Monday, May 21, 2018

Monday Journals




May 16, 2018

I’ve always been the kind of person that handles extreme situations fairly well.  I used to work for Liberty University in Lynchburg, Virginia.  (While I tend to disassociate myself with Liberty now, at the time I was a single mom and desperately needed the job) I worked for the University police department.  I started out working mostly dispatch but I had to have all the same courses at the security guards and police officers.  Because I was a woman (and they only had a couple of women working for the department) and because I took the courses to become an EMT, they often had me work as an armed security guard instead of dispatching.  (Anyone that knows me now, knows that I came to align myself with pacifism as a matter of conscience, but at that time I carried a gun 24 hour a day and was paid to do so for 8-16 hours a day, often pulling double shifts at the University Police Department.)  During that time, I was often in situations that were potentially dangerous or that required quick and deliberate thinking on my part.

Other times in my life that were particularly stressful included, my first marriage.  Later in my life, though things were great with my second marriage and peaceful between Mike and I, I faced the stress of the loss of my son and the court proceedings and sentencing of the young man whose actions either directly caused or aided in my son’s death.  I also learned that full time farming brings with it many stresses.  Stress seems to have been a theme of my life.    

All of us as humans face a tremendous amount of stress, and while my experiences are uniquely mine, I am not an isolated example of a person who has dealt with extreme stress. Stress is a part of life for all of humankind.  Over the last eighteen months, Mike and I have done a lot to eliminate many of our external stressors, realizing that we are getting older and life is short.  On the other hand, we have made choices that have proven stressful, such as the choice to move three hours away from Staunton and yet returning weekly to care for the children and to farm there.  The restfulness of our place in Laurel Fork was a good balance for us but I don’t think I realized until the very end just how stressful the frequent trips back and forth were on us.  The last few weeks have seemed brutal and I am weary and I feel like the soldier who has fought hard for a cause and when the end is near is so weary that she wonders if she can make it.  Although we no longer have to be in Staunton every Monday to watch the Little Girls, other family responsibilities and farming responsibilities have meant we have continued to make the trip weekly.

There is the recent injury for my grandma which has been a huge stress.  Initially I met the stress of her situation with deliberate determination and the strength that comes from knowing one has a difficult task to face.  Now with the details that face us and the decisions that have to be made I feel like I want to have a good cry and then sleep forever, but that hasn’t happened yet.  The hardest part is grandma’s confusion which results in her not understanding why she has to stay in rehabilitation right now, why she can’t walk on her foot, and why she can’t just go home.  This results in discussion between us in which I patiently explain to her again the necessity of her stay at the rehabilitation center at the nursing home.  Because we have two different people who are family members working with her there, we know that she is getting great care.  We know that during the day she is socializing, engaging in activities and conversations, and doing well.  We also know that at night as her “sundowners” kicks in that she gets frantic, irrational, and is miserable making things difficult for herself and for the staff.  This isn’t something new.  For several years now, she has barricaded herself in her house as night falls, pushing chairs and heavy furniture against the doors, drawing up the shades tight, watching her Gaither tapes until she manages to fall asleep for a few hours, and then getting up and pacing the floors frantically for hours from around 2 am until daylight.  We know this because she would tell me that she was getting up, that she was unable to decipher the time, and that her nights were miserable.  We mentioned this to her family doctor on several occasions and he gave her an anxiety med, but she would not take it on a regular basis.  The last couple of times Mike and I visited, we saw how it had progressed.  She would come into our room multiple times during the night, yelling at us to get up, telling us we were going to be late, or just simply barging in and staring at us like she was trying to figure out who we were and why we were there.  It was heartbreaking to watch her frantically running the hall, taking showers every morning at 2 am, fretting and exhausting herself to the point that when daylight finally came she would fall asleep in the recliner.  In the day time, she was perfectly able to carry on delightful conversations with others, loved to socialize, and was perfectly poised.  Her manner leaves those who don’t see her actions at home feeling that the family is over reacting about her condition.  Unable to even convince her family doctor that she needed more than just a small dose of anxiety meds (which she didn’t take) and that she needed full time assistance, I could not get the doctor to sign off on the fact that she needed someone to stay with her at night.  Without his diagnosis of such, I could not follow through with the next phase of paperwork needed to apply for assistance with the Veterans Administration.  I never said a word to the hospital staff or the nurses at rehabilitation about Nan’s evening anxiety issues and it turns out I didn’t have to.  Within 24 hours of her injury the hospital was calling Jimmy and I to try to calm her down.  At the rehabilitation center, they have been able to observe her pattern for almost a month now.  In less than a week’s time of her being there, the doctor said there was no way he would release her to go home without 24 hour a day care.  What all of this translates into for her grandchildren is that Nan, in her confusion, feels like she is being held hostage by people who are doing nothing to help her get better and she calls and wants us to remove her from the situation.  I just keep explaining to her the reasons she has to be in rehabilitation and reminding her how important it is for her to stay off of her broken ankle until they release her to put more weight on it and begin the next phase of therapy.  Jimmy and I talked again last night and currently there is nothing I can there to make things any better for anyone and my assistance on location is going to be needed at a later date, so I am waiting to visit.  Alissa and the Little Girls are going down this weekend and will spend some time there, visiting her in the rehab center.  I am hoping that Alissa’s visit will perk her up a bit.  In the meantime, the medical professionals have said that Nan is extremely healthy physically and they have never seen someone her age on so few medications and in such good condition.  For this reason, they feel that if she has a secure and safe environment where she can get the assistance that she needs for the areas where she lacks mental clarity, she can go on living a fairly independent life.  They feel that an assisted living facility is the best option for her and we are looking into that option.  The doctor said there is no reason why her ankle won’t heal completely and why she won’t get back her full mobility.  Nan’s helper has been preparing her meals for her, cleaning house, assisting with laundry (although Nan insists on doing that herself because she is so particular about how it is done), transporting her to appointments, etc.  She has been unable to do that for herself for a while now.  An assisted living facility would provide her with that amount of care 24 hours a day 7 day a week while still providing her with her own space and the ability to make independent decisions about what she wants to do throughout the day.  I have found myself at a place where the decisions that must be made feel heavy but Jimmy and I feel Nan’s safety and we realize that we can not personally provide her with that level of safety and care.  If we are able to get the financing, assisted living feels like the best option for her.  The accusations from others, non-family members, who want to judge and criticize, have already begun and where I might have wanted to defend our decisions to others in the past, I realize there are people in the world who are just looking for “a cause” and/or a reason to criticize and judge.  I continue to remind myself that another’s perceptions and reactions reflect on them, and not on us. 

May 17, 2018

I’m in the car, on a Thursday, riding in the back seat as we travel to Staunton.  We have had Mike’s mom with us since Sunday and it has been a good visit.  We have not done anything especially exciting or special, but Mike and I kicked back so that we could spend time Treva.  Mike’s mom has visited us previously on several different occasions and it seemed like we were so busy and so stressed.  This time we wanted to make sure that we slowed down and gave her time.  This week, today in fact, marks the anniversary of the passing of Mike’s dad.  I am sure it is on the mind of all of the family.  I am glad that Treva could be with us this week and perhaps the change of atmosphere for her was helpful at this time.  We laughed multiple times over the fact that all we seemed to do was eat and collect plants.  When we were not eating meals at home, we were out traveling to various produce stands and green houses and looking for the best deals on plants for the garden while catching a bite to eat on the road.  We always grow far more than we need, which is why we always end up with enough produce above and beyond what we can personally use and end up having it to sell.  Mike’s mom had asked him to plant a garden at her house like he always does and he did so, planting far more than we need more than likely, but still not as much as in years past.  We have our large raised bed in Laurel Fork full, and we have strawberry plants that are going to dictate another raised bed on our next trip to Laurel Fork.  For myself, I have been collecting herbs and planting them in containers.  At one point, we went to Ararat, Virginia because we had heard advertised on the radio a large company that had over 30 greenhouses and was open for retail and wholesale buyers.  We were quite disappointed as the place was too big, understaffed, and under new management who didn’t seem to be doing all that well at managing the business.  However, down the road, we found another smaller green house and then down the road from there an even smaller one.  That is where we bought plants.  The folks were personable and the plants more than reasonably priced.  We made a mental note to support them in the future.  We went from there into Mt. Airy and Mike shopped for a pair of work boots with his mom while I used the reliable cell phone service to participate in a conference call with the medical staff at the nursing home.  Unable to hear well due to everyone walking in and out of the mall, I found a spot in the corner and sat on the floor, phone to my ear, with pen and paper in front of me to take notes.  It was good to hear that grandma’s leg is healing well and that during the day, she is upbeat and enjoys the company of those around her, while participating in activities.  I had that information from my cousins who are with her and observe her there, but hearing the medical staff say it as well was encouraging.  Evenings and night are hard on her and the staff is looking for ways to help curb her anxiety. 

Monday was a very nice day for us in Laurel Fork and we did spend most of Monday working around the house.  Mike worked on some fence and did some other outdoor work.  I stayed around the house so that I could visit with Treva as I did a few things.  While we had a beautiful day, back at the farm in Staunton/Verona the weather hit with a vengeance.  Alissa called us to tell us that we should have someone check fences and check Treva’s house for damage due to the frightening, high winds and hail the fell in the area.  Alissa was driving and had to pull over, along with everyone else out on the roads.  Word from Mike’s nephew and a friend was that while the storm was very bad and damaging in many areas, Mike’s mom’s place was spared any serious damage.  While there was evidently a good many limbs in the yard, some trash blown into the fence line, and some damage to one of the sheds, the damage at the farm was really minimal.  There was no damage sustained at our place either, but we talked to a neighbor who said about 30 trees along his fence line went down just like dominoes.  A local bank lost their roof and a number of people dealt with flooding in their homes.  We were told that the horrible storm came out of the east and then a while later, a similar storm in intensity came out of the west.  It must have been truly frightening for those who went through the storms.

 Currently, as we drive down the interstate, the traffic is going about 20 miles per hour and the rain is pounding the vehicles.  The Staunton/ Verona area is slated to get another several inches of rain in the next few days on top of the 3 plus inches of rain that they already received.  Back in Laurel Fork, on the other hand, we have had a slow, steady, soaking rain with short periods of time when the sun came out. 

(My days have all run together and my writing seems to be taking the same path.  My mind is jumping back and forth between events and days and my writing is following suit.  Rather than sort it out, I am just going to write. )

On Tuesday when we went to Ararat and then Mt. Airy, we stopped at a café we had been intending to check out for quite some time.  It was called The Olympia Family Restaurant.  It had the feel of an old-fashioned diner, not so much by the way it looked, but by the atmosphere.  There was a bar that faced the kitchen which was open so that customers could see the meals prepared.  One got their own seat and a waitress promptly appeared to serve drinks.  The menu was simple: American cuisine/Southern cooking.  It was hard not to enjoy the place.  The waitress wasn’t overly friendly (she was too busy) but was pleasant. The cooks in the kitchen, however, were joking, laughing, and singing along to the radio that was playing 80’s tunes. Their “good time” was infectious and by the response from the obvious “regulars” that must be the norm.  There was an older gentleman, perhaps Hispanic, who was cleaning off the tables.  I swear the man never stopped smiling.  Every time I looked at him, he was smiling.  He smiled when he was standing waiting for a table to clear and he smiled as he cleared the tables.  The portions were big and were good, although not anything exceptional, but the atmosphere was just so pleasant that I would go back again and again.  I thought about how a pleasant attitude can set the tone.  That’s not a huge revelation to anyone but seeing so many people work in harmony together with a great attitude, was really pretty cool and unusual anymore.

While we were eating our food, I could hear the men in the booth behind us discussing cattle trailers, making hay and other aspects of farming.  I didn’t pay much attention until their conversation turned to bulls.  The one gentleman was agreeing with the other as he told his story about someone working with him who was petting a bull on the head.  This gentleman went on to explain how he expressed his disapproval in no uncertain terms and told the man that the quickest way to turn a bull mean was to make a pet out of him.  I smiled to myself, for this is a topic I have preached on my blog and online forums.  Bulls are not intended to be pets and need to have a flight zone or need to be wary enough of humans that they don’t want to get close.  By making a bull familiar with humans, one is creating an atmosphere for a potentially dangerous encounter.  These men were old timers with common sense and that was evident by their conversation.  I didn’t turn around and look at them but sneaked a peak on my way out the door when we left to see the worn but pleasant faces of two men aged by the sun and weather finishing off their meal. 

Mike’s mom remarked when we left the restaurant about how friendly and courteous folks were in SW Virginia and North Carolina.  We had to agree.  It seems the folks we encounter do take more time to smile, to speak, and are more conscientious about their manners.  It is refreshing in a world that seems to have gone mad. 

Speaking of friendly, we have been watching as a man on a bike rides past our house each evening now that the weather is nice.  Mike was working down by the road and Treva and I had walked down to be with him as he finished up when the man on the bike came into view.  He pulled into our driveway and pleasantly began a conversation.  It didn’t take him too long to let us know that he was the preacher at the church closest to our home.  It also didn’t take him long to explain that they were “undenominational” in name but adhered to King James Version only translation of the Bible and that they used Baptist literature.  I smiled politely and bit my tongue.  He was a nice man and he was not pushy.  His tone was truly conversational and polite and he showed genuine interest in us as neighbors and not just as recruits for his church.  He is, in fact, a neighbor whose family just sold the piece of property that butts up to one side of our property.  A man in his sixties, has lived in the area all his life.  I recognized him as a link to be able to tell us a little bit about the property and the history of our place.  We have received conflicting information from people about the place and the original farm.  This gentleman confirmed what I had pieced together from research that the portion of the farm we own was just part of a larger farm that was divided up among family members over time.  As I suspected, the original house is the one on Hereford Road that borders one side of our property.  The house, neglected and falling down, appears to me to have been built in the 1800’s.  Beside that house is a large dairy barn that is falling down.  The property is grown up and neglected.  Next to it, on a small tract of land is a single man who lives in a house trailer.  He keeps his place very neat and is a quiet and reserved neighbor it seems.  Across from him is another small tract with a recreational camper/trailer sitting on it.  That land was being used only a few weeks out of the summer until recently when someone bought it and is now living in it full time.  All of the property described and more was evidently part of the original farm.  Our home, according to the deed, was built in 1930.  I have looked at the census for 1940 and it appears that the aging parents as well as multiple adult children used the same address for the census.  Really, the neighbor didn’t add much to what I hadn’t already heard other than the fact that he stated “The Jackson family was considered rich by the locals.  They owned a store and a large farm and were able to do just about anything they wanted.”  When I questioned him further about the property and activities that went on there where we lived, he said, “They lived a very self-sufficient, sustainable lifestyle with dairy cows, chickens, and a large garden.”  I had been told by someone else that Mrs. Jackson sold eggs, milk, and her canned vegetables.  In the 1940 census, I found the father and several family members listed simply as farmers.  No mention of a store but if they did own the store, then perhaps that is where some of the eggs, milk and produce were sold.  I don’t know.  From what I can piece together, it seems maybe one of the female ancestors along the line married and with her went the portion of the farm that had the Grade A dairy (that is now falling down).  The old, wooden barn that we own and recently refurbished, was set up to milk six cows in stanchions.  The set up indicates to me that the family who lived at our address either sold their milk locally to the community or they were a Grade B dairy whose milk was used to make cheese.  Of course, I have no conclusive evidence of any of this and as I stated, I get conflicting reports and have not met anyone who definitively can piece together the history for me.  Remarkably, there is very little information I can trace online.  I talked to a woman who moved to the area a few years back who had told me about an old, Victorian house that was torn down when the new Dollar General was built in Laurel Fork just a couple of years ago.  According to the neighbor that house belonged to some of the Jackson family and the store sat right along the road in front of where the old bank stands.  So, the Dollar General, which is a mile and a half from our property sits in very close proximity to where we were told the old store used to sit.  Our neighbor is the youngest of multiple siblings and he said he would ask his older brothers and sisters to see if they could remember more than he was able to recall.  I was drawn to our property in part because I could sense and see that the folks who owned it had set it up to be very self sufficient and given thought to things that others of that era either overlooked or did not have the finances to address.  The house is modest by all standards but would have been very comfortable and new in the 1930’s.  Thought was given to functionality with a large cellar in the basement and a separate, downstairs “canning kitchen” and laundry room.  The room needs a major overhaul to be usable as a canning kitchen again, but once we have completed other necessary projects, I would like to turn my attention to that room and restore it.  Right now, it is simply houses my washer and dryer, some old appliances that need to be carried to the county dump, and a large, piece of equipment that I had to research to figure out what it was.  Turns out, it was used to press sheets, table cloths, and seams in pants legs.  We were also told that Mrs. Jackson took in laundry for folks.  It seems, if the Jacksons were in fact “well to do” for the area, they must have earned every penny with their hard work.  The water to the house is still a spring fed gravity system but someone else told us that at one point the water was piped in to the basement and ran continually.  I was a little doubtful of this (and the source) until I heard someone else speaking of a similar type system in their grandmother’s house where the water ran continually into the sink and down the drain.  Cold, fresh water was then available all the time with this simple method of delivery. 

May 21, 2018

I’ve been really struggling to pull my thoughts together this week to write.  I have just been too distracted, in part I think because we have no routine yet, and in part because we have been with family so much that I didn’t feel I could take the time to go off by myself and write.  Over the winter, we had fallen into a predictable routine and I had a lot of quiet time in which I could write.  Now with the business of spring, lots of visit from and with family members, and no established routine, I am finding it difficult to quiet my thoughts and organize them.  I have had so many things I wanted to write about this past week and was excited to do so but getting it down has been difficult.  After another fast trip to Staunton to take Mike’s mom home after her visit, arriving Thursday evening and returning on Friday afternoon, we are trying to settle back in with just the two of us.  I had so much to do during the 24 hours we were there, that it feels like I barely saw the Little Girls.  Analia was in a wedding and was involved in a rehearsal and then the wedding itself, so they were in and out as well.  While I am happy that all the grandchildren are now with their mommas for the summer, I do miss them.  While I am happy not to have the responsibility for so much of their care, I am missing my Little People.  I’m not wistfully wanting to “go back” to the way things were.  I am happy to move forward, but still, I miss them.  Life is like that, isn’t it? 

Both in Staunton and in Laurel Fork we have been experiencing periods of heavy rain.  It has been most difficult to get anything accomplished outdoors due to the weather.  When it isn’t raining, it has been really too wet to do what we need to do.  Mike has hay he would like to make in Staunton.  He is waiting for an opportunity to have a few days of dry weather to do that.  He also needs to plant his soy beans but the ground is too wet.  In Laurel Fork, we have been unable to work on the perimeter fence because of the weather.  Mike did get a second box made for a raised bed for strawberries.  I have been able to work towards getting caught up on some things indoors that have been neglected. 

One thing I have been happy about the last few days is the return of the wildlife now that the contractors for DOT have stopped working on the road.  Our pair of resident geese now have other adult geese who have moved into the area with them.  The turkeys had made themselves scarce but we are seeing multiple sightings of different turkeys, hens coming off their nests to eat, Toms strutting or eating calmly in the fields and then walking through our yard.  We have not seen a lot of deer in our yard or across the road in the meadow, but I am actually happy about that right now.  I figure about the time we have produce in the garden, they will show up and eat it.  I love the deer but I don’t love it when they eat our garden.  And, the Heron that feeds from the streams on our property and in the meadow across the road has returned. 

We have been unable to be at our church for several weeks and have attended with Alissa instead.  While it was so nice to visit with friends in Staunton, I really missed our church in Laurel Fork.  It was so good to be back yesterday.  The church is planning a Blueberry Festival in June, a resurgence of an event they had back in the 90’s for about ten years.  They actually had a strawberry festival in previous years, but since one of the church members grows blueberries and is donating them, the decision was made to begin again with the festival and this time use blueberries.  I am actually excited to be involved in this event.  It will be a great time to be involved in the community and the proceeds will go to support local charities.  After church and the festival meeting, we came home to a house that smelled of roast beef and I threw together the rest of our lunch:  mashed potatoes, fresh asparagus and a salad.  We had homemade banana ice cream made from our Jersey milk for dessert.  I am so glad to be able to milk Promise now without fear of her getting milk fever.  (Shar’s milk is still not creamy white and contains a lot of blood.  I have never had a cow go do this long with blood in the milk, but there is nothing to be concerned about as she does not have mastitis, it is just taking a lot of time to get her cleared.) 

Mike got out the old 1966 Ford Truck and I washed off the dust from it sitting in the garage for a year, and we took it out for a drive.  I had forgotten how it is when we drive the old truck.  People strain their necks to get a look and most everyone waves.  As we passed one man out in his yard, he yelled “yeah”! The attendant at the gas station was all smiles as she talked about how much she liked our truck.  The more reserved folks will nod an acknowledgement as they pass.  It’s fun to get the old truck out and it is something that we did not do last summer for various reasons.  I am not sure what it is about getting the old truck out of storage and putting it on the road that makes us (and others) smile.  Perhaps it is the nostalgia of a time long since removed, a time when the technology we have today was still fantasy and life seemed simple.  Perhaps it is the idea that something old has “survived” when so many things from the past are just memories.  Maybe it is because just the truck itself causes us to slow down, to be deliberate, and to notice those around us, and create an atmosphere for connection.  Whatever the reason, driving that old truck brings those “feel good” moments for us and for many we with whom with come in contact.  Driving along the Blue Ridge Parkway in our old Ford,  the windows down, the outdoor air blowing our hair, and the scents of spring teasing our senses, we are firmly grounded in the present with one foot in the past and an eye for the future.  It doesn't get much better than that.