Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Old Fashioned Rhubarb Pie





While I love Strawberry~Rhubarb recipes, I also like just a straight forward Rhubarb Pie.  Mike brought me some beautiful rhubarb from the garden and asked for a pie this past week, so I thought it was a good time to include my recipe here on the blog.

Here is my recipe for pie crust

For the filling, you will need the following:

5 Cups of Sliced Rhubarb
1 1/4 Cups of Sugar
5 Tablespoons of all purpose flour
Cinnamon to taste if desired (about 1/4 teaspoon)

Mix sugar, flour and cinnamon together then toss rhubarb in the mixture until rhubarb is coated.  Pour into the bottom pie crust.  Dot with butter if desired (about 1 o 1 1/2 Tablespoons) and then cover with top pie .  For fun, youthe  can use a pie bird like I did in this post, or you can cut vents in the top crust, or prick with a fork after you trim and seal pie crust along the edges.

Bake at 375 degrees until the crust is golden brown. 

Delicious by itself or served with fresh cream or ice cream.  Or, if you are like my husband, just put pie in a bowl and pour milk over the top of it!