Monday, June 07, 2010

Pineapple Ice Cream



I finally decided to give up my electric, bucket, ice cream maker circa 1970's that I got at an antique store new in the box for $20 and go for one of those "iceless/salt free" counter top models. After asking everyone I could think of what type of ice cream maker they would recommend, I finally bought the Cuisnart ICE-30BC. Knowing how much ice cream we eat in the summer (after all we have a free supply of milk and cream), I worried that the 2 quart bowl would not be nearly big enough. However, it turns out that it is just perfect for the two of us. We can make a batch of a different flavor every night if we want to. So far we have made vanilla, strawberry, peanut butter, peach and pineapple.

Pineapple ice cream is something I had never tried until I married Mike and I must admit that I tried it reluctantly. However, let me just go on the record as say, "It is absolutely delicious!"

Pineapple Ice Cream

1 1/2 cups whole milk
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 cup sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
1 large can of crushed pineapple
2 egg yolks from free range hens (optional to add color)

Mix all ingredients together until sugar has dissolved and then pour into Cuisinart ice cream mixer and freeze.