Monday, August 13, 2018

Monday Journal




August 8, 2018

I wondered if with time we would have any regrets about moving from the Shenandoah Valley or if our place in the mountains would cease to be a refuge and place of peace for us.  I wondered if when we moved the Jerseys and began once again to fall into the routines that make it hard for us to “get away” if our new place would lose its magic.  Instead, what we have found is validation after validation that this move was right for us.  So many things could have stood in our way and kept us from making the changes that we have made.  Looking back, it almost seems surreal that things would come together and that Mike and I would end up on the same page about such a big decision.  Our relationship is stronger, our love deeper, our time together almost always a daily routine instead of a few words over the phone or exhausted conversation over a 9 pm summer supper trying to communicate quickly with tired minds so that we could get a few hours sleep before heading our separate ways.  We mostly worked independently in those days in order to keep different aspects of the farms operational.  With both of us having a different focus, we were mostly pulled in different directions.   We did what was necessary then, but we are now fortunate to have a chance to live our life differently, while still holding on to a way of life that is so important to us. Perhaps, in some ways, we are living that lifestyle even more fully.  Working together has taught us to communicate better. Sure, we still get angry, frustrated and raise our voices or argue over stupid things. but more often than not, we are focused on a common goal or seeking to find a joint solution to a problem.  Sometimes, I catch my breath and have to pause and just count my blessings.  Mike and I love each other deeply but we have not always acted like it.  We have both hurt each other by being selfish at times.  We have let our differences cloud our views and distract us from the areas in which we have common ground sometimes.  We have both gone through significant loss, reacted differently to those losses, and allowed the grief to distract us from our relationship with each other for a time.  I know for myself, when my son passed away, that I went several years so absorbed in my own grief that I could not give be present in my relationship with Mike or with others who were dear to me.  Somehow, someway, all that is good and right about our love and our relationship has persevered through even the most difficult times, and for some undeserved reason, God has smiled upon us and given us the opportunity have this place where we are free to be ourselves, love each other, and be free of the many stresses and distractions that use to be a part of our life.  It is evident that there are those on the outside looking in who do not and will not understand, who will judge, who think they know when they don’t.   Only the two of us know the full story,  the pieces of the puzzle that seemed so scattered only to come together one step at a time to bring us to this place and this time. 

Mike left on Monday morning around 4 am to go back to the Valley so that he could make a second cutting of hay.  It has been a hard year to make hay there with all of the rain.  He didn’t want to leave and I didn’t want him to leave, having grown so accustomed to his presence and feeling especially close to him lately.  I have never been afraid to be alone and I can fill my days without ever seeing or talking to another human.  But, I have been super emotional the last month and really didn’t want to see him go.  I never let on to him that I don’t want him to go.  We knew when we made the decision to move to Laurel Fork that there would be times when we would have to be apart, at least for a while.  I always tell him to go on and do whatever he needs to do and that I understand.  I do understand, but this time I missed him before he was even gone.  Now it is Wednesday and he hopes to be here around midnight.  I am waiting up for him because I need to hug him and he needs to be hugged. 

I miss the grandbabies badly now.  I don’t see them but a couple times a month because I am tied to the cows here.  That is really the only hard part for me.  There’s nothing that I want or need to go back to in the Valley except for our children and grandchildren who are there.  I have a few friends there but because of the way Mike and I worked, my interactions in person with those friends was usually brief and infrequent.  Emails, text messages, and personal messages on social media kept me in touch with them even when I lived in the Valley and sustains those friendships now.  I just never had the time to break away from farming to “hang out” or visit and I’m such an introvert anyway that I just don’t do that sort of thing. And, if I am honest, I allowed the loss of my son to isolate me even further.   I feel that I have spent more time getting to know people here than I ever did in the valley.  That is mostly a reflection on me, not on others.  My point is that I just didn’t make connections or form relationships there that made it difficult for me to leave.  The pull of my babies being in the Valley draws me back and makes me long to go for visits, but otherwise, I have not been this content since I lived in Alaska and I dare say that I have never been happier.  I don’t take it for granted.  It has been a very long road getting to this place in life.  I am thankful from the depths of my heart. 

August 11, 2018

While Mike was away, I kept busy.  It is amazing how much there is to do and how much I can accomplish when I don’t stop to cook meals and when I stay focused on “my own” projects and work rather than stopping to help Mike or converse with him.  However, focused I was this time, I still would have rather had him here than away.  That is truly a “first” for me.  I love him dearly and enjoy being with him, but I am a person so focused on goals and accomplishing the work I set out to do, that when I get a chance to be alone and focused on tasks, I always embrace it, never feeling lonely are afraid to be by myself.  This time with Mike gone, I accomplished all the things I set out to do, was focused and ok with being by myself but I missed him so terribly. 

One of the things I had put off for a while was cleaning the chicken coop.  It felt good to get it cleaned up and new straw down for the hens.  I also made mozzarella cheese.  I had not done that in a long time and it felt good to be playing with large quantities of milk again.  With our dryer out and Mike not having been able to fix it, getting clothes washed and dried has become a major focus.  I feel like I devote a lot of time to making sure we have clean clothes.  I really don’t, but I do have to plan.  For days we had so much rain that I couldn’t get my clothes dry.  Now, we are having late afternoon and evening storms and showers almost daily.  I make sure that I have clothes in the wash before daylight and then I hang them on the line as soon as the sun comes up, giving them enough time to dry before the afternoon showers.  While I love to hang clothes on the line and do it more often than not, I have always relied on having that back up dryer for clothes I wash in the evenings or when it rains.  The positive side of having a broken dryer is that it has forced me to “go green” and stop relying on the electricity sucking machine.  Mike said he needs to get me a new dryer and I told him that I am not in any hurry because I have learned how to manage the clothes without one with a little extra dedication to the task.  It has been funny though because when we have a sunny day, I have strung “extra” lines between trees and anywhere I can find so that I can wash sheets and larger items in addition to a load of clothes.  Those who pass by our house see plenty of clothes blowing in the breeze and our entire yard crisscrossed with clothes lines. 

Of course, adding to the daily routine is milking Princess.  I had let the other mommas get by with simply raising their calves.  Shar can do that without being milked at all (although I did milk her some in the beginning) and Promise can do so after a few weeks if I don’t take steps to increase her milk production, which I did not do this year.  As a result, they both only have enough milk to feed their calves unless I separate the calves for twelve hours.  Even then, they don’t give a large quantity of milk because they have not been milked regularly to get them to that point.  (A cow, like a human, makes milk based upon demand.  If the demand is not there in the beginning, then their bodies will cut back to what needs to be produced just for the calf, generally speaking.  There are exceptions to this, but mostly it is true.)  When Princess calved, she had a lot of milk as she is a high producer and while I didn’t want to push her to produce the maximum that she can produce, I want to keep her in enough milk that we have plenty for the table.  I chose to take my chances at milking her once a day.  As a ten-year-old cow, I know her well, and I knew that milking her twice a day would increase her production quickly which would also put her in a higher risk for developing milk fever which she is prone to as well.  I took my chances that milking her once a day would be enough to keep her from developing mastitis and it has been.  On once a day milking, she is currently giving me 2.5 gallons of milk a day which is perfect as far as I am concerned.  As the calf grows, she will take more of that milk but I anticipate still having enough to keep us in milk for a while.  For all of the first week and part of the second, getting Princess to adjust to a new routine in a new place was difficult, but she has settled in now and will leave her calf outside or in the barn and come in for her “treats” willingly.  We were also dealing with a minor but hurtful injury to her left, rear teat where the skin was torn back, making it extremely sore, especially when the inflation is placed on the teat and begins squeezing the milk out.  She kicked a lot and when Princess kicks, she goes for gold.  Being tender makes it difficult to get all the milk out of the quarter which can lead to mastitis.  I was diligent to stick with it, kicking and all, in order to make sure that quarter remained healthy.  Every night after milking, I put an antiseptic on the wound that also helped to seal it off.  It is looking much better now, although still tender.  I am hoping she doesn’t’ open up the scab and that we don’t have to start all over with the healing process.  A teat injury is so difficult to get healed. 

I also began letting Princess and her calf, Little P, stay out at night.  Princess gets so depressed when she is not with the rest of the herd.  Cattle are herd animals and to separate one really has an impact on their morale.  Some of them, like humans, deal with alone time better than others.  Princess is not one of those.  She gets very agitated, anxious and then depressed when left alone, so I try to keep her with the herd as much as possible.  Even when we let her out into the smaller pasture where she could be “next door” to her herd mates in the next lot over, she would stand at the fence, looking over and longing to be with them.  Knowing Little P was faster and stronger now, I decided it was safe enough to let them back out with the herd at night.  I had feared attacks by predators when the calf was just born and weak and a story a lifelong resident told me did nothing to ease my fears.  She told me that a friend of hers had on video a large bear, picking up one of her jersey calves and dragging it away.  Evidently the bear had been coming in and being a nuisance and this farmer had been told that the bears have radio collars, are tracked, and that shooting them is punishable with high fines and even jail time.  Thus, when the bear came in and scooped up the calf, all she could do was watch and video tape it to prove it had happened.  My friend saw the video tape and said that she would not have believed it had she not seen it.  I am not sure, jail time or not, that I could have stood their recording.  One never knows for sure what they will do in a crisis situation, but I don’t think I could refrain from doing something to try to save the calf.  My friend went on to tell me of someone who had a bear stand up in the window and look in at her sleeping baby in the crib at their home.  She said the paw prints were on the window and yet, she was told that shooting the bear would be punishable.  I hope I am never put in that position.  I lived for years in grizzly bear territory in Alaska and have had a number of personal encounters with bears.  I respect them and those who know me know that I don’t even like to hunt because I am such an animal lover, but when faced with crisis situations in Alaska, I always had a weapon and knew that I could use it to shoot an aggressive animal should the need arise. 

On Wednesday, with Mike gone, I went into Galax by myself.  It is an easy 45-minute trip. While most of the trip for me is made by traveling Highway 58, there is no heavy traffic like in the Valley.  I had multiple, routine appointments and those went well.  Arriving early to the Twin County Hospital in Galax for a Mammogram, I walked in the lobby and it was completely deserted.  There were no people coming in or out, there was no one at the desk.  I spent a few minutes looking around the area trying to decide where I was supposed to go for my mammogram and the whole time, I saw not a soul.  The hospital reminds me of hospitals from my youth and I figure it was probably built in the 70’s or earlier.  Even as I made my way down the halls and to the radiology department, I met very few people.  The medical professionals I passed were all friendly, smiling, and sometimes saying good morning as they passed.  The waiting room was busy but not filled to capacity.  I noticed that with a room of perhaps a dozen people, I was the only one with a cell phone out.  The whole scene reminded me of another place and time.  The lady who registered me was cheerful and kind.  The radiologist who performed the test was not as friendly but was not unpleasant and was extremely efficient, getting me in and out quickly.  I was satisfied with the experience, my second within a one-week period at Twin Counties Hospital, having gone last week for a battery of blood work.  On both of my visits, I felt valued and felt I was given good care. 

My second appointment for the day was with the optometrist, and a follow up visit from seeing them for the first-time last year around this time.  I feel like I get excellent care at this facility and I am pleased with how thorough they are.  The cost of a visit reflects the fact they are state of the art, and we do not have vision insurance, but I know when I walk away from t here that they have given me a thorough exam.  The vision in my right eye remains the same but in my left eye had become slightly worse.  However, after I told the doctor that my insurance would not pay for vision, she agreed that I would be all right to wait until next year’s visit before replacing the lenses in my glasses.  We also talked about the dry eye syndrome that I have, and with one of the tests, she was able to confirm my need for treatment or prescription drops.  However, again the cost was so high to remedy the situation, I chose to continue with using over the counter drops and dealing with it.  Without prescription insurance, the drops are evidently well over a hundred dollars, the treatments range from several hundred to 750 per eye depending on what treatment is best for each individual scenario and the testing to find out which treatment is best for the individual runs about $250.  I told the doctor I would just live with it for now.  She was kind and understanding and told me if we meet our $7500 deductible on our medical insurance for the year (which we have only done once in the last 13 years) then come in because it was considered a medical condition and would be covered by the medical insurance.  I am thankful that my difficulties are so minor, really nothing. 

I am thankful also that after not feeling well and thinking perhaps there might be something more seriously wrong, that blood work and lab tests have all come back negative and my two to three-week bout of feeling poorly and running a low-grade fever off and on seems to be nothing more than some sort of viral infection.  I am feeling much better now, back to normal in fact. 

I accomplished a lot while Mike was gone, checked off a lot of errands and caught up on some paperwork that had been hanging over my head.  I got some things ordered from Amazon that I have been putting off for a year.  All in all, it was a productive three days, and I stayed very busy, but I sure was glad to see Mike walk through the door at almost midnight on Wednesday.

Thursday, Mike got caught up on mowing, something I didn’t push myself to do this time while he was gone and I canned another round of tomatoes that he brought with him from the garden in Verona at his mom’s place.  I was able to put up 10 more quarts of tomatoes, putting my total of canned goods for this season up to around 150 jars of various produce.  I would love to put up about that much more and have my shelves filled for the winter, but I know we are set for this winter, even if I am unable to can anything else.  We might not have all the variety we want, but we will have plenty of homegrown goodness to eat over the winter.  The garden in the Valley is winding down.  Mike said maybe we would get a few more tomatoes and there are some beets, beans, and a few other things in the garden.  He will be tilling it up soon and planting grass seed there, this being our final year to grow veggies in the valley.  It is the end of an era for him and I know he is sad about that but we are also looking forward positively to the future, growing things in raised beds and learning to make things work for us here in the mountains.  Some things will be different here with gardening but we will grow, learn, and move forward.  It is bittersweet but also an exciting time as we watch things come together for us more and more here at our mountain home.  We will also be having an auction at some point in the near future to sell off some of our equipment.  Again, a bittersweet point in our lives, harder for Mike than for me.  Soon, we will be completely removed from the farm where Mike’s mother lives, his nephew already renting the place for going on two years.  We still have our 50 acres and home in Staunton where Alissa and Gabino are living with their two girls.  We have beef cattle there, hay fields, and soybeans this year.  As time goes by, we have made decisions and other decisions have been forced upon us that necessitate our drawing to a close our ties to the family farm and while that is hard and in many ways very sad, we are blessed to have so much positive in our life, and a place where we feel at home in Southwest Virginia. 

After we got some things done around the house Thursday, we went into Galax late afternoon and went by Briar Patch to check on our booth and put a few more small items in there.  We ran a few more errands and then we went by Felts Park to check out the 83rd Annual Fiddler’s Convention.  I really didn’t know what to expect and my introversion and social anxieties made me chicken out at the last minute, telling Mike that I just wanted to go home rather than get out of the car and walk inside the park to face a new experience.  The thought of the reported 40,000 people in attendance in a little town that typically boasts 7,000 permanent residents was just too much for me.  Mike, knowing me well, pushed me to go anyway.  He knew I wanted to experience it but that I was letting my anxiety get the better of me.  He promised me if I felt uncomfortable that we could leave at any time.  It was one of those instances where I knew he didn’t care one way or the other if we went, and that he was doing this for me because he knew it was something I would enjoy.  We found a relatively quiet spot towards the back of the bleachers, but far enough down that the evening sun would not burn our necks.  Competitors come from all over the world for the competition.  While we listened, we heard a banjo player from Norway as well as one from Australia.  Of course, there were many local players as well as people travelling from all over the United States.  Because I enjoy watching people and absorbing the different personalities and characteristics of individuals within a crowd, I watched closely as people walked up and down the path between those of sitting in the bleachers and those sitting in the lower section in chairs, closer to the performers.  There were people of all ages enjoying the family friendly atmosphere.  No alcohol allowed, plenty of security from local law enforcement, and old-time mountain music seemed to draw a crowd of friendly, relaxed, pleasant people.  There were folks there dressed like “mountain men” with overalls, long beards and wide brimmed hats.  There were “original, old hippies” as well as a younger generation of hippies, including one long haired young man who played most excellently in the banjo competition with bare feet and a huge smile, gazing out into the audience as it played with ease and brought down the house.  There were “old women” dressed far too young and “young women” dressed far to old.  I smiled when I saw a group of teenage girls and reached over and nudged Mike.  “Look at those girls”, I said.  They look like me when I was in high school and shortly thereafter.”  The clothes they wore had a vintage feel to them and made me think of the late 80’s and early 90’s.  It wasn’t what I was used to seeing kids today wear.  One girl in particular kept my attention.  She was full of life and all over the place, joking with her friends one minute, talking to a young sheriff’s deputy the next minute, and then flat foot dancing with an elderly man on the sidelines.  She made me smile and remember a time when I believed that the world was all good or at least, if it wasn’t that it could be.  It reminded me of a time when I believed that I could and would make a big impact on the world just because of my love for people and my willingness to make sacrifices to make a difference in the life of others.  I smiled at the young girl’s eagerness for life and I hoped that she would never lose her joy or her faith in all that is good.  As I watched the people around me, I kept seeing a very old man walking around with a board used by flat foot dancers.  He looked to be close to 90, was dressed well, and had a large hat on his head.  He was thin with a quick smile and it didn’t take me too long to figure out that he loved attention and he loved the ladies.  I watched him from a distance the entire night as he continually pushed himself to the forefront of all the happenings.  If someone was taking a video, he would position himself to be in it.  He had no shame in asking if he had made it into the recording.  He could dance and dance well.  I am not sure how anyone his age could pull of the moves that he had, but he was actually quite good and quite energetic.  After listening to the competition for a while, I asked Mike if he wanted to walk.  There were various venders set up and we walked rather quickly through them and found our way on the edges of the campground where people in tents of various sizes and all makes and models of campers and RV’s were packed in side by side.  Again, the diversity represented by the inhabitants of the campground was profound.  Who knew that so many people from so many different backgrounds would enjoy the old-time music of the fiddler’s convention?  As we began to walk through the camp, we found group after group of musicians singing, some with just a few people standing by to listen, others with large crowds.  The music represented was everything from gospel, to blue grass, to old time music, and old country.  Before leaving, we stopped where a large crowd had gathered.  There were perhaps a half a dozen flat foot dancers keeping the beat as the group of musicians played.  It was a lively crowd, and lively music.  I can watch the flat foot dancers for hours, never getting tired of watching their feet move with the beat of the music. One dancer not old enough to go to school, another looked to be near 90, and every age in between, they represented an Appalachian tradition that is still alive and well.  Flat foot dancing is typically passed from generation to generation, the younger generations learning by imitating the freestyle dance moves of their parents and grandparents.  This moment standing on the sidelines and absorbing the spirit of the group gathered around was hopeful to me.  There were so many different people represented in that place, brought together by their love of old time music and regional dance.  It seemed at that moment that the world was a good place filled with good people. 

August 13, 2018

Friday, Mike and I got up and made the trip to the Roanoke Valley to attend the produce auction.  We didn’t buy anything and would not have gone except that we had a truck load of boxes to sell.  We accumulated a number of produce boxes over the years and have them stored at the farm in Verona.  Mike has begun trying to clean up and clear out his things there and the boxes need to go.  The gently used boxes go into the auction where the growers place their bids, paying pennies on the dollar compared to new box prices.  It is a win/win for everyone.  We need to find new homes for the boxes and we make a few dollars in the process.  It would be easier to pile them up and burn them, but our nature is to try to reuse, salvage, recycle and find purpose for anything that is still functional. 

Friday, like most of our days, was a typical, normal, routine day and yet I ended the day thinking, “I have waited all my life to be where I am right now.”  On the way to the Roanoke Valley, Mike and I started talking and our conversation, although not profound, ended up being a time of deep connection and intimacy.  It was a simple day.  It was a beautiful day. 

Saturday, I spent a good part of the day getting caught up on washing up the clothes and hanging them on the line while I made butter and mozzarella cheese from our fresh cow’s milk.  I was happy with almost three pounds of mozzarella, two pounds of butter and about a gallon of cultured buttermilk from my efforts. 

Sunday, I got up early to get more clothes washed, hung up to dry, and milk the cow before we went to church.  After church, we had leftovers for lunch.  We had a number of tomatoes that needed to be preserved but not enough to get out the canner.  So, I made some pizza sauce using the peppers and tomatoes form our garden as well as the oregano and basil that I have growing in containers right outside the back door.  The house smelled so good while the sauce was cooking.  I couldn’t wait until later and had to go ahead and make us a pizza for our supper.  I used my sourdough to make the crust, our Italian pork sausage, the mozzarella I had made on Saturday and the fresh, homemade pizza sauce.  I cooked it up in my Wagner, cast iron square skillet and it was absolutely delicious.  I was able to freeze enough sauce for four more meals. 

It’s Monday morning and we have been up since 3 am with a busy week ahead of us.  We have some really exciting things to look forward to this week as well as some events that are going to be extremely difficult both physically and emotionally.  My human nature wants this week to be finished so that the difficult part can be behind us but I know I need to take each moment as it comes and try to experience it as best I can and make the most out of each situation.