consumed with the itching, burning, and swelling in my arm.  I was trying to push down the fear that my entire appendage might just rot away.  In this frame of mind, I found myself sitting on a stool in the milking parlor with my sore arm gently and strategically placed on the stanchion bar, while I watched the milking machine extract milk from my cow, Ginger.  I talk to my cows, my dogs, the chickens, wild birds, frogs, toads, deer, and even salamanders, but when I heard a cat meow, I was sure she was not talking to me. 

“That cannot be a cat,” I said to myself.  Again, I heard a cat meow and this time it was clear that she WAS talking to me.  I sighed, I turned, and I observed her sitting behind me far enough away that she felt safe.  She talked sweetly and since I really try to show gentleness and care toward all creatures, I answered.  “Ok, I will give you some milk but you have to be patient.”  She continued to meow until I gave her something to eat.  The next day, she did not come out to look for milk but assuming she was close by I poured some milk into a bowl and called to her, using her language.  “Meow.  Meow.  Meow.”  (I can do a pretty, darn good imitation of a cat if I do say so myself.)  She answered me but didn’t come out.  I tried again.  “Meow.  Meow.  Meow.”  This time she came out and began to drink the milk. 

The cat is very small and thin.  I remarked to Mike that she must be very young.  I was encouraged by the fact she had initially reached out to me and then that she had responded to my calls for her.  I began to think that I might just call her Lucky and if we were lucky enough, she would take up residence in the barn where she could help us keep the mouse population under control.  We needed a cat for that.  My plan was that I would feed her every day, she would soon come to adore me in the manner my dogs always have, and while we couldn’t cuddle up together due to my allergies, we would become good friends.  Once I could touch her, I would take my antihistamines, put her in a carrier and take her to the clinic so that she could be vaccinated and spayed.  I was feeling warm and fuzzy about it all. 

On day three, Mike discovers that this lucky cat has three kittens, old enough to run about, all black just like their momma.  Lucky me.  Now I have four felines under my care.  Trying to be optimistic (kittens are adorable after all), I kept a positive attitude.  Immediately I began to try to find homes for at least two of the kittens even though we had not put our hands on them yet.  Once they were weaned, I would simply adopt them out to good homes, and I would make sure the kitten population was kept in check.  I happily went to the barn with my camera to get photos of the adorable balls of fluff but when I opened the barn door, I was met halfway across the floor by an angry momma cat.  She aggressively hissed, lunged toward me, and made it very clear that I was not welcome.  So much for being lucky!  She had a mole under the steps, and she went back to it.  The mole was already headless, and she was crunching on its neck.  Gross. She continued to growl and hiss at me while eating the mole.  It was obvious her babies had been told to hide and I wouldn’t get lucky enough to see them, at least not that day.  “Whatever,” I thought “I don’t care about dumb cats anyway.” 

This morning Mike reminded me that we needed to give “our cats” some milk.  Feeling generous I told him instead of sharing the older milk, I would give them some fresh from the cow.  With visions of tiny kittens lapping up warm milk from a bowl, I took my camera along as well.  When I opened the door to the barn, those sweet images disappeared as I heard a thump and saw the butt of a tiny kitten scampering under the floor.  Momma cat advanced toward me snarling and hissing. 

“Good morning to you too,” I remarked. 

Hiss.

“This is MY barn you know.”

Growl

“I’m in charge here, not you!”

Hiss.  Snarl.  Growl.  (While advancing towards me.)

“Ok, you win.  It’s your barn.”

I sighed and went dutifully to get the cow so that I could get the momma cat some warm milk.    

No, Lucky simple won’t work as a name for this black cat that showed up in our barn. I’m thinking a name derived from a dark Edgar Allen Poe poem would be more appropriate.

Raven is a good name for a nemesis.