Monday, October 30, 2017

Monday Journal Entry




October 26, 2017

It’s Thursday and I will attempt to update my journal.  It seems that last week was full of tidbits that I wanted to remember, but so far, this week has seemed pretty typical.  That’s not a bad thing, but it just doesn’t leave much interesting about which to write.  That’s ok, though.  A comfortable, settled week is a good thing.  So much of the week is repetitive or previous weeks and doesn’t lend itself to interesting journaling:  Sunday we traveled and the interstate was horrible, Monday I kept the kids and they were wild, Tuesday was a rush to run errands and then get back to watch the kids for four and a half hours that evening, and Wednesday was an effort to get things packed and ready to return to Southwest Virginia where again, Interstate 81 was challenging.  I do think that we are falling into more of a routine back in Staunton and that everyone is adjusting to the communal living.  The little girls are so cute but definitely know how to manage the four adults in the house to get as much attention and playtime with us as possible.  Rory has two teeth that have popped out and she is very interested in eating.   Analia nursed exclusively until she was about nine months old and was content.  Rory has been a different story.  Now that we have started her on some solid food and she has begun drinking out of a sippy cup, she is a little more content when momma is gone.  Alissa has been working with Analia for a good while teaching her letter sounds and recognition.   She is starting to try to sound out words and she loves “doing school” like mommy.  She does not like to write however, and I think that may be an issue when she starts kindergarten.  She has difficulty with some things and finger dexterity is one of them.  The pediatricians feel that she may have a Sensory Processing disorder as well.  This is something that Alissa and I have been aware of for quite some time.  She is highly sensitive to sound and activity.  Hudson and Ella were with us on Monday and that is always a busy time with all four of the grands.  We had the best day that we have had since I started having all four of them together on Mondays when Alissa went back to work after Rory was born.  Rory actually took a long nap and the older kids had long periods of interactive play without arguments.  Monday evening, I put in some extra time helping with the girls after supper because Alissa was behind on her papers for her Masters due to Analia being sick over the weekend and Rory being so fussy cutting teeth. 

Mike got his soy beans harvested last week and got them to market.  He was pretty pleased with the yield and with the price he received for them.  (The prices fluctuate with the stock market and a farmer has to take what he is given.  He didn’t get them in when they were at their highest but they have steadily come down a bit after his beans were contracted.)  Folks are starting to think about winter and getting hay for their horses.  A lot of the hay Mike makes and most of what he sells goes to equine owners and he has a good reputation with his customers for making quality horse hay.  A number of his customers are in a panic because they have heard that we are moving south and they are afraid they won’t be able to get hay from him and they don’t want to get it from anyone else.  We are starting to get frost in the valley but Mike was able to harvest a few more tomatoes and pulled some green that we can let ripen in the windows.  There was also a good bit of volunteer lettuce and some beets and potatoes to be harvested.  He got the last of the potatoes out of the ground.  We had a very poor year with our potatoes and for the first time in 30 years did not sell to the public.  We will probably have enough to get our family through the winter.  We typically use 4-5 bushels. 

One little tidbit I have been meaning to get down in my journal is the encounter Mike had with a neighbor who stopped in the driveway and introduced himself two weeks ago.  He told Mike that he was interested in buying a lot at the top of our property where we have views of Buffalo Mountain.  He said his wife had been coveting a spot where she can build a new home with views of The Buffalo.  I have to laugh now but that was not my reaction when Mike told me.  My response was “I hope you told him we are not interested in selling ANY of our property and especially not my hiking spot where I can see The Buffalo.”  Mike replied, “Well, I told him I would think about it” and he grinned.  That of course pushed my buttons and I went into a long retort about how there was no way I would ever sell and it’s a good thing that it was him and not me talking to the man because I would have made sure he recognized the facts and I wouldn’t have wasted an hour of my time talking to him.  My extroverted husband just grinned and said something about being nice to the neighbors.  Later I just thought to myself that it proved my point to my Shenandoah Valley raised third generation farmer who sees value in the flat bottom land but has a hard time seeing the value that this Mountain girl sees in the steep hills and rougher terrain.  The value is there to those seeking a homesite on a few acres but this stubborn farm girl is determined that her Jerseys will graze on that spot and for as long as I am able, I will continue to seek out those views when I hike to the top of our “hill”. 

Mike and I were both really excited when we pulled onto our SW Virginia property just before sunset and saw that the crew did indeed start work on the barn this week.  We were not here Monday but heard that there were torrential rains (several inches of heavy rain) that kept the workers away on Monday.  I’m not sure if it dried out enough for them to start Tuesday but they had definitely worked Wednesday putting board and batting on our old barn.  Even though the process has just started, it’s easy to see that the transformation is going to be amazing.  Mike was pleased with the quality of their work and with the lumber that was used.  They are supposed to return today and tomorrow, weather permitting.  I am eager to see how much they can get done.  Mike intends to go out and start tearing all the old metal off the shed attached to the back of the barn.  That will be replaced with lumber and tie the whole thing together giving it a fresh look and providing a warm shelter for the cattle during the mountain winters. 

October 27, 2017

Today is my brother’s (Jimmy) birthday.  I have two brothers and a sister.  My brother Jimmy is 3 and a half years younger and I was not the typical child who feels displaced when they have been an only child for a while and get a new baby brother or sister.  In fact, my family enjoyed telling the story that I prayed often for a baby brother before he was born.  It has been told to me that my mother was fearful of how I would react should I end up with a baby sister instead of a brother, because my prayers were so specific.  If there was every any jealousy on my part directed toward Jimmy, I don’t remember it nor have I been told of it.  My other two siblings came much later, a brother (Shane) and a sister (Elizabeth).  I am fourteen years older than Shane and 16 years older than Elizabeth and I actually left home when Elizabeth was just two years old attending a year of college in Florida and then moving to Alaska where I attended the University of Alaska for a while, worked at Ft. Greely army base and for the State of Alaska Legislative Information Office.  I had my nineteenth birthday enroute to Alaska .  Life sure moves fast and never would I have dreamed then that I would be a grandmother, fifty years old, and keeping house in rural Virginia. 

Yesterday was a really busy day and a good bit was accomplished, although Mike feels that the crew working on the barn is slow.  Barn is such an aggressive worker and there are very few who can meet his expectations when it comes to quantity of work.  Guess that’s why I consider it a real compliment when I overhear that he has told others that I am a hard worker.  I’m afraid both of us tend to have the type of personality that makes us pretty focused on accomplishing goals.  But, the barn is looking good and it is requiring a lot of work to restore it.  The crew has half the barn (front and one side) covered with new board and batting.  There is a large shed attached to the back of the barn that is covered in metal.  Mike worked last night on getting all that metal off so that the men could start working on enclosing it with lumber today.  Mike is trying to do as much as he can do personally to save us some money.  It was a chilly morning when the men started yesterday with temps around 32 degrees.  It warmed up during the day and the sun shone, but it remained cool.  I woke up around 3 am yesterday morning and got my day started early.  I unpacked a few fall decorations and got them up.  For the last few years, I have decorated quite a bit for fall but I realized yesterday that most of what I used to decorate with were things we were selling at our produce stand like pumpkins, gourds and mums.  Since we didn’t have the bins of fall pumpkins and gourds that we bought in bulk to sell to our produce customers for me to sort through and use the “extras”, my decorating was minimal this year.  We didn’t grow any pumpkins or gourds ourselves this year and the only pumpkins I ended up with were the half a dozen a friend gave to us after gleaning a farmer’s field and picking up seconds to feed his hogs.  I fixed eggs, toast, fried potatoes and eggs for breakfast but about the time I was ready to eat, Mike came inside and said he was leaving to go to the lumber yard with the contractor.  I ended up putting his breakfast away and eating mine alone before I got started working.  I cleaned the house pretty thoroughly from top to bottom and washed and hung clothes out on the line to dry.  About the time I finished up with my cleaning and was getting ready to go for a hike to the back part of our property, Mike came in and said that a neighbor who owns three acres of adjoining property wanted us to walk up and talk to them.  They are older than us and have used their property as a campsite for about four years.  They have a fifth wheel trailer sitting there and a little shed.  They wanted to see if we were interested in buying their piece of property as they stated “they had started too late in life” with their dream of owning it and building a home.  The lady has some health issues and is also caring for her elderly mother whom I think she said is bed ridden.  They live three hours away and about all they can get done is to get down every other week to mow and keep the place up.  The three acres would be nice for us to own, but currently they want more for it than what it’s worth to us.  Probably half (or more) of the land is a steep wooded bank that joins our property on one side and has road frontage (a very rural, dirt road) on the other side.  There are two streams running through the property and a lot of the property is “wetlands”.   We are pretty sure from previous research that the property at one time was part of the 250-acre Jackson Farm, of which we own a portion.  The couple said there had been a tenant house on the property they own that was in shambles and they had cleaned up the lot, hauling away the garbage and crumbling house piece by piece.  There is no question that they have done a tremendous amount of work and the lot looks like the perfect campground, but a little wet for a permanent home site, although I have no doubt there would be those who would attempt a home there.  I would love to have the three-acre lot, but I am doubting they will be able to let it go for a price we feel comfortable paying as it would probably end up just being additional grazing land for us. 

Last night we had the last of the beets from the garden.  I like to peel and slice them and then lay them in an oven proof dish with butter and salt, cover them and bake until tender.  It seems cooking them this way makes them even more tasty as they don’t lose any of the color or flavor that one loses when boiling them.  We also had some tomatoes that Mike found that had been safe from the frosts.  I have some ripe tomatoes in the refrigerator now and a window full of green tomatoes.  They won’t be quite as good as the vine ripened but they will taste better than the hot house variety one buys in the grocery store and there’s a satisfaction from knowing that we raised them.  We also had some volunteer lettuce from the garden and I made a salad with vinegar and oil dressing.  I used our grass finished sirloin steak and cut it in strips and fried it with the onions, bell peppers, and potatoes we got from our garden.  The only thing on the table we didn’t produce ourselves was the fried apples and those were from a local, mountain orchard.  It was such a simple but delicious meal. 

October 29, 2017

We left our SW Virginia property really late this weekend and I am sitting in the truck with my computer across my knees trying to catch up on my journal.  It’s 9:30 pm, the wind is blowing 25 to 30 miles per hour and it was spitting snow when we left our mountain home.  Neither of us ever want to leave and that was true especially tonight.  We had a good weekend with our house full of people that we love.  I had invited a good number of family and friends but I knew most of them would not be able to make it because of the three-hour drive from Staunton.  Mike’s sister and her son and his family who only live an hour away in Christiansburg were able to come to our fall get together.  Alissa and her two girls made it as well.  It was cloudy and cold, so we decided to stay indoors instead of eat in the picnic shelter like I had originally planned.  I did use the fire pit to cook the burgers and hot dogs.  Cathy brought potato salad that she made and JoAnna made her delicious broccoli salad.  I had sliced tomatoes, lettuce and onions from the garden.  We had homemade sweet pickles and homemade ketchup.  I made BBQ meatballs, baked beans and macaroni and cheese.  We had a variety of homemade cookies that I had made up ahead of time and pulled out of the freezer:  snicker doodles, chocolate chip, oatmeal, shorbread, and sugar cookies.  The best thing about when we all get together is there is no stress or pressure.  Cathy and JoAnna are fantastic about bringing food and helping to clean up.  We all laugh a lot, talk a lot, and the time together goes by too quickly. 

Alissa and the girls were not feeling the best this morning.  The girls both of colds. So, we decided to forgo trying to go to church this morning and just stay home with them.  Analia was very concerned that we might go without her and I didn’t want to take her and expose the elderly people to anything contagious she might have.  Alissa left earlier than us to head back to Staunton but turned around and came back when she thought her care was acting up.  Mike checked it out and it seemed to be all right, so she took off again about an hour and a half after her initial departure.  She said traffic wasn’t too terrible until she got almost to Staunton and then the interstate shut down.  So far, the traffic for us has been better than most weekends and I am thinking that traveling this late might be a bit better as far as traffic is concerned. 

This was supposed to be a “short” week for me with the grands and I had planned on only keeping them tomorrow (Monday) and then heading back to Laurel Fork on Tuesday.  However, Alissa has to present at a conference in Washington DC on Friday and I had offered to keep Analia for her.  I didn’t want Analia to miss out on Halloween with her family and then she has dance lessons on Wednesday morning.  So, it looks like we won’t be leaving until after her dance class on Wednesday.  She will stay with us until we return to Staunton the following Sunday.  Alissa is taking Rory with her as she nurses her and she doesn’t take a bottle very well, nor does she like to be away from mom. 

We were happy to get some things accomplished this week at the SW Virginia property but things didn’t progress as well as we would have liked.  However, I am going to focus on the what we did accomplish.  A lot of work was done to the barn and the work that was done was quality work.  The guys are getting paid by the hour and are slower than we had hoped they would be, but the quality of work is great.  We are only going to be able to pay them for another couple days work and then we will have them stop and try to complete the back shed by ourselves to save money.  We are not having much luck with getting anyone to do the roof.  The “snake handler” seems to have worked on a few areas and made them better but possibly made the roof worse in other areas and he isn’t allowed to return.  (He came by to get a few tools he left and it was obvious he had already been drinking heavily and we don’t want him on the roof where he can injure himself.)  The second man we had lined up to work on the roof (the one who worked on our gutters and then our chimney that Mike and I both held in high regard and were sure would come through for us) failed to show up or get in contact with us this weekend, so it looks like that one isn’t going to work out either.  Mike is going to try to contact someone else tomorrow and see if we can get any response from him and if we can,  we will just go ahead and put on a new roof and be done with trying to find someone to repair the old roof. 

The crew did show up to begin the process for the whole house generator.  There were four of them and they worked for about eight hours.  Everything is in place and now we have to wait for the propane company to come and run the lines into the house.  After that is completed, the Generac crew will return to get the generator up and running.  I will feel much better when that is operational because if we are away and the electricity goes out, we won’t have to worry about pipes freezing up or losing what we have stored in our freezers. ( I didn’t plan very well when the crew came to install the generator.  It never occurred to me that they would have the electricity turned off for most of the day.  I had to find things to do that didn’t involve electricity and that put me a little behind on getting things ready for our get together on Saturday, but it all worked out.)

I was excited on Friday evening when the draft mules who live in the meadow across the road from us (I like to refer to the mules as our nearest neighbor) were returned from being temporarily housed at the resort down the road.    Their owner has a big event with the Shriners in July every year and they use the mules to pull carriages and wagons for that event as well as others.   I love to observe the mules, the deer, the wild turkey and the occasional bear in the meadow in front of our house.  The more we stay at our SW Virginia home, the more contrast we see with the busy lifestyle of the Shenandoah Valley.  When I first moved to the valley 13 years ago and looked around at the view from our house sitting on top of the knoll, I observed all the houses and the busy “rural” road and had a twinge of longing for the remote places that I have lived in Alaska and out west.  There was so much culture shock for me when I moved from the remote areas to the Lynchburg/Bedford area of Virginia back in 2001 and then to the Valley in 2005.  While the Valley is nothing like Northern Virginia or a busy metropolis, it certainly remains faster paced and more congested than what I had been use to for most of my adult life up until that point.  However, I have been happy in the Valley with the farm and my family for these years and had grown accustomed to it.  But, with more and more time spent in the mountains in South West Virginia, I am beginning to feel more at home than I have since leaving Alaska and Montana.  What thrills my heart is that Mike is so happy there too.  Having never lived anywhere but the Valley, I find contentment in hearing him say how much he loves our new home, our new farm, and how content he is when we are there.  The more I contemplate life and the more I grow, the more I realize that everything is temporary and that we are to enjoy each day as it comes for everything can change in the blink of an eye.  I try not to hold on too tightly to what we have in the Valley or in the Mountains, but enjoy each day and the blessings it brings.