Monday, August 27, 2018

Monday Journals




August 22, 2018

I seem to feel an urgency that comes with the knowledge that the seasons will soon be changing.  Sometimes the seasons kind of sneak up on us and before we are really aware, time has passed, and we are left unprepared.  Denying that winter will inevitably come is foolish.  We have much left to do and having had a taste of winter here in the Mountains, we are no longer oblivious to at least some of what is in store for us, although one never knows just how much snow and cold there will be.  Much of my time the past month has been spent preserving food for winter.  I have over 200 jars of canned goods on the shelves in the root cellar, most of which were canned this season.  While I would like to have double that amount, I am thankful and pleased at the results of my hard work lined up and ready to feed us this winter.  I also have an upright freezer full of fruits and vegetables.  In addition, I have been diligently making butter and cheese to store up for when my cows are dried off this winter.  This is what I love and I am thankful to be able to devote so much time to it.

As I think of changing seasons, I can’t help but think about that season of life we know as youth.  Too quickly that season passes and for myself, I think I was caught completely off guard when I realized it had indeed passed.  I think I was in denial, believing that my body, mind and spirit would somehow hold onto youthful vitality forever and then one morning I awoke to the reality that spring is not eternal.  Yes, I am one of those who woke up one morning and looked in the mirror and said to myself, “When did I get this old?” With the awareness and acceptance of how quickly time is passing comes a greater appreciation for each moment that we are given, and while it would be easy to bemoan the loss of youth, it makes more sense to embrace today.  I suppose the same can be said for the changing of the seasons from spring, to winter, to fall and finally winter.  Each season must be neither rushed or mourned in it’s passing so as to receive the gifts that each season has to offer. 

Mike arose early this morning, long before daylight, gathered a few clothes, climbed into the truck hooked to an enclosed trailer and headed North.  He left early enough to make the three-hour trip and be in Verona in time to take his mom to an 8:30 am appointment.  After bringing her home from having cataract surgery, Mike will work on mowing hay as there looks to be a three-day window of good weather for the area.  He is also working toward getting some equipment together to sell as we continue to downsize and mainstream.  He has people wanting hay, which he will have to deliver, and there will be people pulling him in every direction while he is there.  Being in Staunton is always labor intensive as we try to accomplish everything we can when there. We always get back to Laurel Fork completely exhausted, not only physically but emotionally too a lot of times.

  I remained behind to milk today and tomorrow morning, then I will make a 24-hour trip to help move most of our things out of The Factory Antique Mall as we try to clear out of there.  I dread the drive up and back but the positive out of it is I will be able to see all the grandkids. 

August 27, 2018

As evening ended, Mike and I pulled the Utility Vehicle out of the garage and headed to the back forty to check on the cattle there.  It didn’t take us long to find them and assure ourselves that they were all ok.  My eyes scanned the pasture field and my heart swelled with thankfulness for the abundance of grass and the room my cattle have to roam.  From where I sat, I could not see another house neither could I see the road.  The only thing I could see was rolling, mountain, pasture land surrounded by mature forest.  Moments like this are precious to me.  I wanted to hang on to it and just sit and absorb the beauty into my soul but we had work to do.  Some things have changes since we moved the cattle from Staunton to Laurel Fork, and one of those things is the amount of time I have to just absorb and reflect on the beautiful world around me.  I am perfectly content and doing exactly what I want to do, extremely happy that the Jerseys are here with me, but I have to make a real effort to step back and remember to just breathe in the moment in light of all the things we would like to accomplish.  Mike and I together, work hard to keep the balance that is so important to us.  We have lived a life out of balance for many years, and while that is necessary for a time, we don’t want to lose what we have found here by allowing our goal-oriented personalities to keep us from enjoying life and enjoying each other.  Before the cattle came to Laurel Fork, I would have insisted we go higher so that I could view Buffalo Mountain rising above all the other peaks and calling to me with the mystery of her ancient past.  But, we needed to move the electric netting and give the momma cows more grass to eat and it was going to be dark soon. 

Mike and I worked together to move the fence, pulling it up one stake at a time, being careful not to get it tangled, moving the fence to a new location, and then carefully stretching and putting each stake back in the ground.  Mike, having done this many times now, moved quickly and efficiently.  I assisted as directed and I while it took some time to move such a large amount of fence, I was impressed with how smoothly things went.  We had left the momma cows in the barn with some hay to eat while we worked and after the fence was back up and connected to the charger, I turned them back out to see the boundary lines before it got completely dark.  The calves ran, kicking up their hills as they recognized a new grazing opportunity.  The simple things are the best things.

I hadn’t gathered the eggs and I had left the vintage, wire basket that I use back at the house, so when Mike and I went together to get the eggs out of the already dark chicken coop, he held his phone for a light, gathered the eggs, and placed the gently in my shirt that I held up with one hand forming a large pocket for the 15 large brown eggs.  Holding onto my eggs gently with one hand, I used the other hand to open the gate so we could get the ATV back to the garage. 

As I cradled my eggs and walked back to the house while Mike parked the Kubota, I marveled at how quickly another week had past.  It had been a good week.  We had been greatly stressed for part of the week with Mike working so hard to get the things done he needed to accomplish in Staunton.  My time there wasn’t long enough but I had to return within 24 hours in order to milk.  We took the time to go see Kristin, Nate, the twins and our new grandbaby.  Holding a newborn is so precious and watching Hudson and Ella with Teagan was such a joy.  They love her so much and are going to be amazing older siblings.  She’s a lucky little girl to have them for a big brother and big sister.  I had wondered how we were going to be able to see all the grandkids now that the older three are school, but Analia had two different doctor appointments with a few hours between, so I was able to spend time with her between her appointments.  I needed about four hours to clean out the booth at Factory Antique Mall but only had two hours to work.  I did as much as I could.  The rest will have to wait until next time.  I did manage to get a truck load of item loaded and some other items marked down in hopes that we will sell a few more things before shutting down that space.  We ran by Sharp Shopper while in Harrisonburg visiting and picked up a few items there that we can get for about half of what we have to pay for them in Carroll County.  I told Mike that I really don’t understand why the areas with a greater number of impoverished people have higher priced groceries.  I see it in Carroll County and I see it in Chattooga County in Georgia where my paternal family lives.  Neither of us having eaten since early morning, we decided to grab a bite to eat at an Italian Restaurant in Bridgewater on our way home where we use to eat sometimes when we would go to Shenandoah Valley Produce Auction.  It was already 9 pm but as we sat on the patio and watched the traffic go by, we actually recognized someone that we know driving by in their truck with produce for his stand down the road.  I always breath a prayer of thankfulness that we are not killing ourselves with produce anymore each time I see some of our old acquaintances and friends from those days still working so hard to make a living in that manner.  It’s all good until you lose the joy of what you are doing, and I see the weariness in the faces of so many who try to make a living in this manner.  And yet, for those who do it, there is a drive that won’t allow them to let go.  Mike is like that.  I think his little honor system cart at the end of the road keeps him fairly happy, but I know from time to time he really longs to get back in the thick of things.  Yet, he realized the level of dedication it takes to do it and he is enjoying the freedom of not having to kill himself to meet the demands of selling produce. 

While I was exhausted when we got back to our house in Staunton where Alissa, Gabino and the girls were already sound asleep, I didn’t sleep long.  It was probably 11 by the time I got in bed and by 3 am I was awake and unable to calm my mind.  I was anxious to get back, check on my cows, and milk.  I also was anxious about the drive back.  Having come at two separate times and in two different vehicles to the valley, Mike and I would be returning separately.  I really don’t enjoy driving long distances anymore.  I get so sleepy and the traffic on 81 is always heavy.  I went ahead and got up a little after three, worked on gathering some things to take back with me to Staunton as we always try to take a full load back with us when we go, and then waited for the little girls to get up so that I could spend time with them before Analia went to school.  When they woke up, we read books and played until time for them to go.  I then met Mike at his Mom’s place where he loaded up a bushel of potatoes he had dug from the garden there and about 40 pounds of tomatoes.  Being late in the season, the tomatoes where not as nice as the ones we had been picking, but we had a few to sell and some for me to can. 

I made it back home to Laurel Fork without incident and in pretty decent time.  I did get super sleepy and pulled over once to try to get myself more alert before hitting the road again.  When I got back to the house, I had so much to do.  I unloaded the truck and milked the cow for starters.  I found that the cows had gotten into a storage building while I was gone and spilled paint, knocked a lot of things over and shuffled them around, as well as pooping throughout the whole building.  I straightened things up as best I could and then shoveled out the manure.  After catching up on those chores, I headed for the kitchen and made enough vegetable soup mixture that I was able to pressure can 7 quarts and freeze an additional three quarts.  I was just finishing that up when Mike pulled into the driveway, around 8 pm with the cattle trailer.  I had asked him to bring a young bull down with him.  I had intended to Artificially Inseminate my Jerseys this year and not keep a bull, but I have just not been able to organize and coordinate that whole process.  Having a young bull available, I just decided to bring him in and see if he can get the open cows bred.  I went outside to help Mike with the gates so he could unload the bull up by the barn.  Rascal was happy to get off the trailer and see familiar faces.  He is an easy-going bull and not any trouble at all, unlike the older bull I have in Staunton who is a royal pain, but mostly just a show off as we have never had him charge us personally.  The old bull does make a big show of pawing the ground, roaring, and presenting a strong presence.  After being charged a few years back by one of the bulls we had who smashed and ground my hand into the gate while I was trying to open it, I have always been extremely aware and cautious with Rudy. One morning back about five years ago when he was pawing and screaming at me while I was trying to milk at 3 am before watching the grandkids for a twelve-hour day, I just got incredibly angry with him for being such a jerk and I temporarily lost my mind.  I grabbed a stick and opened the gate screaming some not so nice words at him while I shook that stick in his face.  Except for the pole light, the area was dark as it was before daybreak and as I advanced screaming at him he began to step backwards, never taking his gaze off of me.  Had I not been so angry, I would have never done what I did, but I was exhausted from long hours and tired of him standing and harassing me every morning while I milked.  I shook my stick in his face, never touching him physically but beating him up with my words.  The further I advanced the more he retreated until he got to the entrance of the holding area where the cows gathered for milking and then he turned quickly and ran.  After he was gone and I realized what I had done, I started shaking and crying but for a few moments, I had battled with the bull and beat him where it counts, that being mentally.  From that moment on, while he continues to bellow and blow and paw the ground to this day in his fantastic show of force, all I have to do his shake my stick at him and yell and he backs off.  I have enough respect for him, especially having been attacked by another bull, to inwardly be wary of him, but one must never allow a bull to know you are afraid of them.  You must never turn your back or run. While I would advise others NOT to do what I did with Rudy with a battle of the wills, it was enough to make him think that I was bigger than him and worthy of respect.  I got lucky.  It could have easily gone the other way.  In the end, it meant that Rudy got to stay a whole lot longer than most of the bulls on our property. 

Old Rudy won’t be coming to Laurel Fork.  I won’t be putting up with his antics here, but we will try Rascal for a short while and see how he does.  I don’t expect any trouble out of him at all, his having been raised on our farm in Staunton.  He has a good disposition.  We will only keep him here long enough to breed the cows and then he will make the trip back to the valley.  I have been lucky.  Mostly, I have only had good, easy to handle bulls over the years and most of the bulls I have sold to others have been easy keepers.  There are always exceptions to that rule, especially when dealing with Jersey bulls, who are considered the most aggressive of the dairy breeds but with proper handling (that being hands off as much as possible), and making attempts to keep them within a herd situation so that they are not isolated, giving them plenty of space to roam, and having fences and facilities set up in such a manner that they can be moved easily, I have found the bulls to be fairly easy keepers and so much more convenient than having to artificially inseminate.   With that said, I don’t believe that dairy bulls are a good match for every farm and I would say they are not a good match for most homestead/family cow situations where many folks are not familiar with what it takes to keep a bull, keep him content, and keep all humans safe. 

Looking back over this past week, it has certainly been another busy one and looking ahead to this coming week, it will be even busier.  I’m thankful that age has given me a bit of wisdom and that I can see how things balance out with time and the right attitude.  Instead of looking ahead to this week that will have some difficult moments and letting the upcoming events persuade me that the hard times must define me, I can look ahead with the realization that there will be a lot of blessings this week that will balance out some emotionally challenging things I will have to face.  Life is full of seasons and this week and the tasks at hand are simply a part of the seasons of life.  With spring comes flowers, with summer comes increased light, with fall we have the gorgeous changing of the leaves, and with winter comes the softly falling snow flakes.  So it is goes with each day, each week, month and year that we live.