Thursday, April 02, 2015

Applesauce~Oatmeal Muffins with Maple Syrup



After devouring with gusto our free range eggs for most of their little lives, my grand-toddlers have decided they don't like them anymore  for now.  Trying to come up with food that doesn't require scrubbing down the house and giving all three baths after they have eaten, I have been experimenting with muffins.  I posted a banana~oatmeal muffin recipe recently that they really like.  However, I wanted to find an alternative sweetener rather than using the brown sugar. Since I don't always have over ripe bananas on hand, I also decided I would experiment with an applesauce~oatmeal muffin recipe instead of always using bananas.  

I try to incorporate as many locally sourced and homegrown/raised products as possible when I'm in the kitchen and I am happy to say this recipe works well since it includes a free range egg, cream and butter from our Jersey cows, and home canned, locally sourced applesauce.  

This recipe was kid tested and approved by all three grands!  

Applesauce ~ Oatmeal Muffins made with Maple Syrup

1 1/2 cups of old fashioned oats
1 1/4 cups of flour
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1 cup of unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup of cream (or milk)
1/2 cup of Maple Syrup
3 Tablespoons of butter
1 egg

Heat oven to 375 degrees.  Line muffin tin with paper cups or generously oil muffin tin.  (I use coconut oil.)  Combine oats, flour, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda.  Add applesauce, cream/milk, maple syrup, butter and egg.  Mix until dry ingredients are moist.  Fill muffin cups until almost full.  Bake approximately 15-20 minutes until golden brown.  

(When adapting this recipe, I found this link on How to Substitute Sweeteners very helpful.)