Saturday, June 25, 2022

IT'S ONLY A TREE ~ Personal Journal Entry

 







June 23, 2022

I had been asleep for a short while when a text alert on Mike’s phone awakened me.  My heart lurched.  Danged anxiety can be set off by the smallest of things.  I thought about getting up, but the curtain was pulled back from the window so that the night air could blow through the room, and the sound of the creek was so pleasant that I didn’t want to move.  Instead, I lay and watched lightning bugs as well as actual lightning as it flashed over the tree tops above the nearest ridge. The bugs and nature’s electricity flashed and glowed simultaneously in what seemed like my own personal display set against the darkness of the night.   I made a mental note that someone in Floyd County was most likely getting rain, and I wondered if it would reach us as well.  Mike eventually came to the bedroom and a few minutes later, without warning, a rushing sound filled our ears.  I thought it was rain and I jumped from the bed to shut all the windows. Mike helped me by closing the windows downstairs, as I ran upstairs.  He yelled up to me that it wasn’t raining, but a sudden windstorm that we were experiencing.  It didn’t last more than five minutes, just long enough for us to get all the windows shut and take ourselves back to bed.  We thought nothing more of it. 

This morning, walking to the barn, I noticed that a large Maple tree was on the ground and realized that the micro storm must have brought it down.  “How odd,” I thought.  “All of the major storms we have had, and this one, brief gust of wind is what took the old tree down.”  We were not surprised that the tree fell, we were just surprised that it took this long for it to succumb to the storms. (I did briefly think about how we are often like that tree in that we stand up to the strongest of storms only to become weary and let something that seems almost trivial be the cause of great distress.)  Mike had said when we fenced out the springs and put the cross fencing up that he probably should have taken that tree down.  I’m always glad when he doesn’t get around to cutting trees or when I can convince him to let them remain.  I cry a little when a tree is cut down.  I loved this old Maple because it had a huge hole in the trunk that looked like a door to another world.  It was easy to imagine elfin creatures crawling out of the cavity of the old tree and slipping into the deeper forest to do whatever elfin creatures do.  Even if the tree isn’t part of a magical kingdom, its size and age make it historic.  Mike and I have an ongoing argument about trees.  I claim every tree has history and should not be removed.  Frustrated, he sometimes leaves them standing but continues to complain and throw out the occasional sarcastic comment about “your historic trees”.  He reminds me that those trees are going to come down someday and cause great damage. (He's the practical one and I am the dreamer.)  This morning when I saw the tree down, I was the first one to climb the hill and assess the damage.  I was relieved it was minimal.  Somehow, this very large tree had fallen around the fence and was being held up by some of its branches, keeping it from smashing the fence into the ground.  It was a large tree with numerous leaves.  Clean-up would take time.  Since I had set aside the day for writing and had nothing else pressing, I thought I would offer to help. Mike seemed to enjoy my company as we worked together dragging brush and moving the smaller limbs that we will cut up into firewood later.  The skid loader with the grapple hook made cleaning up the brush a breeze.  It was fun to watch how Mike grabbed up the smaller brush in the metal hooks and carried it away.  In only a few hours, we had the worst of the mess cleaned up.  Mike did tease me about one of my historic trees falling to the ground, but having someone to help with cleanup seemed to lessen his bitterness about the work involved.  I guess it’s only fair that if I insist on leaving the trees, I probably need to help clean them up when Nature brings them down.  Mike probably would have laughed at me had he known that while he was cutting the limbs from the trunk of that tree as it bowed in defeat under his chainsaw, I was praying.  I am not an animist or pantheist, but I do believe in a Creator who cares about every living thing.  I also believe that pausing to be thankful for the things provided to us through creation can be a deeply spiritual experience.  And so, as Mike’s chainsaw began to take the limbs from the trunk of that broken down Maple, I thought about all the gifts the Creator had provided through this one tree:  shade for my cattle and the deer, shelter for birds and smaller animals, shade for Buddy and I as we walked the trail beside the tree, beauty as the leaves would change from green to red in the fall, and the warmth for our home this winter from the wood cut from this tree.  What is left of that old tree will eventually decompose and nourish the earth.  It is a gift that will continue.  Somehow, being thankful felt right to me for what the tree has provided over many years. 

Once the branches had been cleaned from the tree, Mike was faced with trying to cut the tree from the fence without causing greater damage.  As it was, if the tree shifted while being sawed, then it would most likely wipe out a large portion of the fence and perhaps even smash or split some of the fence posts.  Of course, he did not want to have to do major repairs if it wasn’t necessary.  We talked about all the possibilities of what could happen, which way the tree would probably roll when it shifted, and whether it would be possible to use the loader to hold up the tree and somehow cut it back so that it fell on the other side of the fence.  The only way to do that was for Mike to be on the other side of the fence while cutting, and that was not safe at all.  Mike got in the loader and began to try to maneuver the tree.  I held my breath.  On the steep bank, I knew that if he made the wrong move, he could tip the loader.  I shouldn’t watch at times like this, but I can’t help myself.  At one point the loader did come off the ground in the back.  I screamed, but Mike couldn’t hear me over the noise of the machine.  He is skilled with the loader and while he frightens me, he knows how to react in these situations.  He countered the reaction of the machine, and it went right back down on the ground.  I watched as he lifted the huge tree from the ground on our side of the fence and began to work it back and to the left.  If it broke, the fence would come down as the tree smashed to the ground.  But the tree held together until he was able to get it safely over the fence and drop it on the backside where he can cut it up later.  With the pasture area now cleared of the fallen tree, we began the minor repairs on the fence.  The high tensile wire is made for this purpose and bounces back readily once it has been tightened.  We were able to get the fence wire back in place where it had been peeled down by the tree.  Mike stapled it in place and then tightened the single strand of barbed wire along the top as well.  The fence while not quite as pretty, is fully functional.  The whole situation could have been so much worse, and we are thankful that it wasn’t.  The day turned out to be a good day despite the extra work because we looked at it in a positive manner and made the most of our time together.  If only we can remember and choose to do so every day.