Scrumptious Saturday ~ Marinated Mozzarella

I found the following recipe for marinated mozzarella and had to give it a try.  I made the marinated portion in a larger batch, packed the cubes of mozzarella in pint jars, and poured the marinade over the cheese in the jars.  I did put these jars in the refrigerator which caused the olive oil to become thick and cloudy.  I simply take a jar out and let it sit at room temp for a while before serving, allowing the olive oil to become clear again.  The only thing I did differently from the recipe below is that I used peppercorns instead of ground pepper and I used our own dehydrated tomatoes from this summer's garden in lieu of the sun dried tomatoes. 

So as to not waste the delicious, Italian seasoned olive oil, I simply drained the mozzarella through a strainer before serving (this also eliminated the peppercorns) and saved the oil.  I can use this oil in which to dip bread, or add some to vinegar for a nice Italian dressing. 

Prep Time: 20 minutes


Chill: 8 hours

Yield: Makes about 4 cups

Ingredients

3 (8-oz.) blocks mozzarella cheese

1 (8.5-oz.) jar sun-dried tomatoes, drained and halved

1/2 cup olive oil

3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon onion powder

1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

Garnish: flat-leaf parsley sprigs or fresh rosemary stems

Preparation

1. Cut blocks of cheese into 1-inch cubes. Arrange cheese cubes and tomato halves in an 8-inch square baking dish.



2. Whisk together 1/2 cup olive oil, chopped parsley, and next 6 ingredients; pour evenly over cheese cubes. Cover and chill at least 8 hours or up to 24 hours. Transfer mixture to a serving plate. Garnish with fresh flat-leaf parsley sprigs, or spear tomato halves and cheese cubes with short rosemary stems, if desired. Drizzle with marinade, if desired.



Southern Living, OCTOBER 2007

Comments

Deb said…
Hmmmm, may have to try this. Strangely enough, I just did a marinated fried mozzarella recipe I found yesterday and it was yummy too. :)