Monday, October 09, 2017

Monday Journal Entries




October 5, 2017

I’ve given up on journaling daily for now.  There are just too many demands on my time.  I haven’t given up hope that we will settle into a manageable routine that allows me to journal daily again, but for now, it seems the only place I can find a quiet spot is at the Mountain home.  I’m thankful for the daily contact and interaction with Analia and Rory while we are in Staunton.  On Monday, I had all four grandkids and we had a good day.  We fed the animals and played outside as well as keeping busy with toys and books inside.  After the twins left, I made supper for Alissa, Gab, Mike, Analia and I.  I tried to straighten up the house a bit and do some laundry.  Keeping the four grands always wears me out and I was pretty exhausted by the time I went to bed.  Tuesday morning Mike and I got up, readied ourselves and made the trip over to UVA hospital in Charlottesville where Mike’s brother had surgery to remove a tumor.  Prep on Monday had shown that the tumor had not attached itself to the brain, which was excellent news.  They had given a 4 to 11-hour potential time frame for the surgery, depending on what they found when they got started.  The surgery took just under five hours, which was also good.  The doctor was not able to remove the entire tumor since it was attached to some main arteries.  This was not good news and will require him to have radiation to try to eradicate the remains of the tumor.   There have been some complications since with some paralysis on one side.  This may mean that he will have to have therapy but we are hopeful that it’s just a temporary condition.  It’s been a hard week for Kenny and his family as well as for Mike’s mother, Mike and the other siblings.  Tuesday afternoon late I got home in time to watch the girls while Alissa went to class. 

Mike fenced off the wrapped hay that lined the hay field and we opened up that hay field for the Jerseys to graze.  We do that every fall after we have taken the last cutting.  The cows are always so happy to be on the “new” ground.  They help to fertilize the field as they graze and it extends the season for us so that we can wait until later to start feeding hay.  I separated Faith Tuesday evening and Wednesday morning I milked her and then returned her to the herd.  I was unable to separate and milk her last week since we were so busy while we were in Staunton.  I was eager to have the fresh cream again for my coffee. 

It seems like I am just “treading” and not making a lot of headway in Staunton since the majority of my time is spent taking care of the kids, cooking for everyone and trying to keep the house semi clean.  Wednesday, I made a path through the milk kitchen, an area that we have designated for processing milk, making cheese and canning that is separate from the main living quarters.  We have been using it for its intended purposes in addition to using it for a warehouse to price, tag and inventory the antiques we get for the antique mall.  Unfortunately,  it has become one of many “catch all” areas for items looking for a home as we transition everyone into the Staunton home and move our things out to make room for Alissa and Gab’s things.  I also cleaned out the refrigerator in the milk kitchen and shut it down for the first time in years.  With canning season basically over for the year and my only milking one cow on a once a week schedule, there is no reason to waste the electricity to keep it running.  I boxed up a car load of miscellaneous items to take south with us.  I also had to catch up on paperwork for the antique mall.  I was a couple months behind with getting that together and sending it to our partner in the business.  We didn’t get away until late afternoon, needed to stop for gas and since it was going to be so late when we got to Laurel Fork, decided to stop for a bite to eat.  When we are travelling, we don’t like to get too far off the road to eat so that we can make the trip as short as possible.  We tend to go to the same places but neither of us care much for chain restaurants.  I have become somewhat limited in what I can or will eat, trying to avoid feed lot beef, and commercial pork and chicken.  I use to eat a lot of sea food when we ate away from home, but  in the last few years I have developed some allergic reactions to sea food.  Even though I had my gallbladder removed last year, I have found that with my “clean” eating and restricting the types of “grease” that I include in my diet, when I go out and eat foods that have been cooked in something other than butter or coconut oil (which I use pretty exclusively with the occasional use of our own rendered lard thrown in), I have an almost immediate reaction, severe stomach ache and find myself in need of a bathroom the rest of the evening.  When eating out, we like to find little, locally owned, family style restaurants with home cooking.  We wanted to try something different and I pulled up on the computer “restaurants near me” and found a potential restaurant just off the interstate on Route 11.  It was exactly what we expected:  a clean but simple restaurant “decorated” with a few photos of train depots, country what knots, and framed newspaper articles about their home cooked meals.  I was happy to find Salmon patties on the menu and Mike was happy they made real mashed potatoes.  The prices were a little higher and the portions not quite as big as what we are used to at the Crooked Oak near our home in Laurel Fork, but overall, we were pleased and I am sure we will return.  By the time we got to our home it was dark, we were tired, and the stress of the last few days made us both irritable.  After working through that we began to relax and settle into the peace that always envelopes us when we get to our Mountain home. 

October 6, 2017

Last night the moon was gorgeous in its fullness and looked like it was just outside our widow and that we could touch it.  Something about the mountain ridge to the left and the hill covered in trees to its right with the big moon sitting right between made it appear close enough to touch.  As darkness fell we could see it right outside our window, shining in and lighting up the house from where we sat  on our sofa with lights out in the house.  As the night progressed and I looked out the windows, the moon cast a silvery glow over everything that put me in mind of a snow-covered landscape.  It wasn’t hard to imagine what these hills and mountain ridges will look like this winter.  I even involuntarily shivered at the thought. 

Yesterday was a productive day without being overwhelming.  Finally, after six months of trying to get someone to install 6” gutters on our house, a contractor showed up to do the job.  We had heavy rains this past spring which I am pretty sure are typical of these mountains and this particular mountain hollow.  The existing gutters were worthless. Setting too close to the roof, the water shot out past the gutters and then ran back towards the house.  Wanting to keep the water away from the basement and foundation, we needed gutters that would be big enough and set out far enough to catch the heavy rain and direct it away from the house.  Mike has had big trash cans and rain barrels sitting under the eaves and would haul the water away from the house, sometimes even going out in the middle of a heavy rain to dump them when they filled.  We also had snow breaks put on the roof and guttering put across the front (covered) porch.  In addition, we had a piece of gutter put along the back of the old, 1950’s commercial chicken house that I will clean up before spring and we will use for our personal flock.  There were three men working on the gutters.  One man in particular was quite a character but you could tell he had a tender heart and was a kind man.  All of the men were so respectful when talking to me.  Southern manners go a long way and that is something I notice about this area.  So many of the people have good, old fashioned, manners.  The one man is supposed to come back in a few weeks if Mike calls him to do the work and put a chimney cap up for us.  The chimney has got to be extended just a bit and some minor work done to it before the cap can be put in place.  He said the flu looks good and is really very clean except for the nest of stink bugs that have taken up residence there.  We have the gas fire place in the living room but we have a gorgeous, original fireplace in the bedroom.  I don’t anticipate using it much, but it would be nice to be able to use it for additional heat or just for aesthetics. In addition, I would like to either have the existing wood stove downstairs available should we need it or perhaps if I finish off that room as a canning kitchen, put a vintage stove in that runs on both wood and gas.  I just saw one for sale recently that used either wood, coal or gas.  It would be nice to have that versatility.  The chimney cap itself needs to be installed because every time it rains, the chimney works as a rain gauge collecting water and depositing it in our basement.  The chimney cap will keep the water from coming down the chimney. 

Mike worked on clearing some more brush yesterday.  There are some huge, hanging vines that covered a particular tree in our front yard along the edge of the woods by the mature pines.  He was able to get enough of that mess down and away that I can actually see through the pines up the hill to the pasture in that area.  It also allowed a good bit of sunlight to come through.  I absolutely love the trees around our home.  In Staunton, our cleared property doesn’t have trees.  In our yard we have a pine planted by Kristin and a weeping cherry tree planted after Josh died.  Along the edge of the driveway we have some walnut trees.  Otherwise, our fifty acres there is treeless.  Part of the reason I love this Southwest Virginia property so much is the mature trees.  However, the trees and property here have been neglected for so long that there is a lot of clean up to do. 

In addition to a little house cleaning and washing clothes and hanging them out to dry, I spent the day in the kitchen.  I made a double batch of strawberry cobbler as well as snickerdoodle and peanut butter cookies.  I used some of the end of the season corn and cut it off the cob.   I made a large bowl of creamed corn thinking I can take it back to Staunton with me for Sunday when we have dinner with all the grandkids and their parents.  I peeled a sliced a large batch of beets and cooked them in the oven while I had it hot.  I love beets cooked this way.  I slice them and lay them in a shallow baking dish, salt them and put a generous amount of butter on them, cover with foil or a lid and bake until done.  They retain all their juice, flavor and color this way and are simply delicious.  I also made a good portion of seasoned potatoes that I baked.  I use salt, pepper, garlic, onion, parsley and paprika to season them after tossing in olive oil.  Then I bake them until they are done and lightly browned.  I finished off with cooking a sirloin steak in my old, square, Wagner, cast iron skillet.  By the time the gutter men left, they were salivating and asking me what I was cooking as they had to work with all the wonderful scents of food escaping the windows.  I made them each a bag of cookies and gave it to them before they left.  They were so kind and repeatedly told me thank you. 

I managed to sneak in a walk on the back forty so I could view the Buffalo Mountain as well as the surrounding scenery.  I was amazed at how many of the leaves along the woods have fallen already even though we have not reached peak leaf season.  I noted the hickory nuts that had fallen as well and made a mental note to take a bag with me to pick them up the next time I walk. 

Darkness came early at just after 7 pm and I walked up the hill to get a signal on my cell phone so that I could make my nightly call to my grandma.  I was able to talk to her there with a clear signal and then get back to the house, take a bath and get into comfortable clothes by a little after 8.  Mike and I settled in full of good food and safe and warm.  We are blessed and thankful.  We talked how events beyond our control worked to change the course of our life to some extent but how happy we are now and how much more time we have together and how close we have become.  I did not say it out loud but I thought again of how I saw the tide changing with things back in Staunton after Mike’s dad’s death and how we both, in our own separate ways “fought” the changes that were inevitable.  Now we are on the other side of those changes and while a part of us will always be sad over some of the things that we have let go, we can both see the good that has come out of it all. 

October 7, 2017

Yesterday was a sweet and beautiful day.  The sun was shining and the changing leaves were beautiful.  They are not as colorful as some years, but still lovely as they change.  Many of them have already fallen and lie brown upon the earth.  It’s strange in a way that a season of such dynamic transition that culminates in the decay of that on which we focus and the soul of the tree dormant, awaiting resurrection in the spring is a season of beauty.  There must be a life lesson there. 

Two friends sent me texts yesterday inquiring on how I was doing because we had not spoken in a while.  Since I no longer keep in touch with Facebook, these extra efforts from friends to keep in touch have come to mean so much to me.  The little acts of kindness from others can be such a blessing.  In addition, my dearest, bestest friend and her husband drove from West Virginia to visit.  We have been friends since I was 19 years old and we both lived in Alaska.  Occasionally, there is a friend who will go the distance and Liz has been that kind of friend for me.  Our time together goes by too quickly and the afternoon was over before we knew it.  Her husband had recently suffered a stroke but is doing very well.  I sent him the book A MAN WHO MOVED A MOUNTAIN knowing he would enjoy reading it while he was recuperating.  He brought the book along and we drove a few places looking at some of the key points of interest from the story.  We took him to two of the stone churches and we visited the grave of Bob Childress in the cemetery.  It was the perfect day to get out and explore these mountains and then catch a bite to eat at THE CROOKED OAK restaurant. 

A young man Mike hired was supposed to show up at 9 am to work on the barn roof but finally showed up sometime after noon.  He hung around for about an hour and left and then returned late afternoon for a couple of hours.  I was disappointed in his “first day” and worried about the quality of the work he will provide.  I am hoping that his return today brings me a better feeling about the situation.  He carried with him, in a bucket, a baby snake that he said was a copper head but didn’t quite look like a copper head to me.  He said it was his pet.  I told him I didn’t mind snakes but didn’t want a copper head loose on my property, so to make sure he took the snake home with him. 

As it got close to sun set, Mike and I took a walk around the perimeter of our mountain property as we hiked to the top of the “back forty” to catch a glimpse of the setting sun as it shined across on Buffalo Mountain.  It was beautiful. 

October 8, 2017

Yesterday Mike and I went to our two favorite auction houses but neither one of us were all that thrilled about it.  The first one had some pretty nice antiques and vintage items but they were bringing a pretty high price.  I ended up reading a book most of the time we were there.  Between the auctions, we went home and I prepared food for Sunday’s mill.  We planned on getting together with Kristin and the twins and Alissa and her two girls.  I got up early this morning and packed and we headed back to Staunton.  We had been on the road about thirty minutes when I received a text from Kristin that she wasn’t feeling well and they would not be able to make it.  We invited Mike’s mom to meet us at the house for lunch and afterwards, we went to visit Mike’s brother who is in Charlottesville recuperating from his surgery and receiving therapy due to complications after his procedure.  It was nice to see Kenny and Mike and I both felt relieved after visiting with him.  We know he has some tough days ahead of him but believe that his efforts and hard work will pay off and that he will do well with rehabilitation.  We are settling in for a few days here in Staunton.  I spent a little while with Analia and Aurora this evening reading books and playing and we plan on the twins joining us tomorrow if all goes well and their momma is able to bring them.  As Tropical Storm Nate makes it’s path along the Appalachian Mountains, we are hearing that our home in Laurel Fork is supposed to receive heavy amounts of rainfall and we can’t help but worry about things there with high winds and large trees and a large rain fall, but there’s nothing we can do but wait and see what happens.  We know so many people have been truly affected by the tropical storms and hurricanes along the coasts and we know that any concerns we might have are nothing in comparison.