Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Today's Agenda and Miscellaneous Ramblings




Tuesdays and Thursdays are the days when the majority of my cow share members come to pick up their milk. Because some of them travel from several hours away, it does not always work out for everyone to get here on Tuesdays and Thursdays. However, these two days are usually my busiest share days.

Mike brought home and shelled a half a bushel of Limas last night and I have those to put up this morning. He also brought me some Okra which I will freeze. We have not had much Okra this year and I am crazy about the stuff! He said something about selling some to a lady who asked for it and I put a stop to that! Okra reminds me of summers when I was a kid and of my Granny in Georgia. Isn't it funny how nostalgic food can be?

It's raining here today and Mike has opted to go to Harrisonburg and asked me if I wanted to ride along. I told him if all the share members come before he leaves I will go with him. He has it in his head that he wants to get a double recliner so that we can sit together in the evenings. I guess he means in the winter because I never get down to the family room before 10 PM and usually he is already asleep in the recliner when I get there!

I made some awesome scalloped potatoes yesterday. Talk about comfort food! The potatoes were Yukon Gold and grown by dear hubby. I made some ricotta type cheese by bringing some of my Jersey milk to steaming (not quite to a boil) and adding 1/2 cup white vinegar to 1 gallon of milk. The vinegar separates the curds from the whey and leaves a wonderful tasting, mild, sweet cheese. I added some salt to the cheese after straining it. I also included some "cream cheese" that I had made. I took the cream off the raw milk, let it clabber and then strained it until he thickened. I then added salt to it. I mixed this with the Ricotta cheese and the potatoes and baked until the potatoes were done. Delicious!