Monday, January 01, 2018

Monday Journals





December 28, 2017

Do you every look back at the last 24 hours and think “There’s no way that it has only been 24 hours!” Yep, that’s me today.  With our car still being in the shop, we had to rent a vehicle to make a trip to Georgia to take care of some things there and to spend a few days with my grandmother.  We had searched to find the best deal on a rental.  There’s nothing “close” to Laurel Fork and we either had to go over an hour North to Christiansburg, head over 45 minutes to Galax, or make our way 40 minutes away to Mt. Airy, North Carolina.  None of these places were on our way to our ultimate destination and with the one in Mt. Airy being slightly cheaper, we decided to go get the car, come back to the house and drop off Mike’s mom’s truck we had borrowed, load up our things and leave.  However, when we went to get the car, the dealership told us the car they had reserved for us wasn’t ready and we would have to either wait or take a smaller car.  We took the smaller car and the savings that came with it.  However, when I got about a mile down the road, on came the check tire pressure light.  I turned around and went back.  They aired up the tires, assured me they were fine and sent me on my way.  Everything seemed ok until we spent about 20 minutes letting the car sit while we loaded our things at home but when we got back in the car, the tire pressure light was on again.  We called ahead and reserved a different vehicle in Wytheville which was on our way and stopped there, filled out the paperwork to change vehicles, and started out again only to see a huge bubble on the side of one of the tires on this car.  At this point, we were really late and I decided we would just take our chances which we did and everything was fine.  We made it to Georgia and when we got to Nan’s house and realized she was still at Wednesday night church services, we went by there to pick her up and bring her home.  I walked in the church and found her in the front, tapped her on the shoulder and asked if she needed a ride home.  It took a moment for her to place me with her not expecting me to be at the church and then she broke into a smile and gave me a big hug.  I asked her if she was surprised and she said “no” because my brother had let the cat out of the bag that we were coming, although she didn’t know exactly when we were coming.  We spent the morning around the house with Nan, then I took her to a Doctor’s appointment after which we met my brother and his wife at a local restaurant and visited for a while.  For the rest of the day, I have been attending to business and taking care of things for my grandmother.  It’s hard with our living so far away to facilitate the things that are necessary to make sure that things are handled properly here.  I am glad that we have my cousin four days a week to help us out.  She is a saint and does way more than anyone else would do for Nan and at a fraction of the pay that others would expect.  She does it because she loves my grandmother and because she wants to help.  She gives back so much often bringing her own food from home and stopping on her days off to make sure grandma has meals and is eating.  We are so blessed with her help and care.  We are applying for some assistance that will enable us to get an additional caregiver in to help with things on the days that my cousin is not able to work and perhaps some evening shifts as well, depending on how much assistance we can get.  My grandmother is still able to do so much and wants to be independent and we are trying so hard to respect that and let her be as independent as she can for as long as she can.  She no longer cooks and has difficulty following recipes or remembering how to make things she has made her entire life.  Left alone, she resorts to processed snacks she can open and eat quickly.  Having my cousin, who is a nutritionist and has worked with the local nursing home for years until she retired, in the home to make sure that Nan eats nutritious and regular meals is such a help.  I think of my grandmother often and how difficult it must be to age and not be able to do the things she once did.  She always sang and had a beautiful voice.  She dropped out of the choir at church a while back and I don’t think it had as much to do with the fact that she can no longer sing, as she says, but that she has forgotten how to sing with the group and follow the lead of the choir director.  So she no longer sings.  She was an avid reader and devoured books, but rarely does she try to read anymore.  She finds it just too difficult.  It was so difficult for her to give up having a vehicle after she had her accident.  I think often of the days ahead when I will be in her position, if I live long enough, and I try to respect the stage of life she is in right now.  No one said life was easy.  In fact, all stages are just so difficult.  We must find joy and peace in each stage of the journey and realize we have nothing but right now with all of it’s trials and we have to pull from these moments all the joy that we can muster.  There is so much joy there, even with the struggles.  I looked at my grandma’s face and thought how lucky I am at 50 years of age to be able to kiss her cheeks and look in her eyes.  I have asked her to tell me more stories, which I will try to get down in writing tomorrow as she tells them to me.  I have 50 years behind me of history with my grandmother.  Without question, only a fraction of our time together lies in the future.  I have to make the most of what we have left together, even when those moments are difficult. 

December 29, 2017

The day was spent mostly doing the things I least enjoy but that’s a necessary part of life.  Paperwork, bill paying, making calls, meetings, scheduling, arranging, taking care of details so that things can be as simple as possible for grandma and insure that she is cared for well.  The last 48 hours have been pretty much all business but we did squeeze in some time to visit.  It’s always fun to hear those stories we have retold a hundred times or to hear new stories.  We laughed when we spoke of my uncle (on my dad’s side), now passed.  We would never make light of the disease that consumed his life that was passed down to him, no doubt, genetically.  That disease of alcoholism, though not something our family likes to admit or to remember, has left its mark on various members of our family for generations.  This particular uncle spent a good bit of time in jail due to his consumption.  This of course is no laughing matter, but in this rural Georgia community and the surrounding areas back in his day, things must have been a bit like “Mayberry”.  The story was told of my dad and one of his other brothers who made the trip to jail to see this particular Uncle and took with them some fried chicken and the fixings that my grandmother had made for him.  The Sheriff allowed my uncle out of jail and let him go outside with his brothers to eat his meal unguarded, and then when they were done visiting, my Uncle went back in and the Sheriff put him back in jail.  There’s a lot of hurt, tears and bitter memories within families at times but we look back on the one we love and we hold on to the stories and they become a little less edgy with time.  We can sometimes appear to others that we have no clue about heartache and that our lives are somehow set apart from pain.  Many times we don’t talk about the things that marked us and little do people know what kind of things we have in our background. While some folks love to present life’s woes and feature them as part of their social media persona, most of us like to put our best foot forward.  We like the ideal or we just want to focus on the positive.  There’s nothing wrong with this, but we sometimes have a distorted view when we look at others and somehow think at times that others lives are perfect when ours is not.  Or we judge someone and think that they have it so much better than us when we have no clue what kinds of things they have in their past or are dealing with in their present.   There’s something about coming back to Georgia that connects me to my roots.  It grounds me.  It reminds me from whence I came and it reminds me that the strength I have to face life’s hardest trials comes in part from my roots.  It also reminds me of all the obstacles that our family has overcome and continues to try to overcome.  It reminds me of where we fail and how some of us keep trying.  It reminds me of those who have given up or those who have never made an effort to have a better life.  I met with someone yesterday from this area whom I had never met before.  I had only spoken a few sentences and he looked at me and said, “You’re not from The Mountain (Lookout Mountain) are you?”  It was not accusatory; it was more of a statement than a question. He knows my family is from The Mountain, but with just a few words, or perhaps how I carried myself, or my mannerisms, it was obvious I had not be raised there nor had I ever lived there.  I replied, “No.  I’ve never lived there, but my roots are there.”  His response was, “I understand.”  And I know that he did.  Simple as that. 

December 30, 2017

And we are on the road……………………again.  We have begun the 6-hour trip from my grandmother’s house back to our home in Laurel Fork.  Her affairs are in order for the time being, a mere five weeks since the last time we made the trip.  I am hoping we are set for about 12 weeks this time and we can get through the worst of winter before needing to return.  If things change and we are needed, we of course will do what it takes.  It’s hard to leave my sweet grandma each time, knowing that are time with her is shorter and shorter, for no matter how much longer she lives, we are closer to the end than the beginning.  She wants to be in her home and I understand and respect that.  I would want the same.  I try so hard to put myself in her position and respect her wishes.  I love her so much.  Time has changed things a bit, but she’s still my loving and precious grandmother and I am so fortunate for each time I get to spend time with her.  We are blessed in so many ways and I was really relaxed and able to recognize that on this trip.  Instead of just seeing the difficulties, I saw how much for us is going right instead of just seeing what is going wrong.  We stopped in Ringgold on the way out, which is about 40 minutes from my grandmother’s home and met up with my Aunt and Uncle who live there.  It was great to be able to sit and visit with them for a little over an hour before hitting the road again.  As we head back to Virginia and Mike maneuvers the thickening traffic of the Saturday before New Year’s Eve, we are aware of the blessings this past year has brought us.  An injury compounded with the wear and tear of farming on a rotator cuff put Mike in a place of needing surgery and being forced to have down time to recover and a lot of things came to a culmination between this time last year and now that we never would have dreamed a year ago.  We are so blessed to be here, in this place, older, wiser, more in love, excited about the future and yet more settled about just enjoying the present.  Life is so much about attitude and about just accepting and loving. 

December 31, 2017

It’s the last day of December, and I am sitting on my bed in front of a roaring, warm, wood fire.  Isn’t it every woman’s dream to have a fireplace in the bedroom and real logs crackling on a cold winter’s night?  We won’t be celebrating in any special way, staying up to ring in the New Year, toasting each other with drinks, or hanging out with friends.  We are warm and satisfied and together here in our little farm house in South West Virginia and while the days ahead of us as we enter the New Year are filled with obligations, responsibilities and things that we must either overcome or accept, tonight is pleasant, warm and peaceful.  We went to church this morning and there were only 15 of us at the little church, including the speaker and the piano player.  But, it just felt right being there and after the service, we stood around and visited for a long time.  It was cold and no one was in a hurry to go home.  It was nice to just visit and get to know each other a little better.  When we got home, we had some leftover roast and gravy and I made some mashed potatoes to go along with them.  We finished off lunch with some leftover apple crisp.  Mike had offered to take me out to eat, but I told him that I would rather be at home and eat our food.  The afternoon has been lazy.  I have been working on a new look for the blog, catching up on correspondence, and I even took a nap.  Just before dark, I went out and took a short walk, took out the trash, and carried some scraps up the hill to where I started a little “compost pile”.  There’s never any scraps left.  I think I am simply feeding the wildlife, which is ok, but is also why I walk so far away from the house to throw out our food scraps.  It will be nice when we have chickens and hogs again to eat the scraps and I can feel like I am “recycling” rather than feeding the wildlife.   As I draw this journal to a close for 2017, I do look forward to 2018 and welcome it.  I also look back with a lot of joy and some sadness at 2017 but I can honestly say, I am happy, content and totally immersed in this present moment.  That has been the lesson that life has tried so hard to teach me in 2017 and while I know I will regress to anticipating the future or living in the past from time to time, I hope that 2018 is a year in which I learn to cherish the moments to an even greater extent.