Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Zoie Girl



Today was a big day. After breeding Dachshunds for the past four years, that era officially ended today. This past June my dear, sweet momma dog, Hope, passed away due to a sudden illness complicated by giving birth to seven puppies.

I kept the only female in the litter and named her T. Cupp's Hope Remembered but I call her Zoie. I struggled long and hard with whether to have her spayed because I love breeding dogs and I would have love to have seen Hope's line continue through Zoie. However, after losing two dogs this year, I just could not bring myself to put Zoie through the whole birthing process and take the chance that I might lose her or lose some of her offspring due to any complications. So, I felt good about my decision, but at the same time, it was bittersweet.

Darling girl is home and doing fine after her surgery but is still pretty drugged up and sleeping it off.