Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Mexican Cornbread



I love cornbread!  I love it slathered in butter, I love it with honey drizzled over it, I love it crumbled in my beans or my soup, and I love it with jalapenos/fresh corn and cheese in the mix!  We have always called this version "Mexican Cornbread". 

Cornbread

1 Cup All Purpose Flour
3/4 Cup Cornmeal (We love the local, coarsely ground cornmeal)
2 to 3 Tablespoons of Sugar (Can be omitted.  I grew up on sugarless cornbread but hubby likes it sweet)
2 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
3/4 teaspoon of salt
1/4 Cup Melted Butter
2 beaten eggs
3/4 to 1 Cup of Buttermilk (Play around with it to see what works best for you.  I find different types of cornmeal require more or less.)

In a medium bowl stir together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Set aside.

Add a tablespoon of butter to a 10 inch iron skillet (or a 9 inch round baking pan).  Place in 400 degree oven just long enough to melt the butter.  Swirl and coat the skillet or baking pan with the butter, coating bottom and sides of pan. 

In a small bowl combine eggs, milk, and 1/4 cup of melted butter.  (I actually just melt my 1/4 cup of butter in my skillet, swirl it around, and then pour it into the bowl.)  Add this mixture all at once to flour mixture.  STIR JUST UNTIL MOIST.  Pour batter into hot skillet or pan.  Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until toothpick or fork inserted comes out clean.



Variations:

To make "Mexican Cornbread" stir any mixture of the following into your cornbread prior to baking. 

1/2 Cup of frozen, whole kernel corn
1 Cup of shredded cheddar or monetary jack cheese (or combination of both)
2 or more seeded, chopped jalapenos.  (Two gives the cornbread a lot of flavor.  Add more if you like it spicier.) 
Chopped Small Onion 

(Note:  I typically use the corn and jalapenos only in my Mexican Cornbread but all of the variations are good!)

Muffins:

Spoon batter into 12, greased muffin cups or use muffin/cupcake papers.  Bake in 400 degree oven approximately 15 minutes. 

Enjoy!