Monday, March 26, 2018

Monday Journals




March 20, 2018

This week marks a year of new beginnings as we celebrate Rory’s first birthday (on the 22nd) and the purchase of our mountain property (on the 23rd).  I was at the hospital with Alissa and Gabino the evening and night of March 22nd, 2017 and coached Alissa through a brief labor and delivery period.  If my memory serves me correctly, she dropped Analia off at the house around 5 pm and I kept her for about an hour until Mike came home and then I went to the hospital.  Alissa does amazing work of giving birth.  She didn’t take any drugs or opt for an epidural with either of her babies.  The bond that I felt with her, being her coach with both births, was amazing.  She did all the work and deserves all the credit but being a part of that process and watching her face as she clung to me with her eyes looking for the strength to know it would all be ok, was an amazing experience.  Alissa and I have a very close relationship and being a part of those moments in labor and delivery, were for me, some of the most memorable moments of my life.  Being the first, after the parents, to hold the girls meant more to me than anything and I believe being a part of the birthing experience has given the girls an even stronger bond with me.  I have had a lot taken from me in my life (not that I have had more taken from me than many others but the death of my mother at such an early age and the death of my 18-year-old son felt as if my very soul had been ripped out).  However, I have had a tremendous amount of blessing in my life and it is impossible for me to ignore the huge amount of grace that has been bestowed upon me with my family.  I am human and I get tired.  I complain.  Sometimes I feel sorry for myself.  I have CHOSEN to invest so much of myself in my family and at times that means that I give up my own dreams and desires to support the dreams and desires of those I love.  But, looking back over my fifty years of life, it is not what I have accomplished outside of my family that is important to me, but rather those quiet, uncelebrated moments of support that I have given to those I love for which I am most thankful.  Giving up my cow share program so that I could invest completely in my grandchildren was a decision that I cried over.  I knew it was the end of something I had loved and had built successfully from the ground up but looking back, it was still the right thing for me. 

After returning from the hospital and the birth of our precious, unique, independent, strong willed, energetic Aurora Geneva last year on the 22nd, I returned to Mike and Analia, slept a couple of hours, packed the car and we headed to Southwest Virginia to sign the papers on our new home.  The new home signifies to me the cumulation of a dream that I buried so deep, I didn’t even know it still existed.  Or perhaps, it was not that I didn’t know it existed, but rather that I felt I had been given so much in life with Mike, our family, and our home in Staunton that to dream of anything else would be self-centered and wrong.  I’ve tried to journal over the last nine months that I have been writing on a regular basis and explain how this new home came to be and how we arrived at making these changes in our life.  Some of the details are still so personal that have not put them in writing.  There are things so intimate about our decisions that I just prefer to keep them that way, close to my heart.  The reality of this new farm for us is nothing that I ever dared allow myself to dream and I poured myself into the idea that we would continue, in some capacity, farming the land that had belonged to Mike’s grandfather, then his father.  I think Mike had already let that go long before I was able to wrap myself around it.  I had become so caught up in the identity that I found in being the wife of a third-generation farmer and the idea of being a part of a farming operation that had been operational for three generations was so exciting to me.  When things began to change I mentally fought the changes and I would not give my blessing or support when Mike talked of doing other things.  Instead, I kept trying to convince him to hold on because I wanted to be a part of something that I deemed lasting, permanent, and grounding.  We didn’t’ set out to move to SW Virginia but rather to just find a get-away cabin.  We had traveled through the area multiple times in the last few years since I shut down the cow share program and we were able to get away from home.  As we found ourselves spending more and more time in Carroll and Floyd Counties, we began entertaining the thought of having a place of our own instead of renting cabins each visit.  Soon that dream stretched to include a place to retire eventually and we fell in love and purchased this house and property so different from our good, valley land in Staunton.  The mountainous landscape only lends itself to pasture land on this property and we have erosion issues to address and outbuildings to restore and so many dreams of what we want to do with this place and yet, we are able to slow down and enjoy the present as we work towards those goals.  The house, the land, the dreams, the goals have all streamlined and represent our shared interests.  In Staunton, so often, it felt like we lived two separate lives on many levels with Mike working in one place and me another and both of us working so hard to be successful that we were too exhausted to spend a lot of time on our relationship.  The love and commitment were always there but the chance to communicate and grow together was difficult.  I let go of dreams reluctantly, kicking, screaming, fighting to hang on and this time was no exception for me.  Yet, when I let go of my ideals, it opened the door for something better for both of us.  I don’t know that we will ever accomplish all the goals  we share collectively for this place in Southwest Virginia, but that’s ok too.  I hope that I continue to recognize that it is not about the ultimate goal but rather about daily life and what we do with each moment we are given. 

March 21, 2018

Winter continues to rage back and Spring is delayed from being able to establish domain.  We left Staunton early this week because another winter storm was moving in and the Valley was to get hit harder than the mountains, at least in our area.  A winter storm was supposed to dump six to eight inches of snow in the valley and at least for now, our mountain home was only predicted to get an inch or so with most of it changing to rain.  We didn’t want to get caught in Staunton or have to drive in bad conditions and with classes being canceled for Alissa, we were able to leave without putting her in a lurch with child care.  It was fantastic to be able to get back home a day early.  It began sleeting about the time we got into the house and then changed over to snow.  The ground is covered here this morning but I would estimate the predictions of an inch were about right.  We stopped to eat on the way last night about two hours out from Staunton and 45 minutes from Laurel Fork.  I couldn’t find my keys and went into panic mode.  I don’t know why I got so agitated but Mike and I ended up getting into a tiff about the whole thing and my reactions reflected a lot of built up stress.  I guess when I am sweet, I am really sweet but when I get angry, watch out.  My paternal family refers to that aggressive temper as a “Holbrook” trait.  It’s nothing to be proud of and I have worked hard to feed the gentle, patient, loving side of me, but that Scotch-Irish explosive attitude escapes periodically to remind me that I really am a Holbrook and still have a lot of work to do on myself. 

March 22, 2018

Winter fought hard yesterday to hang on even though it is officially spring.  The snow fell all day long in wet flakes, sometimes big but often small and steady.  We did not end up with a huge amount of snow on the ground, although the ground was covered.  The temperature hovered near freezing and the roads, sidewalks and driveways remained clear while the ground was covered in an inch or two.  Back in Staunton, the kids sent pictures of almost a foot of snow.  We received notice that the Antique Mall was closed in Verona due to ten inches of snow at that locality.  The day was gray and “dreary” but I took a walk to the “back forty” to take in the views with snow covering the mountains.  I have been wanting to do that but have not had opportunity to do so during a snowstorm.  As I suspected, I could not see Buffalo Mountain due to clouds and snow but the views were still spectacular with everything covered in a blanket of white.  I didn’t see any wild animals on this particular walk, but I did notice the tracks of a small animal of some sort.  The tracks came out of the woods heading in a particular direction and then suddenly they started going around and around in circles.  I wondered at the purpose, which seemed senseless to me as those were the only tracks.  It caused me to start thinking about how I foolishly sometimes go in circles, chasing things that are not meant for me to chase, making the same mistakes over and over again, pursuing goals that are pointless.  After descending from my hike, I filled the bird feeders and went inside to dry myself out.  With such a wet snow falling, and my not having the proper shoes, I was pretty wet.  In addition to housework and laundry, I made a double batch of dough for cut out cookies and put it in the refrigerator to chill overnight.  We had salad, limas, mashed potatoes, fillet mignon and leftover sourdough biscuits for supper.  The biscuits were amazing, a recipe I found from King Arthur Flour.  Mike says I am on a sourdough kick, and he is right.  It is fun using sourdough in recipes and re-experiencing many of the tastes I remember from earlier in my life. 

March 23, 2018

A friend sent me some books to help me learn to make better bread.  They are wonderful books written by true masters and it just touches me so deeply that friends invest so much in my life.  It’s the little things that let us know others care and I am so blessed.  The world is full of people who will hurt us and we tend to focus on that, in part because we are trying to protect ourselves from future pain.  However, there are so many genuinely good people in the world who continue to spread love.  I have not had a chance to completely absorb the information in the books but I did sit down for several hours before bedtime night before last and read some of the information.  It was time to use my sourdough poolish and I was able to incorporate some of the things I learned from the books as I baked bread yesterday.  I also took a step forward and used my cast iron Dutch oven to bake the bread.  I had been hesitant to use it because I don’t have the flat surfaced bottom type but rather a Dutch oven with legs intended for campfire use.  I’ve been watching at auctions for the smooth bottomed Dutch ovens but have not found any yet.  I always hate to buy new when I know that I will eventually find an old one in need of rescue.  The bread turned out beautifully, a whole wheat loaf this time.  I also rolled and cut out a double batch of cookies in shapes for Easter and I made a deep-dish pizza for supper.  Between bread risings and cookie making, I thoroughly cleaned house downstairs and the bathroom upstairs.  I still have the two guest bedrooms to clean upstairs.  I shut the doors to those rooms to conserve heat and they are not used but on occasion but the bugs in this old house are awful.  If it’s not hundred of lady bugs, it’s stink bugs and if it’s not stink bugs, it’s wasp coming out in the bedroom where we have the fireplace.  I guess they think it’s summertime in that room.  It was a good day to bake and clean house as the weather was nasty outside.  The snow melted off and I could hear it sliding down the metal roof and the green grass was bright once the snow went away but there was a nasty wind blowing all day.  We were under high wind warnings for the first half of the day.  It was far too wet to work outside and Mike spent his day working inside the barn. It is looking so good.  It is such a long process, taking so much time for one person, but it is going to be just fabulous.  I have been milking in a make shift little shed made out of a metal box off the back of a truck for a decade now.  Having a real dairy barn is so exciting. 

March 24, 2018

I crawled in bed last night and looked up and out the window to see a sky full of bright stars.  There was not a cloud anywhere and had I not read the weather forecast, I would have sworn that we would wake to a bright and sunny day.  Again, when I woke at 5 am, I looked out the window and still the stars were shining bright.  An hour later, the sky was covered with clouds as the next winter storm makes its way into the mountains.  I checked the weather forecast for the valley, and no snow is predicted for that area but here, we anticipate 5-8 inches today if the meteorologists are correct.  That’s better than the initial report of close to 16 inches!  The snow is supposed to start mid-morning and we are as ready as we can get.  We wanted to get a few things in case we did get snowed in and we needed to take a load of items to donate to the thrift store so we made the 40 minute trip to Galax yesterday.  Our biggest reason for going was to check with the NRCS (Natural Resources Conservation Office) about setting up a plan to deal with erosion issues on our mountain property and to talk to them about possibly setting up a pollination plot with wild flowers.  As I anticipated, the man we needed to speak to was already gone for the day even though it was only 1 pm.  Hopefully, he will call us back next week and we can meet with him and get some ideas about what we can do to make the property better and preserve it for future generations.  While we were loading up the items to take to the thrift store, a friend who lives in Laurel Fork but whom I have not seen since we moved here saw our truck and stopped in to give me a hug and talk for a few minutes.  It was so good to see her and her warm hug made my day.  We made plans to get together with no excuses.  After we made the trip to Galax, ran our errands, and picked up a few things we needed from the store, I had Mike take me to the fabric store in Fancy Gap.  It is a huge store and well known to quilters even outside the area.  I didn’t even let myself look at the fabric.  I am not one of those women who buys and buys fabric and I try to use up what I have before getting more.  Occasionally, I will find a box of fabric at an estate auction and buy it cheap.  The purpose of this trip to the fabric store was to buy stuffing for pillows.  I had made the flour sack pillows last week and used up all the repurposed stuffing I had but have a few more pillows that need to be stuffed.  I also bought some glue to try to make some tea cup bird feeders from vintage glass.  We end up with boxes and boxes of glass that simply won’t sell in our booths.  Most of it I end up donating to a thrift store but I pulled out a few pieces I liked and thought I would attempt to make some pretty bird feeders out of them.  Pinterest has some really cute ideas but I often find that the results of my projects don’t end up looking nearly as good as those on Pinterest.  But, I have the glass and with just a little over a dollar spent on glue, I really can’t go wrong in trying. When we got home, I decorated about half the cut-out cookies that I had made.  I don’t have the proper decorating tools so my cookies always turn out looking a bit whimsical, but the grandkids don’t care. 

March 25, 2018

Snow began falling shortly after 10 am yesterday but with the temperatures hovering around freezing, it didn’t start sticking for a good while.  Mid afternoon it began sticking on the grass but the road remained clear.  Closer to nightfall as the temperature dropped and it kept snowing, the inches started to accumulate and the roads became covered.  It is still dark, as I typically wake up and write before dawn, and I am not sure as to how much snow accumulated but a rough guess around 10 pm with what we could see on the deck railing was around six inches.  I had two bird feeders set up with the same feed that we offer our chickens:  ground corn and alfalfa that was grown on our valley property.  The birds were feeding like crazy yesterday evening.  I enjoyed watching them.  The poor male Robins that have migrated seemed rather stunned with all the snow.  We saw scores of them on the ground, in the trees, looking out of place, confused and even grumpy.  Outside our bedroom window in a small walnut tree we counted nine of them sitting on snow covered branches in the same tree while dozens more walked around in the road where it was more wet than snow covered at that time.  I heard a woodpecker in the large pines next to the house but I never could spot it.  I have seen several pileated wood peckers feeding in the past. 

Mike went out before the snow started falling yesterday and was going to try to get a little more of the trees and brush cleaned up and get some more wood sawed.  He no sooner got out there and had a major break on the loader.  He did what he could outside until it started snowing and then we were inside for the rest of the day.  I did walk up to the guest cabin and worked on a few crafts and pulled out some material and some patterns that I might use to make some children’s sized aprons but with it being so cold in there with no heat, I only stayed out for about an hour.  I spent a little time outside taking pictures of the birds.  Other than basic housework, fixing meals, and laundry it was a quiet and restful day for us.  We did not go to the auction house, although they did have an auction.  I feel like I gain an extra day when we stay here and since we came down on Tuesday instead of Wednesday this week, I really got to experience that feeling of “settling in”.  I’m a little more ready to head back to Staunton this week.  I’m missing the grandkids and if everyone is well and able, we hope to get together with all of them on Tuesday. 

March 26, 2018

I was eager to get outside in the freshly fallen snow yesterday.  Even though snow is often an inconvenience and can cause a lot of extra work not to mention muddy conditions when it melts, I can’t help but feel excitement when the snow falls.  At first light, I could see that there was a good bit of snow, although not as much as they had originally predicted.  Mike said he thought about 12 inches.  It was wet, heavy, and hard packed.  I put on some warm clothes and headed outside with the idea of checking the bird feeders and feeding the chickens.  I first shoveled a path off the deck, down the stairs and up the sidewalk.  With the snow being so heavy, I got a good workout.  Then I headed up to the chicken house but got side tracked.  I almost always take my camera with me and the sun was topping the mountain peaks in the east and starting to shine on the hills and trees to the west.  The light was so gorgeous on the snow and I wanted to see if I could capture a few photos.  My short trek ended up a regular hike to the back forty as with each step I was eager to see what was beyond the next hill.  I knew basically what was beyond the next peak but wanted to see it with new eyes, in a new light, with the fresh snow covering everything.  The hike wasn’t easy but it was well worth the effort.  I didn’t have the proper shoes to keep my feet warm but other than cold, wet feet, I was comfortable and energized.  I could see a lot of various animal tracks in the snow, all of them headed to the springs to get water.  On the top of the property I startled two deer who stood posed and ready to run long enough for me to get some beautiful pictures of them before they bounded off across the field and out of site.  I was able to see Buffalo Mountain in the snow and a fog coming off the water somewhere between our property and the mountain.  The views were spectacular.  Sometimes it pays to put forth a little effort and to see things in a fresh, new light.  It helps us appreciate what is already ours but have come to take for granted. 

We had a good many broken branches from the weight of the snow on the trees, one of which had fallen over the power line and onto the chicken house.  Mike worked getting the most critical of the branches removed.  Thankfully, there was no damage, just some clean up that we will need to continue to work on.  We were starting to get the yard and barn area looking pretty good, free of brush and trimmed up but now we have to begin again with the new mess.  Still, it could have been so much worse.  Some folks lost power.  Ours flickered several times but the generator never came on.  As the day got warmer, the snow began melting and while there was still plenty of snow left on the ground by day’s end, a lot of it had melted.  It poured down the driveway like a small river, dripping off the rooftops, down the gutters, and created little streams that all came together and rolled down the hill.  The ground is a soft, and muddy mess everywhere we step.  The ground was already so wet and saturated and the snow just added to the moisture content. 

We left much later than usual yesterday and did not get back to Staunton until 10:30.  Gab, Alissa and the girls were already asleep and we came in quietly and went to bed ourselves.  There will be much to do in the next two days.  Mike has a tractor here that locked up on him and threw him into the guard rail.  That has to be dealt with….towed, repaired….probably four or five thousand dollars to repair.  Then the loader in Laurel Fork has a major repair and can’t be used until that part is replaced and we are looking at well over a thousand dollars for that part.  He will be trying to find parts, make arrangements for repairs on the tractor, and he has multiple hay customers meeting with him to pick up hay and some he will deliver.  We have the kids and grandkids coming for a small get together.  I have the farrier coming one morning and the children to watch for two days.  Plus there is always cleaning, cooking, and lots of outdoor work as we anticipate cows to begin calving sometime in the next month within the Jersey herd.   There’s never enough time in either place to get it all done, so we just do the best we can.