Mild Feta Cheese


Mild Feta Cheese

Makes 1 1/2 pounds

Feta cheese is a tangy, crumbly cheese used most often in Greek cooking. It is traditionally made from sheep or goats milk which results in a sharper flavor, but cow's milk will work too.

1 gallon milk
1/4 cup cultured buttermilk (Or you can use clabbered raw milk)
1/4 tsp. rennet dissolved in cool water
3-4 Tablespoons coarse salt (You can use table salt, but use less)

* Warm milk in a pot to 86 degrees F and stir in cultured buttermilk. Cover pot. Let sit one hour to ripen.

* Stir dissolved rennet into milk. Cover pot and allow to sit one hour more to coagulate. Don't stir or disturb. The milk will become a solid mass. You can check to see if it is ready by sticking the tip of a knife into the curd. If you get a clean break, the milk has set up. If the curd is yogurt consistency, you should wait longer.

* Cut the curd into 1/2 inch cubes. Allow to rest 5 minutes to expel the whey. Stir gently every few minutes for 15 minutes keeping the curd at 86 degrees.

* Line a colander with butter muslin (I use plyban cloth) and set inside a big bowl if you want to save the whey. Drain the curds. Tie the four corners of the cloth together and hang to drain for 4-6 hours. The curds will form a ball.

* Slice the ball in half and lay the slabs of cheese in a glass baking dish. Sprinkle all the surfaces with 3-4 Tablespoons of coarse salt. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to sit at room temp for 24 hours.

* After 24 hours pour off the whey, salt all the surfaces and let sit 2 more hours. Place cheese in a covered dish and refrigerate. Use immediately or allow to age 5-7 days to sharpen the flavor. Use within two weeks or freeze for future use.

I thought I had posted my recipe for Feta cheese but I can't seem to find it on my blog. So, if this is a repeat, please forgive me! (When I started out my blog, I was not using labels for the posts. I need to go back and label all the older posts.)

Pictured: Chunks of Feta waiting to be salted.

Comments

Theresa said…
Love the recipes. Post them as often as possible. I like trying them out. SO far they are all good.
Thanks, Theresa. This Feta cheese is a little time consuming but easy and well worth it if you like Feta! ;-)
Deb said…
I finally got around to making this cheese this weekend...and it's not even finished (still has that last two hour wait to do) and DH snagged some of it and was oohing and ahhhing over it! *giggle* I think in between his munching he said it is the best cheese I've made so far...and he loved the Mozzarella I've been making from your blog too, so I guess this is even better...to him at least. LOL I'm partial to Mozzarella usually, so not sure yet which I will prefer, but I'm loving trying out your cheese recipes cause they seem to be the best for us! :) Got any more?! *giggle*

Course a post on what all you do with your different cheeses would be nice too...cause I'm always looking for ways to use it in cooking...and have never had feta before, so have no ideas at all what to do with it (IF DH leaves me any to do anything with that is. *snicker*).

Thanks so much for your cheese recipes!! They are a BIG hit with Scrounger!! :-))