Wednesday, June 22, 2022

MY SOUTHERN JOURNEY: TRUE STORIES FROM THE HEART OF THE SOUTH by Rick Bragg ~ A Book Review

 



I just flat-out enjoy Rick Bragg and his writing!

This is the third book I have read by this author and while it was not my favorite of the three, it did not disappoint. This particular book is a collection of Bragg's essays, many of which have been published in the magazine "Southern Living" as well as magazines such as "Gardens and Gun", "Sports Illustrated", and others. The book covers a range of topics and the essays are categorized under the headings: Home, Table, Place, Craft, and Spirit.

Bragg writes well and his humor shines in the essays collected in MY SOUTHERN JOURNEY. There were times as I was listening that I was deeply touched by Bragg's descriptions of the human spirit. Bragg's detailed accounts of southern cooking made me homesick for my Granny, especially when he talked about cornbread dressing. The stories of animals were, of course, a favorite as well. Even though I am not a football fan and know nothing about the sport, I even found those stories interesting as well. I believe most readers will find this book entertaining but it will most likely be loved mostly by those with southern connections.

I listened to the audio version of this book which I obtained through Libby. The book was read by the author. I gave the book four stars on Goodreads.