Thursday, August 17, 2017

Kelvinator Refrigerator

My Kelvinator refrigerator after
a recent defrosting.  It's normally 
full of food from the farm
and milk from our Jersey cows.


One of the things I love about my farmhouse kitchen is my old appliances.  There's no denying that today's refrigerators and ranges are much more convenient than the vintage models, but there is just something about an appliance that is still functional after seventy years or more.  For me, antique and vintage items are all about the stories they represent.  We don't know a lot of history surrounding the old farmhouse and acreage that we purchased as our current retreat and future retirement home, but we do know that it was part of a larger, dairy and poultry farm owned by the Jackson family.  I was told that Mrs. Jackson had a large garden and canned a large amount of produce every year.  I was also told that she sold her canned goods to the public.  While Mrs. Jackson did not own this particular refrigerator or the range that is currently in the house, she no doubt at one time owned very similar appliances.  While the kitchen has been totally remodeled and bears no resemblance to the space where Mrs. Jackson worked, I find contentment in knowing that at one time another farmer/farmer's wife with hopes, dreams, and motivation preserved produce from her garden for her family, friends and the community standing in the same spot where I stand when I do the same.

Antiques and Vintage items represent things that have stood the test of time and remain.  I think that's what I like so much about them.  They represent resilience.





(Note:  As I begin to revive my blog, I plan to present photos, information, and essays on vintage and antique pieces each Thursday that I am able.  Some of these items will be from our personal collection and others will be items that we have for sale at The Factory Antique Mall in Verona, Virginia.  If you would like additional information at any time on products we have for sale, please contact us at tcuppminiatures@yahoo.com  We are currently taking a year-long sabbatical from Facebook, but you can follow us on Instagram for additional photos of our farm life, antiques, and our family.)