Monday, October 02, 2017

Monday Journal Entry




September 29, 2017

Another busy week has left me with a mixed up, crazy schedule and no time or energy to journal.  It’s hard to believe another September is coming to an end.  September signifies to me a month of “endings” and with ever ending inevitably comes a new beginning.  The Autumn season has just begun and it brings the end of summer; however, it also brings the beginning of a new season.  My mother’s death and my son’s death are both September “endings” but even those grief-stricken events brought new beginnings.   Albeit painful new beginnings, their absence have changed those who love them and their passing has helped to create who we are today.  This September has brought the memories of our loved one who have passed and the longing for them that will not be filled until our souls are reunited in a better world.  This September has also brought to a head the life changes that Mike and I have been working towards for a year now, a new beginning.   A year ago we began looking at houses in South West Virginia with the idea of a getaway cabin. The dream grew until we began to entertain the idea of a new home with some property to which we would someday retire.  Six months ago we purchased that home and thought we would be years before we would settle in our Mountain Retreat but everything has come together in our hearts and in our lives to make this place our primary residence sooner.  Not ready to retire, we are ready to downsize and move the farm.

  It has been a hectic month since we didn’t have much notice that Alissa and Gab would rent out their house so quickly and moving them into our home in Staunton has meant that we have had to speed up the process of moving our things out.  While I am sure we will take months (maybe years)  getting everything sorted into items to donate, sell, or move, the pressure has been on the last few weeks to move enough out so that the kids can get all their things moved in.  The best word to describe the process is CHAOS:  their things coming in before our things went out with all four adults trying to fit the moving process for two families somewhere in the mix of their busy schedules and take care of the needs of the Little People.  Monday was crazy.  The three four-year-old grands had not seen each other in about three weeks and when they got together I don’t think they spoke in anything quieter than a scream the entire day.  Repeatedly I admonished to use “inside voices” but it was to no avail.  The constant energy and fast pace of the older three kept the baby from sleeping well.  The only time that I felt like I had things under control was when I took them outside and just let them run and scream while the baby played on a blanket in the grass.  I always love getting all the grands together and know that the time is precious.  In less than a year now the older three will start school and the “baby” years with Tita will be over. 

In addition to excitement and changes with the humans, the animals are in transition as well.  Alissa has two cats that are being integrated into our “communal” home.  Since I am allergic to cat hair, this is going to be an interesting addition.  We have designated an area of the house for the cats but that meant we had to make some changes with the dachshunds.  The dogs have never been around cats and the whole process of integrating the animals is going to be an ongoing and interesting process.  The cats, angry at being moved from their other home are “screaming” and the dogs are howling at the cats.  Analia, however, is in heaven.  She alternately walks around carrying the cats or playing with all the two Doxies and the Corgi.  The child has definitely inherited the animal loving gene, for which I am thankful.  Rory too loves the animals and the joy on her face, even at six months old, is precious. 

My days have been long this past week, hectic and a little stressful as we move and make adjustments and learn to work and live communally in Staunton.  Yet, I have been so blessed as I get to see the girls for an extended period of time and interact with them in additional ways.  I am reminded as I spend time with them of the time I spent with my maternal grandparents who spent so much of their lives giving to my brother and I as well as to my two kids.  I know that this time with Analia and Rory will forever be etched in their memories and will give them a stronger foundation upon which to build their lives.  There is something to be said for the idea that it takes a village to raise a child. 

When we pulled away from Staunton on Wednesday, I was exhausted.  We got to South West Virginia around dark and had to unload the car.  I left the boxes for another day and got ready for bed.  Normally I get up around 4 to 5 am (sometimes earlier) but when I woke at 4 I was too tired to get up and went back to sleep.  Thursday, I spent the day unpacking boxes and organizing things.  I made the oatmeal cookies that Mike has been asking me to make for two weeks and I took a walk to the top of our property where I can see the Buffalo Mountain where it rises up above the other ridges of the Blue Ridge and where I can look down on the little hollow that is now our home.  We will continue to go back to Staunton weekly so that I can help with the children at least until next summer.  Mike plans to put our property in Staunton in corn and soy beans mostly next year and we will still make some hay there so our interest there as well as our family will keep us on the road but not as frequently after Alissa finishes her Master’s degree this spring.  More and more our focus is on what we need to accomplish here at our new home to get things ready to relocate the livestock that we are keeping.  We are anxious to get things done so that we can move the animals, but the process has so far been slow due to not being able to get the help or equipment we need.  We are hoping that we can still get a lot done before the weather changes but we are in the mountains and winter may come earlier and fiercer here than in the Shenandoah Valley. 

With so much “road time” in the past six months, I have begun reading like I use to before Josh passed away.  It’s the oddest thing, but I was an avid reader all my life until I lost Josh and then for years I was not able to read and make sense of anything I read.  My concentration just wasn’t there.  In the past few years, I began reading again sporadically but not with the fervor that I use to read.  In the last six months, it has been a real joy to once again have the desire and the ability to read and read and read.  My interest in the history of the area to which we have moved has caused me to seek out books that shed light on people, events and places with which we are becoming familiar.  The book I mentioned several times THE MAN WHO MOVED A MOUNTAIN about Bob Childress mentioned the midwife that delivered him as being Orlean Puckett.  Orlean is a well known historic figure in these parts, having delivered over 1000 babies after becoming a midwife somewhere between the ages of 45 and 50.  Orelan lost 24 babies of her own before birth or at infancy but never once lost a mom or baby that she helped to deliver for others.  (It is highly probable that she was RH negative and her husband RH positive.  In those days, this was not a manageable condition like it is today.)  I purchased and read the book ORLEAN PUCKETT:  THE LIFE OF A MIDWIFE  by Karen Cecil Smith which gave even further insight to the people and the area in which we have chosen to make our new home.  Once again, I could not put the book down and when I finished it, I wanted to know more about the history of the people who were displaced with the building of the Blue Ridge Parkway, like Orlean who was forced to move from her home at Groundhog Mountain, three weeks before her death.  Currently, I am reading SHENANDOAH:  A STORY OF CONSERVATION AND BETRAYAL by Sue Eisenfeld which helps to illuminate the process by which the Shenandoah National Park came into existence as well as highlight some of the stories of families who were displaced.  As we drive the Blue Ridge, I have often wondered about the people who were displaced as well as the people who did not have to move but whose lives were changed forever by the building of the parkway.  I am a person who doesn’t just see an abandoned house, a barn crumbling back into the earth, the skeleton of an old school house barely standing in the middle of a cow pasture, or a little white church that dates back to the 1800’s without wondering about the people and lives that filled those buildings at one time.  Maybe it’s the writer in me that wants to know their story. 

September 30, 2017

I love the days when we abandon a plan or simply the routine of daily life and do something different.  For months, I have looked at Buffalo Mountain from afar and dreamed of viewing the world from it’s top.  In fact, going back in pictures I took as we traveled the parkway four years ago, I found a gorgeous photo I took of the Buffalo from a scenic overlook, so I have been admiring that mountain for a while now.  Early in the day, I asked Mike if he had any plans for the day.  He had a few things he had to do, but determined he was free for the middle part of the day and we decided to take an impromptu trip and hike the mountain.  The mountain is not far from our home but in order to get there, one must take the back roads and approach it from a side that is a greater distance from our home.  It took not quite thirty minutes to get there.  (Perhaps with time we will find a shorter route as there are many interconnecting back roads and lots of possible ways to get to where one wants to go once the area becomes more familiar.)  I had read that it is best to take a four-wheel drive vehicle but since the roads were dry and we didn’t want to take the trailer off the truck, we decided to take the car anyway.  The final stretch of the road was narrow and one had to get to the side to allow a car to pass coming from the opposite direction.  Definitely, I could see how a four-wheel drive would be necessary after a rain or during inclement weather.  We did fine in the car but we did worry about the oversized tires on our Edge with the sharp rocks and the huge bumps in the road where it had washed some.  If we go back, we will take the truck.  There is a parking area that is about a mile and a quarter from the top of the mountain.  From there, one must take the trail to reach the summit.  The trail is designated as being a moderate climb.  Mike and I scaled it pretty quickly in spite of the fact that we are neither one in as good a shape as we were a year ago.  The trail was narrow in places and there were switchbacks as we got higher in elevation.  It was very rocky and while we had no difficulty with the climb, I was impressed with the number of people we met at the top who were obviously a good bit older than we are who made the ascent.  The views from the top of the mountain were breathtaking on such a clear, beautiful, early fall day.  We were able to make out the Buffalo Mountain Presbyterian Church and use it as a landmark to find our property which looked like a very small patch on a huge patchwork quilt of land that stretched forever.  The descent was a little trickier than going up because of the loose rocks and the forward slant of the land.  At one point, I slowed down to a mere creep as I made my way down a small, steep, section with loose gravel.  A woman probably in her thirties who was behind must have thought my caution unnecessary or felt I was slowing her up and tried to cut through the woods and down the bank in front of me at this point and promptly ended up on her backside, sliding down the hill and landing in an embarrassing position on the trail in front of me unhurt but looking pretty awkward.  When I able, I moved to the side and allowed the rest of her party to pass us.  We stopped a couple of times on the way down to pick up a hickory nut and break it open with a rock and taste the goodness inside.  The nuts were small but sweet with a good flavor.  As we approached the beginning of the trail we noticed the hum of bees and other insects, a sound that had faded on our way up the mountain.  I assume the vegetation being different at the lower elevation attracted the honey bees who did not find the vegetation towards the higher elevations to be as appetizing.  We had planned on picking up some apples at an orchard but ended up needing to get home to meet someone, as we are still trying to find individuals who will do more than just talk but will actually work.  It always seems to take more time than it should for these meetings with contractors.  They want to shoot the breeze and Mike being an extrovert and a talker, does nothing to discourage the long conversations.  I am always all business and don’t prolong a conversation with people I don’t know.  I try to be personable but the last thing I want to do is stand around and talk to someone for hours, especially someone I don’t know.  It was late in the afternoon, actually early evening when we were free again and Mike suggested we go to the orchard.  I thought it was too late but he didn’t think it would take us long to get there.  We never found the orchard.  Mike got confused about what road to take and we ended up on a “fruitless” drive and back home to get some supper and settle in for the evening. 

October 1, 2017

It’s Sunday morning and it’s October.  It just doesn’t seem possible.  Time flies.  It’s time for us to head back to Staunton, the Little People, and the fast paced, busy atmosphere.  Today we are headed back a little earlier than usual so that we can attend an “anointing” service for Mike’s brother, Kenny.  Kenny will be having a tumor removed from his brain on Tuesday and the surgery, while performed often with today’s medical expertise, is not without risk.  There is also the factor of the still unknown, such as the question o whether the tumor is attached to the brain itself or just sitting under the skull, is it cancer and will the surgery be so complicated as to take the entire eleven hours the doctors have indicated possible with worse case scenarios.  My husband’s family is “Brethren” and the denomination practices “anointing” which takes place when the pastor, an elder, deacon or other respected church member makes the sign of the cross on the forehead of the one being anointed with oil.  Prayers are said and the “laying on of hands” is practiced in most cases.  These services are usually an emotional time given the necessity of the anointing in the first place.  Not only are these services held for those who are ill, but they also take place at times before individuals or groups take part in humanitarian aid trips or other types of ministries outside the routine functions of the local church.  It is a ritual that signifies unity and support of the church family for the individual being anointed as well as the reminder to that person that a Loving God is with us no matter what our circumstances. 

We didn’t attend any auctions on this trip until Saturday when we got up early and hit a flea market (which had nothing) and then went to our favorite auction house that has been closed for two weeks while the owners traveled.  There was nothing that we could purchase and resell, so I read a book during the auction and we left early.  Upon returning home, Mike met up with a man who is giving him a bid on installing a whole house generator.  With the weather in the mountains and frequent bouts of electrical outages, we are looking into the possibility of a whole house generator for emergencies.  We have always had a generator that runs off the PTO on the tractor.  Over the years, numerous times in Staunton we have kept things going by running the tractor periodically.  The whole house generator will be a convenience that I know we will appreciate as we age.  While the men talked for two hours about generators and electricity and best-case scenarios, I decided to clean the house. 

Typically, after the Saturday auction, we hit the Mexican restaurant but we had to get home to meet the generator man and didn’t stop.  We had not eaten breakfast and by the time the man left, it was early evening and we were starving.  We intended to go to the Fancy Gap auction house for some evening entertainment and Mike said he would take me out to eat at the little, local, family restaurant before we went.  Once we got to the restaurant, we unanimously decided we would eat and go back home since both of us were a little tired of the auction house scene and would rather cuddle up together on the couch, Mike to watch a football game and me with my book.