Thursday, March 19, 2015

Old Fashioned Sauerkraut (Reviewed and Updated September 23, 2022)




Sauerkraut evokes memories for me of visiting my dad's only living sister in her modest mountain home in North Georgia.  I would pull up to her table and be served a big dish of hand-chopped, crock-fermented cabbage. While visiting family at Lookout Mountain,  I eagerly anticipated not only eating kraut but also a jar or two of this delicious treat to take home with me.  As an adult, when I decided to try to replicate my aunt's delicious kraut, I asked her for instructions.  She told me how the cabbage must be chopped by hand, salted, pounded, weighed down under the brine, and left to ferment. My aunt has passed away now and each time I make kraut, I think of her. and the legacy of the strong women in my Appalachian ancestry.  

Sauerkraut is a fine German word that simply means "sour cabbage".  Cabbage is transformed into kraut by the magic of lactic acid used to ferment the cabbage.  Not only is kraut delicious, but it also provides a variety of health benefits. 

How To Make Sauerkraut:

Preparation:

I have fun making my kraut in an antique crock, but it's not necessary.  One can also make kraut in a glass gallon jar.  I like to make kraut in large quantities because it keeps so well.  When making kraut, you want to be sure to use only unchipped enamel or glass jars.  Wooden, glass, or enamel utensils should be used when making or dipping the kraut.  (No metal or stainless)

Fresh, organic cabbage is best for making kraut.


Getting Started:

You will need approximately five pounds of cabbage for a gallon container.   Measure out three Tablespoons of canning salt (salt that does not contain iodine) per five pounds of cabbage.  Shred your cabbage.  (While my dear Aunt swore that it must be chopped finely by hand, I admit that I don't have the time or patience and use my food processor for this task, especially since I tend to make five or six gallons per batch.)  

Making Kraut:

Layer your shredded cabbage by sprinkling a tablespoon of salt between each layer.  (Remember that you are using three tablespoons per five pounds of cabbage.)  You will want to end with salt sprinkled on top.

At this point, I have found that walking away and letting the salt begin to draw moisture from the cabbage is very helpful.  I usually return in about an hour and begin pounding the cabbage.  Once enough juice has been extracted from the cabbage, then you need to press the cabbage down beneath the surface of the brine.  It's very important that all of the cabbage be covered by the liquid.  You will then need to weigh the cabbage down to keep it submerged under the brine as it ferments.  When I am using my large crock, I place a plate on top of the cabbage and then put a gallon jar filled with water on top of the plate to hold it down.  I cover the whole crock with a flour cloth sack to keep it clean.

As the cabbage begins to ferment, scum will form on top.  Simply skim this off, keep the cabbage submerged, and allow it to ferment for 7 to 14 days.  Warmer temperatures will make the fermentation take place more quickly, although you don't want the temps to be higher than 70 degrees if possible.  The fermentation process will be slower at less than 70 degrees.

That's all there is to it!

Storing Kraut:

After your kraut has fermented, as long as you have a cool place to store it, you can actually leave your kraut in the crock (or glass jar)  and dip out what you need.  The kraut keeps well in a climate of 40-50 degrees.  I don't have a place cool enough to keep my sauerkraut year around, so I put it in quart jars and store it in the refrigerator.  I currently have some that I have kept for eight months in this manner and it's delicious!  Made and stored without heating, the kraut retains all its nutritional properties.

In the event you need to "can" your kraut, simmer for ten minutes, pack in sterilized canning jars, fill within 1/2 inch of the top, cover with brine and process for ten minutes in a hot water canner.  If you don't have enough brine, you can make more brine by diluting two tablespoons of salt in a quart of water.

Enjoy!