Monday, November 20, 2017

Monday Journal Entry



November 13, 2017

We drove back to Staunton right after church on Sunday morning.  We had not been in several weeks and I really wanted to go back over to the Presbyterian Church that is relatively close to our house.  It’s funny because six months ago, I was so disheartened and discouraged by folks who meddle, gossip, and stab in the back those with whom they are supposed to love and do it all in the name of the church.  I won’t say that I’m not cautious and that I don’t go into church with my eyes wide open, but I do realize that I have disappointed and hurt others during my lifetime and my presence in church is my time to quiet myself and reflect on God and life and what I need to do for personal growth.  Although I don’t go to church to “feel good”, I do feel a connection with the mostly elderly congregation of about twenty people there.  I WANT to return and that’s what makes the difference.  We are fortunate that although the congregation is very tiny, the guest preachers they have are interesting and informative, all of them so far being highly educated and able to expound upon the history and background of the scriptures they choose to discuss.  Of course, with my personal pacifist leanings and my personal interpretation leading me to follow more of an Anabaptist thought, there are things that I find don’t line up with my interpretations of Scripture and Christ’s example, but I guess I am at a different place in my life where that doesn’t really matter to me.  Well, I shouldn’t say that it doesn’t matter to me, but I am learning that my personal ideals are just that. While I may feel that I am right in some of my choices and beliefs, that doesn’t keep me from being able to live in harmony with others.  Isn’t that in fact the crux of Anabaptist doctrine anyway?  It’s a lot easier to “live in peace” with those who believe exactly as we do.  Where our conscience is tested is in how we react when folks do not believe the same was as we do and especially when those folks are also “Christians”.  Case in point, I do not believe in promoting the military in a church service or even in recognizing the veterans of the military during a church gathering.  I understand why it is done and I grew up in Baptist Churches that proudly displayed the American flag in the front of the church and put their military veterans on a pedestal.  So, I get it.  I understand it.  I lived it for most of my life.  My views, my conscience, my interpretation of following Christ means that I don’t promote the military or nationalism in church especially but that doesn’t mean that I can’t have fellowship, understanding, love those I have chosen to be with on Sunday who might feel otherwise.  Anyway, it was good to see the dear people, get a hug from the kind Mrs. Childress; wave and smile at the West Point graduate, career veteran (as old as my dad) whose winning grin, sparkling eyes, unexpected, politically incorrect comments and Universalist religious background keep us on our toes; and converse with the warmhearted, genuine, kind people who stop to chat.  Mike and I have been disappointed at times over the last few years with “people” but we have also had opportunity to see and know and understand the hearts of various folks with various backgrounds in vastly different settings with different ideals than our own, and have come to realize more than ever that it’s all ok.  When we view each situation as a chance to learn, grow, and expand, we realize that conflicts of interest and opinions are necessary to bring us to maturity. 

When we arrived back in Staunton, we went to both of the Antique Malls where we have our booths.  I had not been over to Verona Antiques since Mike set up our area and he wanted to see if I could tweak it as well as add a few more pieces.  When we got there, his youngest sister and her husband were in our booth and a little later his mom came to check it out.  We managed to work it over a little bit, but the space is very small and limited because we only rented half a booth.  We then went over to The Factory Antique Mall and we were very disappointed in the booth that we share with our partner in the front of the mall.  I had spent so much time re-arranging it and had our small section looking really good, but our friend came in and reworked his section and added a number of shelving units and a lot more merchandise.  The additions made the booth very crowded and the one shelving unit we use to display our items in that front booth had been turned in a different direction which made it not as eye catching to folks as they approach the booth.  Since the booth technically belongs to our friend and he has absolute right to do whatever he wants to do with it, we can’t fault him for doing what he feels is best to sell his merchandise.  I was just disappointed that the atmosphere and carefully planned display that I had worked so hard to achieve was compromised and so quickly after I had done the work.  Our booth in the back of the Factory Antique Mall is solely ours and that one just needed a little tidying up as a few things had been oved around by shoppers.   It was fun to get back to the “madhouse” that is home when we are in Staunton.  The two little granddaughters were so happy to see us.  Analia really missed us having had spent so much time with us the week before.  She told her mommy that she would miss her if she went with us back to Laurel Fork, but she misses us too when we are not there.  Analia shrieked and grabbed my legs and told me she loved and missed me.  Rory immediately tried to stand and walk to me and started crying when I had to walk by her and not pick her up immediately because my arms were full.  It feels really good being a grandma and being loved so much by your grandkids.  Those moments make me thankful that we can give so much of our time to them, even though it does require a lot of sacrifice.  Alissa had to turn in a paper for her MA exam and I had reviewed it and highlighted some potential changes.  We tried to go over that together but the girls were both wanting our attention and finally I took Analia and went to the bedroom with her to get her settled down and in bed.

Monday was a good day.  It was the first time in a couple of weeks that I had felt good and like myself which made things go a lot better.  The girls were both feeling better to with everyone except for Gab and Mike completely over their colds.  Rory seemed really content and only fussed a little.  She also napped really well for me.  Analia was happy to have me as a playmate although she kept asking about the twins.  I know she really misses them on Monday.  They are studying at home with their momma as their teacher instead of going to preschool and I know that Kristin is enjoying being able to spend this time with them before they start kindergarten next year.   After Alissa got home from work Monday, I grabbed a bite for Mike and I of leftovers and then we left to drive back to Laurel Fork.  We only spent about 27 hours in Staunton this week and it was actually a little hard to leave.  Alissa and Gab both looked so tired.  Gab is working extra hours at his job and Alissa has had so much work for school plus her job.  But, we had other things that we needed to attend to and had to make this a short trip to Staunton. 

We got in to Laurel Fork Monday night taking the truck and a trailer so we can pick up some lumber from the saw mill next week.  We got a good night’s sleep and then Mike got up and worked on the barn while I got breakfast and then he went back after we had eaten while I gathered what we needed to make a trip to Georgia.  We left the house around noon and headed to Georgia to spend some time with my grandmother.  It will be a working/business trip as well as a time for us to enjoy being with her.  The visits get harder each time because things change as people age and I think there is a certain amount of grief that comes along with facing those changes.  Still, I am thankful that we get to spend some time with her and it will be good to hug her knowing that each day is precious. 

November 15, 2017

We have slept in three different homes and three different beds in the last three days.  Every time I woke up last night (which was often), I couldn’t remember where I was.  Sunday night we were in Staunton, Monday we were in Laurel Fork, and Tuesday we were in Georgia at my grandmother’s house.  From the time I was a child well into my adult years, anytime I spent the night at my grandparents I always felt a sense of tremendous peace.  It was something tangible that I recognized.  I can remember being stressed and strained and crawling into bed at their house and thinking about how I always felt safe and loved there.  I remember that feeling well but no longer experience it.  Now when I go to my grandma’s house, I feel some stress and sadness and I wake often at night partly because I can hear her stirring, unable to completely settle down, and partly because I know that ultimately now I am responsible for her.  I don’t begrudge the roll that I now play.  She has given so much to me over the years that I can never give back to her enough.  My struggle comes in knowing best how to give back to her.  To those on “the outside” it may seem like an easy choice, but there are so many things to consider, including my respect for her desires that I must somehow balance with her safety and well-being.  My grandparents were always “public figures” in a small-town way.  With my grandpa being a pastor and my grandmother a pastor’s wife who took her roll very seriously, my brother and I and later my two children always had to “share” her with members of the church and community.  My grandparents weren’t perfect but they had hearts of gold and a genuine love for people and their love, dedication and care for other people was about as perfect as any human can be.  Many times, they opened their home to allow others to live with them.  They transported people who had no vehicles.  They shared their food and belongings with those who had less.  They physically cared for others young and old when they were in ill health or unable to care for themselves.  They were the first at the hospital when someone was going to have an operation or had to be admitted for care, even when the closest hospital was a hundred miles away and even when it was the dead of winter in Alaska.  I saw my grandparents leave the care of their own aging parents in the hands of others as they lived out their calling four thousand miles away in Alaska.  I saw them put that distance between themselves and their only child and two grandchildren in order to go where they felt they were being called and serve where they felt they were supposed to serve.  We always knew our grandparents deep love for us and their willingness to do anything they could for us that didn’t keep them from what they felt was their spiritual calling.  In spite of their dedication to the church, hey were able to manage so that we always felt special, loved, and cared for well by them.  I do remember once Alissa got into an argument with a little girl that my grandmother had kept since she was a baby.  The girl was a bit older than Alissa and told her that our grandmother was her Nan too.  Alissa, being only about three or four years old argued with her and said that she was her Nan and not the other little girl’s.  The heated argument was full of passion on both sides.  I eventually had to take Alissa aside and explain to her that while Nan was not blood related to the little girl, in her mind, Nan was her grandmother and we had to share Nan with others.  It was a difficult thing to do at times, sharing our grandparents with so many people in so many ways.  At times we dealt well with sharing and other times not so well.  My difficulty has come more recently with folks who feel that my grandmother is as much “theirs” as she is mine and it was only when I stepped back and remembered that I have shared my grandparents my entire life and that they have not been “just mine” that I began to receive the grace it took to overlook the hurt caused by the uninformed and misguided blunders of those who caused some problems for us because they didn’t understand what we were doing or why we were doing it in regard to my grandmother’s care and well-being.  These folks were the reason I stopped sharing details publicly.  I had been sharing some details on Facebook so that the “family” my grandparents had created for themselves literally across the United States would be able to be supportive and understanding as things changed for my grandma and for all of us.  But some people took what they read, twisted it to their own interpretation, went behind our backs and manipulated the situation by contacting a local church and pastor who went right along with their plan, leaving the family members out and creating a lot of problems for us to try to reverse once we found out what was going on.  The situation was handled, the folks who in their own mind were doing good but caused confusion and distress for my grandmother have backed off, my heart has stopped hurting over the incident, and eight months later I am able to see where I have allowed the whole event to bring growth even though my attitudes due to the hurt and betrayal I felt in the beginning kept me from that growth for a while.  So, here I am eight months later, at my grandma’s house for the third time since that event, trying to find the balance between her physical safety and well-being and her desire to remain independent and at home.  Each time I see her, her ability to think clearly and reason gets more and more difficult for her.  If we had unlimited resourced for her, the answer would be simple.  I would insist on full time assistance but the finances do not allow for that and for her to spend freely and live the way she is used to living.  She understandably does not want to give up her home and come to live with us.  She is unable to drive anymore and unable to manage her own finances which complicates things for her and frustrates her. 

I will admit that the last two times I have been here I have been so stressed and so tense, feeling as if I was on trial with the  church related “family” members my grandparents created for themselves over the years, and feeling like no matter what I did for my grandmother, it wouldn’t please her or those who feel it their duty to involve themselves so deeply in her life.  This time I have come in with the attitude that I am doing the best I can for my grandmother with the limited resources that we have (although we are blessed that those resources are more than what many of our elderly in this country have) and that I am approaching her care with respect and dignity for her abilities that she still has even as those abilities decline.  I come into it this time aware that I can please no one in this particular scenario and that outsiders who feel like they are family, neighbors, friends, church members, extended family members and even my grandmother will not be happy with any choice that I make because they are not able to see the big picture nor or they able to understand the limitations with which I must contend while I try to keep grandma has happy and comfortable as possible.

I come into this knowing that the story line that is being written does not meet anyone’s ideals, including my own or my grandmother’s, and all will be left disappointed and that sometimes the reality of life’s story lines are not fairy tales and do not have the type of happy ending that we are programmed to expect.  Within the confusion of the less than ideal story line of life, there are lessons, moments of clarity, and opportunities for intimacy.  It may not always be exactly what we want, but it is what we have. 

November 19, 2017

We are home.  Home.  I am happy and at peace to be here.

We had a good visit with my grandma.  We stayed four nights and three full days.  I was able to take care of some of the business I needed to attend to for her and the rest of the time we spent just getting her meals and spending time with her.  We took a couple of hours and went to a local auction about five minutes away from her house.  She had at first said she would go with us, but then decided not to go so we made it short and got home early to spend time with her.  We would sit down in the evenings and watch episodes of The Waltons with Nan.  I think she agreed the first time because she was being courteous.  I think she was a little put out to not watch her Gaither DVD, which is her nightly ritual from which she does not deter.  At this point in her life, everything is the same and she likes it that way because when things are different, she gets confused.  She did enjoy The Waltons and at the end of that episode, Olivia sang an old folk song I did not know I asked Nan if she knew it and she got excited and said, “Oh yes!”  Thereafter, we watched The Waltons every evening with Nan and while I know she enjoyed it, I am sure she was happy to get back to her Gaither tapes once we left.  Mike did a lot of yard work for Nan while we were there.  She likes everything to be immaculate.  While I have watched her strive for perfection her entire life, I never realized until recent years how much of that was because she is afraid of what others think.  Even now, she obsesses over her lawn “because of what the neighbors might think” even when a lot of the neighbors obviously don’t care at all and even if they did, would understand that she is an 88-year-old woman unable to do everything for herself.  Sometimes as people age and their mind starts to get weak, the mind begins to focus on certain things and they can’t let go of those thoughts.  Of course, we all do that to some extent, but the things that can become monumental to an elderly person we don’t always understand.  Nan’s yard is extremely important to her.  Her “standing” in the neighborhood (although the neighborhood is just working-class folks, some who don’t care a bit about what their yard looks like) is extremely important to her as is what her yard and home look like.  I also know that she grew up during the World War II era and her generation set very high standards generally speaking.  At any rate, the yard is a constant source of worry for her, in spite of the fact we pay for someone to come in and mow it, trim the bushes and my cousin who is her care giver also is forced into the roll of taking care of the lawn due to my grandmother’s constant fretting about it.  Mike trimmed limbs, chopped up leaves and blew them off the yard, mowed the yard that didn’t need mowed, and trimmed the bushes.  She then wanted him to go and do the neighbor’s yard, because to her, it looked bad and it because it was an extension of her yard, she felt it made her yard look bad as well.  (He didn’t do the neighbor’s yard, of course, but it was a constant source of worry to my grandmother.)  I kept meals on the table for us and my grandmother is used to eating her meals at exactly the same time every day 8am, Noon and 5 pm.  We are not used to eating on a schedule or eating three meals a day but we did so to keep her in her routine and make her happy.  It seemed like just as soon as I got everything prepared and we had eaten and cleaned up, it was time to do it all again.  We had taken beef and some veggies as well as a few canned goods with us.  My grandmother worked a lot outside the home when my mom was a little girl and later she was so involved in church activities and various odd jobs that she mostly relied on processed and quick foods.  As a child being raised either in a homestead setting or on a farm, I thought it tremendous fun to go to Nan’s house (when they lived close to us before moving back to Alaska) because I could eat all those quick processed foods, have snacks I wasn’t allowed at home, eat candy which I was rarely allowed at home and chew gum which I was not allowed to do.  Still, Nan’s favorite is a quick bite from McDonalds or Wendy’s.  She will admit that she would rather eat out than eat at home.  We did go out to eat with her on Friday night.  We met my brother and his wife and my Aunt and Uncle drove in from Ringgold, about 45 minutes away.  It was Mike’s 57th birthday and I made a homemade carrot cake for him.  We had a nice time visiting.  We said my grandma was the celebrity when we went out to eat.  Folks that knew her kept coming by to give her a hug.  One thing I did with my grandmother was to sit down and begin to write down a few of her “stories” We did not get very far with it, but I hope when I go back in a couple of months that we can get some more of them down on paper.  As she told her stories, she jumped around in time and it was a little bit hard to follow her. I would stop her and ask questions about the time line of events so that I could try to keep it straight.  The last couple of years have been hard for me as I didn’t want to accept my grandmother’s decline, I worried too much about other folks who didn’t understand and were trying to interject their own agenda into our lives, and I wanted to try to “fix” everything for her and make it “right”.  Trips to visit her were filled with stress as I tried to find the perfect solutions for her care and well-being while remaining respectful of her right to be independent.  This trip I went knowing there are no solutions that will make everything all better and the best we can do is take one day at a time and not worry about any outside judgments.  Because of my attitude and my own peace, the trip was a good one.  We had a nice visit, we accomplished things that needed to be accomplished, Nan enjoyed our company and we enjoyed hers and all those things that I can’t make better, I just accepted. 

On our way home, we stopped in Ringgold and had a cup of coffee and a good visit with my Aunt Jane and my Uncle Luke (brother and sister to Momma Helen).  It was so good to be able to sit down and spend time with them.  I had not seen Uncle Luke in a couple of years.  Our trip home was uneventful and we arrived back in Laurel Fork before dark.  Mike went to the barn to work for about an hour and I started laundry, put away our things from the trip, and then fixed us a grilled cheese sandwich for supper.  Since I don’t need to be in Staunton to watch the kids Monday, Mike and I will be able to alter our routine.  We usually head back North on Sunday afternoons but we will be staying through the first of the week and then heading back to Staunton in time for the Thanksgiving meal at the family farm on Thursday.  I am very much looking forward to a few days here in South West Virginia. 

We got ready and went to church this morning.  It was so good to see the smiling faces of new friends and I enjoyed the visiting preacher.  We have heard several of the pastors that rotate and fill in (since the church is without a pastor) but this was the first time this pastor had been there.  He was young and a chaplain at a Presbyterian University.  I enjoyed his sermon, a reminder that even in life’s toughest storms we can continue to have faith that our purpose in life remains as does God’s presence in our lives.  When we got home, I made dinner for us.  The house smelled so good as I fried apples, potatoes, steaks and cooked up some mountain cabbage.  After I got the kitchen cleaned, I took a walk to “the back forty” where I could get a view of Buffalo Mountain from the highest point on our property.  All of the leaves were off the trees.  It had been a couple of weeks since I had a chance to hike.  It was good to walk again.  It was windy and actually pretty cold, especially when I got to the top but I am glad that I went. 

Later in the evening, we noticed a man from down the road was hunting deer on the property across the road from us.  From our sun porch we could see the meadow and there was no evidence of activity from deer, a fact verified when we never heard any shots from the hunter.  However, the scenario struck me as extremely funny.  To the front of our house which faces east, all was still and to the rear of our house, facing west, the deer were active.  We could see the hunter from the front of the house waiting patiently with not even a sighting of deer.  Behind our house from the kitchen window, we watched a graceful doe just a few yards from our home and in a grove of pines making her way carefully but quickly.  She hesitated for a moment and then jumped the fence and went into our pasture, heading for the springs.  She acted as if she was aware of something or someone in the woods behind her and I made mention that there better not be any hunters on our property.  About a minute later we saw more movement when a buck appeared.  He wasted no time jumping the fence into the pasture with nose to the ground following the scent of the doe ahead of him.