Saturday, January 29, 2022

Hill Women by Cassie Chambers ~ A Book Review

 


From the Appalachian hills to an Ivy League education, isn't such a far stretch when one considers the fortitude and resolute determination instilled by the Hill Women who shaped Attorney Cassie Chamber's life. This honest and beautiful account of women empowering women, expertly exhibits the character, strengths and determination of how one generation can lay down building blocks for the next generation to continue to rise above their circumstances. This book is unlike many books about the region, that leave the reader with a negative or distorted image of hill people. As someone who can closely relate to the author's story, having had my own set of Hill Women who have influenced my life, I connected deeply with her writing. In addition to enjoying the memoir , I appreciated the author's reflections on specific social and economic issues that plague the Appalachian region. I especially appreciated her view that Appalachia doesn't need outsiders to come in and take over, but rather that when given the proper tools, Appalachians have both the ability and the fortitude to help themselves. 


Note:  The above is my GOODREADS review.  I have given the book five stars.  You can follow me on GOODREADS here.