Monday, October 16, 2017

Monday Journals




October 11, 2017

Monday and Tuesday were busy as usual but it felt like we were a little more organized.  All of the grandkids were at the house on Monday and we had a rainy day with remnants of Hurricane Nate which kept us indoors.  After the twins left, I put together some supper, picked up the house, washed some laundry and fell into bed around 9 pm. 

Tuesday was pretty routine with a trip to the Antique Mall to take some “new” items and tidy up the booths and a quick stop to the grocery store.  I also took the car by the carwash and vacuumed it out and washed it.  I use to be very good about keeping my car clean but then we started using it first to haul produce and then to haul antiques and it stayed dirty all the time.  I would clean it out and within 24 hours it was trashed, so I finally just gave up and stopped trying.  In addition, when we take it to Laurel Fork, we travel dirt roads and the car gets dusty or muddy.  I knew we were going to leave the car in Staunton this weekend, so I figured my clean car could sit in the garage in Staunton for a week at least before we got it dirty again.  When I got home, Rory was screaming and Alissa said that she had thrown up a couple of times.  She acted just miserable and I was convinced that she must have a virus.  She did not seem feverish but was obviously miserable and continued to gag from time to time.  I kept her all evening and she cried most of the time while Alissa was at school.  When Alissa got home, Rory continued to gag and act like she didn’t feel good until about ten o’clock when she gave a hard sneeze and out flew a leaf!  She immediately smiled and Alissa and I burst into a fit of laughter.  I felt bad that she had suffered all afternoon but we had not been able to find anything in her mouth.  The only thing we can think is that she had it partially down her throat where we couldn’t feel it in her mouth and it kept irritating her and causing her to gag until she finally sneezed it out.  Thankfully the situation wasn’t worse and eventually remedied itself. 

Today I milked Faith and left part of the milk for Analia who loves it so much and brought the rest with us to Laurel Fork.  I swept and mopped a few floors, did more laundry, took care of some correspondence and then we started off about midday for SW Virginia.  We had a few stops to make and had to pick up some auction items in Roanoke for a friend.  It was a small truck load that we unloaded and stored for him.  We took the parkway for part of the trip and the leaves were pretty although I don’t think they are going to be exceptional this year.  Then, we stopped in Floyd at a small restaurant called The Blue Ridge Café.  It was our first time there and while they didn’t have an extensive menu, the portions were large and the food was good.  The server was friendly and helpful and the place was very clean.  The building had been the bank (Built in 1820 I believe) in Floyd and then a restaurant since 1927.  I really enjoy historic buildings and it was pretty cool that there had been a restaurant in that spot since 1927.

We were anxious to get to our SW Virginia home.  We had talked to someone who said there had been some power outages, flooding and downed trees.  As we approached our house, we saw a large tree down at the neighbors and I was nervous about what we would find at our place but things looked good.  There was no flooding and it appeared we had never lost power. 

October 12, 2017

Most times the stress just melts away the minute I walk in the door of our Rural Retreat but I couldn’t quite get relaxed last night.  I guess I have too many things on my mind right now.  I read a book that a friend gave me a while back when some folks were causing drama by trying to manipulate a situation with one of our family members and I was struggling with feeling the sting of being misunderstood and betrayed.  The book WHEN THINGS FALL APART:  HEART ADVICE FOR DIFFICULT TIMES was written by Pema Chodron who is an American Buddhist nun.  While I am not Buddhist (and neither is my friend who gave me the book) I found Pema’s insight to be invaluable and I often remind myself of the truth’s she highlights in the book and specifically the idea that we are not “in control” and most of our frustration and anxiety comes from being unable to control situations or other people.  I think I do better at “letting go” than at any other point in my life, but I still have a long way to go.  I’m not sure if it’s because I was the oldest child and given a lot of responsibility, if it’s because of the religious teachings of the churches and Christian school I attended growing up that made us feel like we were somehow responsible for the whole world and would be held accountable, if it’s just because of my genetic makeup and personality, or what it is, but when I really get ahold of the concept that I am only responsible for me, then it’s very freeing.  Pema doesn’t imply that we shirk our duties to others, or not have a humble attitude of grace toward all of humanity.  Quite the opposite.  But the concept that we can’t control another’s mind, actions, or the outcome of any given situation gives us the freedom to just accept, learn, grow, and move on where appropriate.  My mind is currently full thinking of multiple family members struggling with a variety of transitions including health issues, career changes, intentional unemployment, loss of mobility, loss of cognitive function, feelings of anxiety, emotional stress, and more.  There is a balance to offering support to those family members while understanding that I personally can’t control the outcomes.  When I learned to accept every situation as a chance to grow and become a wiser and better person, then I was better able to handle the” curve balls” that life throws at me.  It’s an ongoing process and there are a lot of times when I start out kicking and screaming but I think I have learned that ultimately each situation that presents itself is an opportunity for growth.  One example of this is the communication between Mike and I.  For most of our married life, we both went our separate ways.  While we enjoyed being together on Sundays or for an evening meal, his work took him one direction and mine took me another.  He had his finances and I had mine.  He made decisions regarding his farming ventures and I made decisions regarding my farming ventures.  That’s not to say that we didn’t discuss things but ultimately, we made individual decisions and many times didn’t communicate on a lot of things.  Our thought patterns are completely different and how one of us approaches a situation is many times opposite of how the other would approach a situation.  He is the extrovert and I am the introvert.  He will talk until the cows come home and I am stressed if I have to carry on a five-minute conversation or make a telephone call.  For years, I would clam up and shut down if we had a difference of opinion that resulted in an argument.  Now, Mike and I communicate about everything and most of the time we do it very well but inevitably we reach a snag that sends me into a tail spin and makes me want to retreat to my non- communicative status once again.  To bring this back around to the book, it has been helpful for me to realize that I am only responsible for explaining myself clearly and doing my part to keep the lines of communication open.  The “struggles” that we have from time to time when we communicate are opportunities for growth.  As painful as it is for me sometimes to accept the fact that Mike doesn’t understand my thought process or that he doesn’t agree with my logic, I try to come around to the idea that each time we “struggle” we have opportunities for growth.  In retrospect, I am thankful that Mike loves me enough to “struggle” through and give us the opportunity to grow closer and understand each other better.  Two years ago I would have said that on a deeper level, Mike didn’t understand me.  Today, I can’t say that.  I think he has really learned to understand my strengths and weaknesses as well as my idiosyncrasies and is the soul mate who helps to stretch me so that I grow as well as surrounds me with the kind of love that allows me to fall.   Our biggest struggle as humans is that we have to keep practicing the truths we learn to make them our own. While I didn’t agree with all of Pema’s religious beliefs, I found the “truths” in her book to be universal and to fall in line with the teachings of Jesus who reminds His followers not to struggle over that for which we have no control and to practice love in all things. 

Pema writes, “Life is a good teacher and a good friend.  Things are always in transition, if we could only realize it.  Nothing ever sums itself up in the way that we like to dream about.  The off center, in between state is an ideal situation, a situation in which we don’t get caught and we can open our hearts and minds beyond limit.”

October 13, 2017

I went for an early morning walk yesterday.  The fog was thick and the sun was working hard to make its way over the mountain ridge and above the fog line.  As I stood on the highest point of our property and watched the sun rise, I was struck once again not only with the beauty but also with the reminder that the sun is always there, but sometimes we have to work harder to see it. 

When I returned to the house, I made breakfast for Mike and I and then we left to run errands.  We had a list of stops we had to make in two different towns.  One of our stops was at the government center to turn in the paperwork to apply for land use status for our SW Virginia property.  Since we were there, we paid our taxes due in December as well so we wouldn’t have to worry about doing that later.  We stopped at several different fuel companies to talk to them about the details of getting a larger propane tank and their fuel prices.  Mike is very much a proponent of price shopping and getting the best deal, he can get.  I am too, but my method is to ask the price, which takes about two seconds, and move on.  Mike, of course, gets into a full-length conversation with everyone he meets.  After several hours, we had the errands run and I needed a few things from the grocery store.  We both try to avoid Walmart for multiple reasons and only end up shopping there usually three or four times a year.  Mike needed some new jeans and since the Walmart is 45 minutes from our home in SW Virginia and we were close, we decided we would shop there.  Unfortunately, after going through piles and piles of jeans, there wasn’t a single pair in Mike’s size.  We got our other groceries and went home.  It was midafternoon and we were both hungry by this time, so I made us some BLT sandwiches.  We still have beautiful garden tomatoes but we know that we are close to a heavy frost soon and the homegrown tomatoes will soon be gone.  I am trying to take advantage of them while we still have them.  After our late lunch, I made a batch of chocolate chip cookies.  I love my old oven here at our old farmhouse.  It is most likely a late 40’s or early 50’s model made by General Electric.  I do wish that it was a gas stove, but I really can’t complain about it because it is the best baking oven I have ever owned.  My pies and cookies come out perfect.  After calling my grandma, we settled in early to watch a little TV but within a few minutes, I was sound asleep.  I woke up sometime before midnight and moved to the bedroom where I slept until 6:30 am, which is sleeping in for me.  I must have been even more tired than I thought, getting close to ten hours of sleep last night. 

October 14, 2017

I slept again like a baby easily getting nine hours sleep.  I can’t remember when I have slept that much in two days.  I really sleep better in our Mountain home and I think it’s for multiple reasons that I do so, but one contributing factor is the lack of reliable electronics.  With no internet except what we can sometimes get on the phone or Ipad and with cell phone service being unreliable, we find our life to be much quieter and more relaxed.  After breakfast, I made a trip to the Dollar Store to get flour and sugar so I could make cookies.  In the past two days, I have made sugar cookies, shortbread cookies, chocolate chip cookies, oatmeal cookies, peanut butter cookies, and snickerdoodles.  Most of them have gone in the freezer and I will pull them out in a couple weeks when we have a get-together.  I also made a one-gallon pot of cheeseburger soup to take back to Staunton with us to feed the family on Monday.  We had steak, baked potatoes and a salad for supper last night, hamburgers tonight and I have a roast thawed out to cook for Sunday dinner.  The kitchen is one of my favorite places and I enjoy cooking delicious food for our family and occasionally for friends.  I am always so very thankful for the quality of food we have and the bounty.  I hope I never take what we as most middle-class Americans consider “the little things” for granted. 

The young man we hired to work on the barn (who brought the snake in a bucket and showed up late and didn’t stay long last week) never showed up to work again.  I had a really bad feeling about him and his friend when I met them.  I tried hard not to be judgmental and give them the benefit of the doubt, but the gut is often right.  They seemed willing to work and said they needed the money but I was pretty sure they would take their “advance” and run.  We just keep hitting brick wall after brick wall when it comes to getting things done around here, especially with the barn.  But this weekend did offer a chance for humanity to reveal the flip side of human nature and to prove once again that there are honest, hardworking people of character left in the world.  Today, one of the men who helped put up the guttering last week showed up to fix our chimney.  He had to extend the chimney to make it higher and install a roof cap.  That was no easy task.  He had to climb to the peak of our two-story house and carry cement as well as the extremely heavy extension.  This gentleman is a man of character with a solid work ethic and manners as well as being engaging and a lot of fun.   Mike talked to him about repairing the roof on the barn and painting it and he agreed to do it, starting next Saturday if the weather holds out.  I feel very good about this man and his quality of work.  I am hopeful.  In addition, we did find someone to install the whole house generator and I feel very good about this particular contractor as well.  So, we are making progress a little at a time. 

While I have been mostly in the kitchen the past few days, Mike has been mostly in the yard.  He is working hard to remove the brush from along the fence line.  The back yard is steep and has a fence to the right side as I look out my kitchen window.  There is a grove of mature pine trees just beyond the fence which leads to more mature hardwood trees of various types that cover the mountain side down to the stream that runs along the edge of the road for miles.  We intend to eventually take that fence out which will allow us to walk through our yard directly into the woods.  (These woods are filled with deer and turkey that I startle on my morning walks through the pasture which sets above.)  The back yard itself has been maintained relatively well but the fence line has been left to grow up for many years and the forest has taken over.  There are huge, thick vines hanging from the tops of some of the trees along the fence line.  These vines have wrapped themselves around the branches of the trees, grown down over the fence, wrapping themselves around and around the fence post and then grown out into the yard.  It is a jungle.  Mike has worked so hard to cut and pull the vines and haul them off to burn.  Each time he works on it, the area gets more and more open and I can see into my beloved forest and even up through the trees to the pasture above to some degree. 

Today is Sunday and while we don’t have to be back early to Staunton today, the day will fly by and it will be time to head back so we can get there before dark.  Every week we get a little bit sad when we leave our Mountain home.  I am thankful for the time we can spend with the grandkids, and time will fly by quickly.  Before we know it, they will be on to new adventures and their time at Tita and Papa’s will be a thing of the past.  I remind myself of this every week as we make our way back to Staunton.  Everything is but for a season and I am thankful for this time with our little people and the opportunity to be so involved in their lives.  Each day is a gift.  Each day is filled with opportunities for growth and for joy when we choose it.  I have much for which to be thankful. 



Sunday Evening

We left our Mountain property later today than usual and I am sitting in the cab of the truck with my computer across my knees while Mike navigates the horrible traffic.  Neither of us wanted to leave “home” and we just kept delaying until finally it was necessary to go.  The last few weeks have brought events that took us home early on Sunday and it was nice to just be able to hang out at the house until late afternoon.  We have started occasionally going to the Buffalo Mountain Presbyterian Church.  Neither of us have a background as Presbyterians but the church is close to our home and the handful of people there are so kind.  It’s ironic because I am very much an “Anabaptist” in my own ideology and I have struggled within myself at the last three Anabaptist churches because I felt that the church was leaning further away from their stance on various issues where they have taken historic stands, not limited to, but including pacifism.  Attending the Presbyterian church, I am very much aware that the members are not pacifists.  Several of the speakers have been former military leaders and they have the American flag prominently displayed in front of the church (an act with which I am familiar from the Baptist churches of my youth but something in which the Brethren and other Anabaptist churches don’t participate).  The things that are important to me and are a personal conviction are that, a personal conviction.  I hope as one who believes strongly that I am called to be a pacifist (although I was a late bloomer in my understanding and declaration of such) that I can love those who think differently than me and offer a huge amount of acceptance and understanding for each individual.  I hope somehow, I can receive the same in return, but if not, then it will be an opportunity for growth on my part.  One thing about this little church is that is an aging church and perhaps, a dying church, although I hope not.  I admit, that I am drawn in by the story of Bob Childress and his part in establishing this church and the fact that he was a man whose love and acceptance beat the odds and broke through the anger, ignorance, and misunderstandings so prominent in the early 1900’s (as portrayed in the book A MAN WHO MOVED A MOUNTAIN).  I hope that something there in that little church at Buffalo Mountain will survive and grow.  There were about 20 people there today, including us.  The visiting pastor was elderly as almost all of them have been.  The church is without a permanent pastor and the Presbytery sends a different pastor each week.  So many of the parishioners are also aged the oldest who will soon be 95 and was an original member when the church was built in 1929.  My eyes have been so opened lately to the struggles of those who have lived a long life, perhaps in part because I realize that I too, should I remain on this earth another 20 or 30 years, will reach the point where they are.  At fifty, I see how quickly time flies and I realize 20 or 30 years is but a blink of the eye.  I saw with clarity the increased physical difficulties of some as they moved about.  I heard the voice of the visiting pastor as he explained that he has macular degeneration and will go blind with time.  I saw a couple whom I am sure the one spouse suffers from an acute dementia and as the “care giving” spouse seemed to struggle with their memory as well.  I saw a church full of elderly people struggling to keep the church alive and I saw myself in 20 or 30 years with the same physical and mental struggles that they are now battling.  My heart went out to them and to my relatives who are aging or aged.  I feel an urgency to welcome each day and to be thankful for all the health benefits I currently enjoy.  No matter what our age, everything can change in the blink of an eye.  I am rambling, but to tie this all together, I think the “me” of even six months ago would have looked for a “more vibrant” church with more youth and vitality and one that reinforced our own ideals.  I am definitely not a Calvinist or a Presbyterian but I am a human, a person who looks to Jesus example for the best way to live my life, a lover of the mountains in which I seek to make my home, and I already love these people who in their unassuming ways have somehow bridged a gap in my heart from “broken” to “healing” by reminding me that labels are not important and there is room for all of us to grow together.

Perhaps, the greatest lesson I am learning from the past seven or eight months is that this idealist, for that is what I have always been, needs to let go of ideals and just learn to live.  The story lines we work so hard to construct need to be left at the door and we need to enter each day open to the present and full of love.