Monday, April 02, 2018

Monday Journal Entry



Pilot Knob, NC as seen from the top of Buffalo Mountain in Virginia


March 30, 2018

March continues to present us with a large platter full of weather samples.  The only problem is, we don’t have a choice as to which one we try.  We bounce from winter back to spring, back to winter, and back to spring again.  Mike’s dad always had these old sayings about the weather and Mike repeats them often.  This month he has been talking about March “coming in like a Lion”.  We have yet to see what the last day of March brings, but yesterday it was sure roaring like a Lion.  Even though we had high winds, the sun was shining and the temperatures were pleasant which made for a lovely day even with the wind.  Last weekend’s snowstorm in Laurel Fork that dumped about 12 inches of heavy snow on us resulted in a lot of broken limbs on our property and damage to trees.  Mike also likes to tell me that his daddy always said if we don’t take care of the trees, then God will take care of them, and God was pruning this past week. Another thing he says is that when that March wind blows, and the trees shake, that it is God pumping the sap.   We worked outside all afternoon dragging broken limbs and adding them to the brush pile to clean up the yard and the barnyard area.  We had a branch come down on the chicken house and across the electric wire last weekend and Mike had sawed it off and thrown it down beside the chicken house.  Other branches were littered around the yard and grounds.  Things were quite a mess.  Even as we were cleaning up, the wind would gust and huge branches would fall from the tops of the old pines just off the yard.  Every time it would happen, I would glance up and wonder if I should run for cover.  The branches falling down in the pines didn’t present any danger to us but I was worried that one of the large pines would come toppling over and then the potential for injury or damage would be real.  Mike mostly worked on removing old fence while I worked on dragging brush.  It was great to see that old, ugly fence coming out in preparation for new fence.  I loved the look at the end of the day with all the fencing down behind the house and the yard mostly cleaned up.  I worked harder physically yesterday than I have in a long time and by the end of the day I could feel it.  Even with my back and arms aching, it was a good feeling knowing how much we had accomplished. 

Tuesday we were presented with a cold rain in Staunton and I have to admit, I really wanted to cancel the farrier’s visit.  I knew, however, to reschedule would be difficult, so I kept the appointment.  We had decided on the previous visit that we would tackle the goat’s hooves as well as the little horses.  Granted, I only have two goats, but by the time we are done with their feet I feel like I have twenty.  When I stopped milking my Miniature Nubians and sold off the herd, I also sold my goat stand.  The two goats I kept are friendly but they don’t appreciate being handled.  It is always a rodeo to trim their hooves.  The female goat is usually pretty calm once she is caught but the male goat is larger and puts up a fight.  My farrier is an amazing single mom who tackles the most difficult scenarios with grace and confidence and even willingly trims my goats hooves for me.  I am thankful to have found such a great farrier.  By the time we finished up, I was wet, cold and ready to get indoors, which was a good place to be for the rest of the day.  I had put a roast in the oven that morning and around noon Kristin, Nate, Hudson and Ella came to have lunch with us.  We were having an early birthday celebration for Kristin whose birthday was Wednesday.  It was great to have everyone together.  Alissa had to leave early for class that evening to attend a conference in Charlottesville at the University of Virginia.  I will admit, by the time she got home after nine, I was ready for bed.  It had been a full day. 

Wednesday morning the weather was much more agreeable.  Still in Staunton, I headed out to the barnyard to work on cleaning up some shelters wearing a jacket but soon shed the jacket once I began working.  I have so much to do there.  We had hoped to be able to move the Jerseys once they calved and milk them in Laurel Fork, but it doesn’t look like that is going to happen.  So, I am working on getting things back in shape in Staunton for when they start calving.  After working in the barnyard, I was hot, sweaty, and very stinky.  I was wearing Mike’s UVA Cavaliers sweatpants, a Star Wars T shirt, and had not combed my hair or put on any makeup.  I was quite a mess.  As I approached the house, Analia motioned for me from the kitchen door that she wanted me to hurry because she had something to show me.  When I got to the door she opened it and there stood a friend of Gab’s and Alissa’s whom I had never met before.  Analia excitedly said, “This is my Tita!”  I spoke to him and told him it was good to meet him and then he went on his way.  Of course, I felt totally unpresentable to be meeting someone but I refrained from making excuses about my looks or apologizing for them.  I am trying to be more focused on presenting a good example to my grandchildren that we don’t need to focus on outward appearance but instead we need to focus on quality character traits.  I mentioned to Alissa how excited Analia was to introduce me to the man, and Alissa said that Analia tells everyone about her Tita and thinks that everyone should meet me. That just melted my heart to think that my granddaughter sees me through such eyes of love.  Truly, when Jesus used children as examples when he spoke, he provided us with a model of how we need to approach life.  It is such a shame that we “grow up” and begin to judge one another, become critical of one another, and so often forget how to look at life through eyes of wonder and hearts of love. 

We had so much to do and didn’t get away from Staunton until late afternoon.  Mike had hay to deliver to some of his regular customers and he is dealing with trying to get broken equipment repaired.  The tractor in Staunton is a major repair and a reoccurring issue.  The dealer tried to blow it off as our problem and our fault, but Mike and his mechanic were able to research and find that the issue is an ongoing problem with these types of tractors.  This is the third time on the Deutz tractor that the wheels have locked up.  This time it threw Mike into the guard rail and he could have been seriously injured.  It is also a very costly repair of thousands of dollars with parts and labor.  Mike has spent a lot of time on the phone trying to get to the bottom of this issue.  By using a nonaffiliated mechanic, it has been impossible for the tractor dealership to cover up the issues and we are fortunate that our friend also did a ton of research giving us some leverage with the dealership.  Hopefully, they will at least give us a break on parts since this is a flaw in their product.  And while the tractor is not functional in Staunton, the loader is inoperable in Laurel Fork.  Mike took the part off the loader that broke, a solid piece of steel that snapped in two, and took it to a shop in Bridgewater to be repaired or replaced.  So, in order to get any work done with brush clearing and fence removal this week, we have resorted to muscle power.  There’s nothing like tearing down fence on an incline and dragging brush up hills to remind you that you now live in the mountains. 

March 31, 2018

It has been warm enough that we have not been building a fire in the bedroom fireplace until last night.  Although it hasn’t been warm, the days have been pleasant enough with a jacket and at time, when working, we have stripped down to short sleeves.  Was nice to get some sun on our arms and faces.  Nothing like some natural Vitamin D to boost the spirits!  The air was brisk and cold yesterday evening and with the temps falling below freezing overnight, we decided to build a fire.  After working outside and getting chilled when evening came, the fire really felt good.  It had gone back to just a few coals when I awoke before daylight, but I was able to use some small pieces of wood and coax it back to life.  One of my tasks yesterday was to clean out the ashes and sweep the fire place clean.  As I was doing it, I thought about what a messy job it is and smiled to think about one of the books I read to Analia about Cinderella and how she got her name from cleaning the ashes out of the fireplace.  One doesn’t realize how dirty a job that is until they experience it.  I have cleaned out a lot of ashes in my life but there’s something a little different about pulling them from a stove and getting down on one’s knees and crawling half way back into a deep fireplace to pull out the ashes.  No matter how careful I try to be, I feel like I am covered in soot when I am finished.  Mike apologized for the mess the fireplace makes but I really don’t mind at all.  We keep it clean, taking out the ashes each week and I clean up from carrying wood in through the house.  I am very fortunate that I have a husband who is very considerate about dirt and tracking up the house.  He has always been good to take his shoes and his dirty clothes off before walking through the house and he prevents a lot of dirt and grime from being carried in by being so conscientious about such things.  I am sure I have his mother to thank for that and I am thankful. 

I made bread yesterday.  I have been making bread once a week using the sourdough poolish that my friend sent to me.  I had some wheat berries that I had vacuum sealed years ago.  The wheat was grown and harvested on a friend’s farm and I had stocked up back when I was making a lot of bread before the grandkids were born.  I wasn’t sure if the wheat berries would still be good and had thought about throwing them out, but everyone assured me that they would keep for a long time and should be just fine.  One of the things I packed from Staunton this week and moved to Laurel Fork was my grain mill and the wheat that I had.  This time, when I made bread, I ground my own wheat.  The results were just amazing.  I was a little disappointed that the bread didn’t “look” perfect because I like to have a beautiful loaf come out of the oven.  While there was nothing wrong with it, it just wasn’t picture perfect because when I slid it into the preheated dutch oven to bake it, the loaf had risen so much and gotten so round that it barely fit.  As I slid it off the pan where I had place it for its final rise, the edge of the loaf hit the edge of the hot dutch oven and slightly marred the one side.  Also, as the bread baked, it filled up the dutch oven which caused it to take on the shape of the pot rather than keep its free form shape.  The result was a delicious loaf of bread that cosmetically just didn’t fit my desired expectations.  Not a big deal, we just sliced it right out of the oven, not giving it a proper cooling time, letting the butter melt on the warm pieces of bread and ate it. 

Yesterday afternoon, again I assisted Mike with cleaning up the yard and moving brush.  To the right of our house is an area that has grown up something terrible.  Along the edge of the yard is a grove of very old pines that I love.  This is harvestable timber but I would not agree to harvesting it because I love it so much.  Between the grove of pines and the edge of the yard someone, years ago, built a livestock fence to keep the cattle out of the yard.  A few yards over, there is evidence of another fence at one time and an old path down the steep, mountainous bank.  It appears that at one time, a pathway was created for the cattle to make their way down the bank and drink from that stream which would explain the original fence.  Over time, because of serious erosion issues exaggerated by the cattle coming frequently down the bank to get water, the previous owners no longer allowed the cattle to drink from that particular stream and let the second fence deteriorate but continued to maintain the yard fence.  Years of neglect allowed brush to grow up right next to the yard and the worst of it is the thick vines that have grown up over even a tall maple at the edge of the yard.  I am not sure of the technical name of the vines but as a kid growing up in Missouri, we referred to them as wild grape vines.  Some of the vines are as thick as my arm and they have twisted and twisted around each other and around the trees and other vegetation creating a virtual jungle.  Mike used the loader several weeks ago to start clearing out the fence and the “jungle”.  The clearing with the loader went relatively quickly but the bank is so steep that once he reached a certain point, he could no longer use the loader.  Yesterday, the work was all by hand.  It was frustrating, difficult and slow work.  There’s no way we can ever totally reclaim what has been taken over, but what has been done looks so much better and what I love the most is that there is no barrier between the yard and the pines.  I had thought at first that I could walk into the pines and then up the hill to the pasture to continue my frequent hikes, but the land is actually far to steep.  I tried walking through the pines yesterday and it was near impossible.  The deer make it look easy but at my age, I think I will leave it to the deer to climb the steep banks.  Still at the edge of the pines is a little area where I can put a picnic table and from that vantage we can look down over the house and the back yard. 

April 1, 2018

This Easter morning was perfect.  Mike and I awoke long before dawn and after I got scalloped potatoes in the crock pot and showered, we met friends from church and headed to Buffalo Mountain.  We arrived at the parking lot which takes one within a mile of the summit.  From there, we walked up the trail.  I had a small flashlight, but I believe we could have made it by the light of the moon.  Ahead of us, circling the mountain, others were already walking the trail.  People of various hiking skills made their way to the top, some needing assistance, some resting often, and others practically running ahead.  When the last straggler had reached the top, there was about 35 of us that watched the sun come up over the horizon.  It was a little cold, very windy, and cloudy but I would not trade the experience.  So many thoughts and emotions went through my head and heart regarding this climb and what it signified to me……….new beginnings, new horizons, new life, resurrection, hope, peace, love………….the thoughts swirled last night but this morning, there was just a peace that comes from putting one foot in front of the other as one makes an ascent, mind at rest, body in motion, focused on reaching the top for the views.  I thought there might be tears but once I got to the top, there were no tears, only joy.  I cried a lot of tears this past year but this morning, those tears were just that…..past. 

April 2, 2018

Here we come April!  Things won’t slow down from here until fall but I think mentally I am ready.  We will see how the old body holds up.  I feel my age every day.  I’m very fit and healthy and have no complaints for I am so blessed to be able to do all that I can do.  However, the difference between what I could do easily two or three years ago and now is telling of my aging body.  Rarely, do I have a debilitating headache, but I awoke with a slight headache yesterday morning and by the time the day was over, I was passed out on the couch by 6 pm.  I lay there for a few hours and then transferred myself to the bed, hoping it was nothing more than a headache and that I would be able to proceed as normal with the girls on Monday.  (There’ still so much sickness going around, that I was afraid I might have contracted a virus.)  This morning I awoke feeling fine and ready to start the day, the month, and move ahead with spring.  I am on the down hill stretch with child care having only about five more weeks to which I have committed.  So bittersweet for me.  I will miss keeping my babies on a regular basis, but I am ready to focus on other things.  I have dedicated just shy of five years to helping with the grands, putting things I wanted to do on the back burner.  I don’t regret a minute of it and will miss it terribly, but it is time to focus on other things now and let the kids take the bulk of the responsibility. 

The kids are all at a good place in their lives as well, Alissa getting close to graduation with her Master’s, Gabino working a good job, Mikey living an adventurous life in Thailand, and Kristin expecting another baby and being able to stay home with this one (Yes, we are going to be grandparents again!), and Nate just accepting a new job in Charlottesville, a position that utilizes his major from college for which he worked so hard and graduated this past December.   Things can change in an instant, but for this moment, everyone is well, happy and moving forward.  With the younger generation in a good place, I can take steps if and when needed to assist my grandma more and should she get to a point where she needs more intervention, we have the option of moving her in with us, something I couldn’t do when traveling back and forth assisting with the Little People.  God has blessed us to bring all of the things together that need to come together for us and allow the timing to be such that I can continue to help where needed most.  I am not naïve, I see that my focus will most likely change from the young generation to the older generation and their needs, for that is what family does.  Someday, if I am lucky, my children will follow my example and be there for Mike and I when we need it.