Friday, March 30, 2018

Friday's Featured Farmer ~ An Update from Rachel McBride

I am super excited to share with you this guest post from Rachel McBride.  I have watched Rachel blossom and grow in the years that I have known her and I am just so incredibly proud of all her efforts to pursue the life that she and her husband have envisioned for themselves.  I watched Rachel learn to can pickles and salsa using some of the recipes I shared with her.  In return, she reminded me of the joys of trying and learning something new. Almost every canning season, without exception, she sends me pictures of something she has canned. It never fails to put a smile on my face.  

I love Rachel's determination and zest for life.  Rachel first wrote a guest blog for me back in 2010 which you can read at this link.  Rachel and her husband have moved their children to a place with more acreage and are still pursuing their dream of owning livestock.  The kids are happy and able to run outside and play and with each step they get closer to their goals. And, the important thing that I take away from Rachel's story is that no matter what, she always blooms where she is planted.  

Thank you Rachel for being you and for taking the time to write an update for our readers.  I love you!  Without any further comments from me, here is Rachel's brief update in her own words. ( Just reading them, I think you will understand why watching Rachel grow has been such a blessing to me.)






Oh gosh where to start?

My name is Rachel!

I am married to the greatest man!

We have been married now for 16 years. Wow, 16 years! The last time I wrote a blog for Tammy we had only been married for nine years! We now have an 8 1/2-year-old girl, a six-year-old girl, and  16-month-old little boy. Let’s just say a lot has happened since my last blog LOL.

I still love photography but I stopped pursuing it as a job, and I now work for a wonderful lady that makes some very yummy caramel’s and toffee’s. I cut and wrap each candy, package them, box them, and then ship them out. I really love my new job!







We have had more Gardens since the last time I blogged, each year I think to myself “ next year I will just go to the farmers market!" Then, the next spring  happens and I want to plant a garden!

The last two years we haven’t done a garden. One reason was that I was pregnant and the second reason was cause we were planning on moving. I am still passionate about canning and I love making salsa and making pickles.

As of this last May we finally moved out on 10 acres. I wanted to have a piglet this spring, but I think I need to wait till next spring. I still have a lot of work to do at on these acres before I can bring more animals out. That still could change if i fall in love with a piglet at some point. Lol

I have entered a fitness challenge in my town. So between working, going to the gym , I also have been trimming, cutting, pruning, and pushing over a lot of trees with my dad. He laughs at me because I love using an axe. He said I could get a lot more done with the chainsaw than I can with the axe. But, there is something about being able to swing that axe and cut on a tree that I love. I’m still learning, and I’m not good at it ,but I love it. I have lost 26 pounds and almost 6 inches off my waist in 10 weeks. So that’s definitely improvement. LOL





I have ideas for the land. I just don’t know how to get it fixed because it is full of rocks. My dad says is sandstone. I think coming soon my axe will change for sledgehammer.

We have chickens, about 30 of them. The spring I was pregnant we were at 100.  I blame the hormones. LOL We will be moving them in the next few weeks to our property.

My husband has noticed that I am trying really hard not to buy any more chickens. He said the other day that he wants to get them moved so that I can buy more LOL He really is a keeper!



 I sure do love that man. I am still working on trying to give Convince him into another livestock dog, we have one named Draco. Draco needs a friend LOL. My kids get to play outside so much more since moving here. We do not have cable TV or Internet at this moment and life is so good. Maybe the next time I write for Tammy, I will finally have pigs and cows LOL.





Love The Crazy life
McBride’s

If you would like to submit a guest post for consideration on the blog you can find more information at this link.  We would love to hear from some who have written in times past as well as new folks.  It doesn't matter if you run a large, multi generation farm or are just growing  herbs in containers on your front porch, you can inspire someone with your dreams.