Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Why didn't I take my camera?


Today was full of photo opportunities and I didn't have my camera with me! I could just kick myself for leaving it at home. We went to Dayton (about 30 miles from home) to pick up twelve bushels of peaches. (Some for us, some to sell and some for other family members.) Dayton is home to a large community of old order Mennonites. It was unreal the difference between that area and home. They have had rain and a great growing season. We went down a country road and the corn was so high on both sides that it was like being in a jungle. The Mennonite farms are always neat and picture perfect. We stopped by the produce auction in Dayton as well. The produce was gorgeous and the little Mennonite children were adorable. I didn't mean to stare, but I couldn't keep my eyes off of them. The girls were in their little dresses and bonnets with bare feet. The boys had on their straw hats and they also had bare feet.


This afternoon the vet came out and I had him do a reproductive exam on the two heifers that I got a couple of months ago. I also had them Bangs vaccinated, and TB and Brucellosis tested. I had all of the cows TB and Brucellosis tested as well. It was a hot day to be handling the cows, but I sure am glad to have it done. They all did pretty well. Nelly is very strong and she gave me a little trouble, but after I got her into the stanchion, she was very content.