Friday, July 01, 2022

What You're Getting Wrong About Appalachia by Elizabeth Catte ~ A book review


The author wastes no time letting the reader know her dislike for the book HILLBILLY ELEGY and its author JD Vance.  Elizabeth Catte wrote WHAT YOU ARE GETTING WRONG ABOUT APPALACHIA as a rather terse rebuttal to Mr. Vance's work.  While I can empathize with her sentiments and agree with much of her logic, I would have preferred a work that presented the facts without consistently referring back to Vance and his writing in Elegy.  It just felt too much like a street fight.  I almost always gain something from every book I read and this book was no exception.  I learned things and took away more of an understanding of the diversity of Appalachia.  This is just not a book that I really enjoyed or would read a second time.   


I would recommend the book HILL WOMEN by Cassie Chambers as an alternative to Hillbilly Elegy and WHAT YOU'RE GETTING WRONG ABOUT APPALACHIA.   



I gave this book a two-star review on Goodreads.  I borrowed the Audiobook through Libby.