Saturday, November 21, 2009

Homemade Pizza


There's nothing better than homemade pizza made from as many zero mile ingredients as possible.

While I don't grind my own flour and don't grow all of the seasonings (something I really need to do is start an herb garden!) many of the ingredients are from right here on the farm.

To make the dough you can use a breadmaker on the "dough" setting or you can mix up the ingredients and make it the old fashioned way. I have done both:

1 Cup Raw Jersey milk
3 Tablespoons of Honey
3 Tablespoons of Raw Jersey Butter
1 tsp. salt
2-3 teaspoons of yeast (or one packet)
3 cups of flour

I melt the butter and warm the milk to about 110 degrees. I add the honey, salt and yeast to the warm liquid. I then mix in the three cups of flour. You may have to add a little more or a little less flour to make the dough pliable and not sticky.

Let the dough rise while you simmer the homemade sauce:

I make the sauce from tomatoes that I canned this summer.

I add salt, pepper, garlic, (home grown) onions, (home grown) bell peppers, and oregano to taste and simmer. The secret is to let it simmer as long as possible so that the flavors mix. After the sauce has simmered and cooked down, I thicken with tomatoe paste.

While the dough is rising and the sauce is simmering, I cook my farm raised, pastured, ground beef.

I then grate my homemade Mozzarella Cheese made from raw Jersey. milk.

I then roll out my dough, apply my homemade sauce, top with burger and mozzarella and bake.

Yummy!