Monday, April 30, 2018

Monday Journals



April 25, 2018

The decision to keep my newly freshened cows separated and close to the milking parlor has always worked out well for me and prevents a lot of stress on my part.  My Jersey girls seem to know the routine and don’t mind being in for a few days.  Keeping them close gives me opportunity to check on them frequently as well as keeps them eager to come in to be milked.  When left out in the field with a newborn calf, they often don’t want to leave the calf to come in for the first few days but keeping them together, close, means most often the momma cow will simply walk right in knowing her baby is close by and safe.  Keeping them in the shelters (within a holding area with access to outdoors as well)  for a few days also keeps the babies safe from any type of predator and from accidentally slipping under a fence and getting separated from momma during the critical first few days of life.  And finally, if the cow ends up having milk fever, it means I can care for them more conveniently than out in the field somewhere.  I have several older cows now that have been around long enough to have reoccurring issues with milk fever and we can just expect it.  Promise is one of those cows.  Last year, she went down after calving and it took about a week to get her back on her feet again.  I was prepared mentally to deal with it this year and had all my supplies on hand, which is pretty much a first for me.  I usually have what I need or know where I can get it, but don’t have it gathered up and ready.  I have a feeling when we move to Laurel Fork, it will be impossible to get a bovine experienced vet that will respond in a timely manner to an emergency and I have begun to prepare myself for that fact.  I use to watch Pops, Mike’s dad, treat my cows for milk fever.  I loved that man.  Never did he tell me he was too busy when I needed him and on more than one occasion his expertise as a retired dairy farmer saved one of my animals.  Mike had watched his dad treat the cows for Milk Fever all his life but didn’t have the confidence to administer the fluids needed intravenously until we started having situations where we couldn’t get a vet out fast enough and he tried it due to my desperation.  With Promise having a history of Milk Fever, I watched her fervently on Monday.  I could see her from the kitchen window and she appeared to be ok.  I didn’t want to drag the Little Girls out every few minutes to check on her.  We did go out once because I wanted to show them the calf.  Both girls were so cute when they saw the baby.  Rory reached out with her arms and wiggled her fingers in a motion that said “come to me baby calf” as she laughed softly.  Analia kept exclaiming, “Awww…..she’s so cute, Tita.  She’s so cute.”  Promise seemed fine and we went back to play in the yard a few minutes before going inside.  I asked Gabino to come home right after he got off work at 6 knowing I needed to milk Promise.  I wasn’t wanting to have to take both girls out with me to try to milk and I knew Mike was going to be tied up at his mom’s place until late as he was planting garden, putting fertilizer on the fields, feeding cattle, and selling hay to our “regulars”.  I’m so glad that I had Gab come straight home for when I made it outside around 7 pm, I found Promise looking a little shaky.  Her ears were not completely down but she looked slightly unsteady on her feet and when I touched her ears, they were cold.  These are signs of milk fever, a condition that occurs when a newly freshened cow becomes low on calcium and their body starts shutting down on them.  Many times one does not see the condition until the cow is out flat on her side.  If it progresses to that point, it is not unusual for the cow to not be able to get up on her own for a while and sometimes, the cow even dies.  Catching Promise in the early stages gave us opportunity to act quickly and keep her from having complications.  We started with a tube of Calcium paste but she reacted with drama as a Jersey will often do and flopped herself out on her side.  At this point, Mike took a rope attached to the halter we had put on her and tied it to her rear feet, wrapping it around her ankles.  This position keeps the cow from rising and exposes the vein for the needle to be inserted to start the process of administering the fluids.  Promise didn’t fight us much even though she was still alert.  We administered two bottles of fluid and finished giving her the calcium paste orally.  She was being stubborn and didn’t want to get up when we finished but Mike got her up pretty quickly and she did fine.  I ended up not milking her on Monday evening due to her low calcium levels.  Tuesday, I watched her carefully but she seemed to be doing well.  Her appetite had returned and she was happy to eat all the hay I gave her.  She came willingly into the parlor and rather than hook up the milking machine, I just milked her by hand.  I didn’t want to take too much milk out of her udder because of her calcium issues.  I took about half a gallon of colostrum from all four teats.  It appeared the calf had sucked from all four quarters, although I can’t be certain.  A lot of calves when they are younger will pick a favorite teat and stick with that one, moving on to two teats when they get big enough to need more milk.  This leaves the other quarters prone to mastitis unless the farmer is milking the cow daily.  Since I want to share milk with the calf and not push for production as well as be able to reach a point, due to our frequent trips back and forth to Laurel Fork right now, where I can leave the cow to do all my milking for me and separate the calf for a few hours before I take milk for our personal use, it is better if the calf is nursing all four quarters.  Promise was perfect in the stanchion.  I wouldn’t expect anything any different.  (Unlike Princess who has always had attitude until she gets back into the routine.)  I took the colostrum into the house and put it in baggies in the freezer, labeling it clearly to differentiate it from the human breast milk in the freezer for the human baby.  I proceeded to keep a close eye on Promise and had Mike check her once again before bed time assuring me that all was well.   

I had tried to start supper before going out with the cows on Monday evening, but by the time I got back in the house and got it finished up, it was after nine.  Gabino had fallen asleep in the chair as had Analia and everyone who remained awake was pretty tired and irritable.  It had been a long day.  I was feeling a lot of stress about my grandmother, who had taken a serious fall on Sunday evening and had been taken to the emergency room.  The doctors determined that she was going to need a metal plate put in her ankle where she had broken it in several places.  She had to wait most of the day Monday before they took her to surgery.  When she got back from surgery she was very distraught and disoriented.  The nurses called my brother, who had been with her the night before as well as all day on Monday to see if he could get her to calm down.  She was insisting that someone had taken her away from the hospital and she didn’t know where she was.  I called her around 10 pm and tried to get her to calm down but she just kept saying that I didn’t understand and that she was in a horrible situation.  I assured her that the nurses were taking good care of her and tried to get her to rest.  I talked to her nurse a good bit before hanging up the phone and called again first thing Tuesday morning.  A different nurse was on duty and said that grandma had screamed most of the night. She had been trying to get out of bed and to take her IV’s out.   Jimmy went down first thing Tuesday morning to sit with her and she began to feel better about the situation and became more aware that she was indeed in the hospital.  The doctor came in and talked to them and said that Nan was going to have to stay off her foot for six weeks, would need therapy during that time to keep her from losing muscle in her leg, and then after six weeks would need additional therapy as she started getting back on her feet.  He said the were moving her to a nursing home for two months so that she can get the care and the help she needs.  We were fortunate to get her accepted at the nursing home where a cousin of mine works and the home is a lot nicer than the one that is closer to her home in Summerville.  She may even get a private room.  Grandma was comfortable with the plan to get her help and when asked what her goals were, she said she wanted to be able to walk again, unassisted.  The representative from the nursing home asked her about using a cane or walker and Nan told her that she had never used one before and was going to try to get well enough that she didn’t need to use one when she got out.  Nan had a much better day and after my brother left, my cousin who stays with Nan four days a week came and sat with her.  When I called Nan last night, she was mentally aware of where she was and why and was very positive about going to the nursing home and receiving rehabilitation.  Jimmy and I have plans to install some handicap railing at the house, work on the back steps to make them safer, remove any tripping hazards (like throw rugs) from her home and make it as safe as possible before she returns.  We have been working with the VA about some funding for her care and I am hoping at some point in the future we can get the assistance needed to get an additional person in to help look after her so that we can keep her at home as long as possible.  She has made it clear time and again that she wants to be at her home and we hope that we can grant her wishes as long as we can keep her in a safe environment.  Because of the nature of the injury, adult protective services is on board with us and I am thankful for that.  I know a lot of people feel threatened by their involvement but their commitment to grandma’s safety gives us more leverage with her to insist that she follow the programs designed to keep her safe.  I wrote a blog post last year encouraging folks in ways they could tactfully assist the elderly.   Having had a really bad experience with some people who thought they were helping my grandmother but ended up making things more difficult, creating a situation where secretive actions actually delayed intervention by the family, I felt some things needed to be said.  In that post, I suggested that if anyone felt an elderly person was being neglected, abused, or needed additional assistance that wouldn’t be proper for outsiders to provide, and they were unable or uncomfortable talking to the family, then they should contact adult protective services.  I stand by that even more after this incident with grandma.  It takes community to properly care for our elderly and we are blessed beyond measure that we have a supportive community of folks who care about Nan when so many elderly people do not have such.  Monday was extremely stressful as I worried about Nan and fretted that I could not hit the road and be with her at this time.  With Alissa so close to finishing up her degree, cows calving, and all we have going on in Staunton, I need to be able to stay in Virginia.  Tuesday, with Nan feeling better and understanding more about what was happening to her and with a plan in place for her best possible care, I began to feel a sense of peace and even a relief that she will be well monitored for the next two months.  I also feel relief that we can step in and do some things at the house without her there feeling like we are taking over and stepping on her toes.  By the time she gets home, it will be done, and there can be no arguing about it. 

April 26, 2018

The past couple weeks have been more stressful than any we have had in a good while.  In many ways, I have isolated myself from outside stress over the past year, content to live in a “small” world of our making.  Being someone who feels deeply the pain of others and someone who would love to be able to “right the wrongs” of the world, I finally reached a point where I just reached the point where I needed to isolate myself for a while after experiencing some things that really tore at my heart in 2016 -2017.  My intentional “tuning out” of much of what is taking place in the world on a national and global level, my nine-month hiatus from Facebook, and my streamlining my focus on those friends that are closest to me and building on those relationships as well as the relationship I have with my family has given me time for my heart to heal.  We know that things can change in a moment and we can go from feeling a peaceful, centered life to stress and chaos so quickly.  This past week feels like that for me but I am thankful that in spite of the stress, I can see so many good things that have taken place. 

This week we are needed in Staunton but we felt that we had to drive to Laurel Fork to take care of some things there and just make it a brief trip this week.  We managed to get away around 2 pm on Wednesday.  I was feeling accomplished as I answered messages, made phone calls, and took care of some business enroute.  Early on we began seeing signs about a wreck and the fact that Interstate 81 was completely shut down in the southbound lanes.  Traffic was thick and kept getting worse but Mike thought he could get one more exit and then get off 81 onto a secondary road to get around the accident.  Unfortunately, he waited one exit too many and we ended up at a standstill.  We heard something and Mike said, “What was that.”  I said, “I don’t know but it came from our car.”   Then we heard it again and about the same time smoke started coming from under the hood.  We both looked at the temperature gauge on the care and it was buried.  I was quickly and frantically telling him he needed to get off the road and turn the car off at the same time he was trying to get off the road and turn the car off.  Multiple semi-trucks were on the side of the road and we had to squeeze between a couple of them.  To our left, on the interstate, the vehicles just sat there, maybe inching forward just a bit from time to time.  Mike said, “Now what are we going to do?”  To which I responded, “I don’t know but we can’t go anywhere anyway so I guess we sit here and let the car cool down.”  Every few minutes Mike would say, “Now what are we going to do.”  I would respond, “I don’t know.  Just sit here, I guess.”  After about 15 minutes of this we decided we better try to formulate some sort of plan.  We could see the exit up above and although it wasn’t far, there was no way we could reach it.  The Interstate was blocked with traffic that wasn’t moving and we were hemmed in by the cars on the Interstate and sandwiched between two semis.  If we could manage to get out and around the semi we still couldn’t use the roadside to approach the exit because there were more semis in front of us along the route.  Mike and I discussed the fact that if we called a tow truck, it wouldn’t even be able to get to us and the fact that the traffic wasn’t going to clear for hours.  The thought of sitting there for hours just about did me in.  I had been so stressed all week and just wanted to get to Laurel Fork and my quiet home and destress for 48 hours before heading back to the rat race in Staunton.  I wanted to scream.  I wanted to cry.  Instead, I tried to think of a logical solution.  Mike mentioned the place that worked on our car after we hit the deer.  It wasn’t too far away from where we were but by now, we were within an hour of closing time and we had no clue how we could get our car to them.  Mike said, “Call them.”  I wanted to snap at him and say, “You call them!” because I had no clue what to do once I got them on the phone.  They couldn’t help us get the car off the side of the interstate and I doubted they would fit us in even if we were able to get the car to them.  And what was I supposed to say, “Hey, I’m stuck on the interstate and need you to fix my car but there’s no way I can get my car to you or you can get to my car.”  I didn’t snap at Mike even though I was really unhappy about being put in the position to call them.  When I called and talked to Kevin, he was super nice and said if we could find a way to get the car to him, he would see what he could do.  We knew the fans were not running and this was why the car was overheating.  He suggested if we could get the car cooled down and then keep it moving, it would probably make it.  So, now we had a plan, but we were not sure how to implement the plan.  The car cooled, the traffic was moving slowly, so we crossed our fingers, said a prayer and got back on the interstate.  We moved a few feet and then everyone stopped.  The car started heating up and I started telling Mike to turn off the car but he was already doing that.  Then, a we sat there in the unmoving traffic, a semi came creeping up beside us along the right side, blocking us from being able to get off the road.  This is when I started freaking and saying “No, no, no.  Don’t park there.  We can’t get off the interstate now.”  So there we sat completely blocked in.  As we sat and I stewed, a DOT truck came up behind us and started going from truck to truck and telling the drivers sitting along side of the road that they needed to merge back into the traffic and get off the side of the road and leave it open for emergency vehicles.  I stopped the DOT personnel and told him of our difficulties so that he would know why we were getting off the road when the opportunity to do so arose.  He was nice and told us that there had been two people killed and two with life threatening injuries in an accident earlier that had caused the back up.  He wished us luck.  I thought the truck beside us might try to get back on to the interstate and that would give us opportunity to move over to the side of the road and make a run for the nearest exit which was within site.  However, after DOT left, the driver simply went back to whatever he had been doing before DOT arrived.  We sate there long enough that the car cooled back down.  Finally, the traffic started moving again and we slowly inched toward the exit.  I wish I could say that our struggles ended there but they didn’t.  At this point, it looked like we would barely make it to the repair shop before they closed and that was only if we could navigate the congestion on the side roads.  I called Kevin back at the repair shop and explained the situation.  He said to just keep him updated and if we weren’t going to make it, call him back and he would wait for us.  We weren’t sure how to get to the shop from the exit and when I entered the address into my phone, I was shown a series of turns on a lot of side roads.  By this point, things were getting thick on the side roads but we were moving right along when suddenly in front of us a semi tried to make a right hand turn onto a small road and couldn’t make the turn.  Everyone had to stop.  We sat and watched the driver pull the truck forward, then back it up, then pull it forward and back it up.  With each move the truck got into an even worse predicament.  I sat there with eyes glued to the truck and saying out loud, “I don’t believe this.  I don’t believe this.  This is the craziest thing I have ever seen in my life.  How can this be happening?  He’s blocking two roads now and no one can go anywhere or do anything about it.”  I peeled my eyes away when I heard Mike say “The car is heating up again.”  So, Mike turned the car off and we sat there.  Finally, after a few minutes we turned the car on, backed into the drive to our right, turned around and headed in a different direction.  The GPS on my phone rerouted and we began turning on one road and then another.  Mike told me to call Kevin back.  When Kevin answered, I told him I couldn’t even begin to explain the difficulty we were having getting to him.  He very kindly told me not to worry that he would wait as long as needed and take care of us.  Relieved, I disconnected from the call and switched back to the GPS only to realize it was taking us back around from the top side to the same spot where the semi-truck was stuck in the road.  I voiced my concerns quickly and frantically because Mike was driving as fast as he could on these side roads with traffic to try to keep the engine cooled.  “Mike, we are headed right back to the same spot where the truck is stuck in the road blocking traffic.  I don’t know that we will be able to get through.”  Mike responded with something, I’m not sure what but it wasn’t very positive and we came over a hill and there sat the traffic backed up at the stop sign because they couldn’t get past the semi to proceed.  However, if we drove on the opposite side of the road and passed the cars sitting at the stop sign and made a left, we could keep going which is exactly what we did.  We had taken ten minutes to circle around and end up right back where we had been when the semi blocked the road but it had been completely impossible to pass it from the other side.  I breathed a sigh of relief as things began to thin out and we were able to keep speed and the car stayed cool.  Those few seconds of relief ended quickly because we were coming up to a stop light and traffic was backed up in every direction.  Again, we sat and the car started heating up.  “Turn it off”, I demanded.  Poor Mike.  I am glad he was patient with all my outbursts.  It wasn’t like he didn’t know to turn the car off.  Turning the car off and on we made it down to the light finally but merging onto the next street proved challenging and the cars were backed up pretty much all the way to the next light.  Thus, we made our way slowly and stressfully the last three miles until we got to the repair shop.  Kevin was there and took our car right back to have a technician look at it.  A lady inside offered us bottled water and we sat and waited.  It wasn’t too long, maybe 20 minutes and Kevin returned telling Mike that a fuse had blown and they had replaced the fuse and there would be no charge for the fuse or their time involved even though they stayed after hours and waited on us to get to the shop.  I told Kevin he got the award of the day for being such a great guy and he smiled.  I was so incredibly thankful for this act of kindness on such a crazy and stressful day.  Had he not been so gracious, we would have probably had to rent a car in order to finish our trip.  Getting back on the road was less stressful in that we didn’t have to worry about our car overheating but the traffic was still heavy and driving was difficult.  Instead of getting back on Interstate 81 which was still a nightmare, we took Highway 11 for a good many miles.  While better than 81, it was still very congested making for slow travel.  We finally got home to Laurel Fork six hours after we had started our trip.  I was so very happy to pull into our driveway that I could have kissed the dirt!  

April 27, 2018

I think the stress of the previous days with worry over grandma, watching the kids for long hours, dealing with a cow with the early stages of milk fever, and then the horrible drive back to Laurel Fork left me beyond exhausted and even though I had a good bit of sleep Wednesday night, I woke up feeling still tired Thursday morning and really not wanting to do anything but hide away from the world and rest for a few days.  We are not going to get the luxury of “a few days” on this trip because we actually have to head back to Staunton not quite 48 hours after arriving.  I decided not to push myself too hard.  I had some laundry to do, baked a pie, and made sourdough biscuits.  I also assisted Mike for a couple hours with building fence.  Mid-day, I got a text from my brother who had updates and some things we needed to discuss about grandma’s care so I had to drive up the road about a mile and a half to where I could get reliable cell phone service to take the call.  I spent a good bit of time on the phone with him and then made some additional phone calls before heading back to the house. 

I wish I could say that things were peaceful as always at our place in Laurel Fork but that wasn’t the case.  There is a curve with a bank to one side that is close to the road on one side of it just past our house.  On the other side of the road is where two streams come together on our property forming Roades Creek which runs into Laurel Fork Creek.  The state decided to widen the road just a little bit right there by taking down some of that bank.  At 7 am the private contractors arrived and not long after, DOT showed up.  The heavy equipment they brought to do the job was extremely loud in this holler.  The loader type piece of equipment was huge with a bucket on one end, but they soon dropped the bucket and resorted to some sort of piece that attached where the bucket would be that would drill down into the rocky bank and bust of the stone as they pulled down the dirt.  I knew I would cry if I thought about it.  They had already cut down some trees and now they were pounding and pulling away the dirt, changing the landscape and breaking my silence.  I just had to put it out of my mind.  The flag man spent all day standing at the end of our driveway directing traffic.  Being the introvert that I am and feeling especially reclusive, I refused to even walk to the mail box because I didn’t want to have to speak to anyone.  They worked until after 5 pm.  Mike and I were behind our house working on fence and the silence was enveloping once they left.  Earlier in the day, above the noise of all the equipment, I could hear “our” pair of geese across the road at the pond screaming at the top of their lungs.  I totally understood the instinct to scream disapproval at the disturbance to “our” little utopia.  “My” turkeys hid all day from the racket and I never saw a deer.  Even the birds at the feeders seemed scarce.  My entertainment for the day came from a Barred Rock hen that had escaped from the flock.  All day long she scratched in the yard, talking sweetly to us but when we would get within arm’s length of catching her, she would step a little faster and get away.  Talk, talk, talk….she spoke her feathered language and calmly engaged us as we built fence, watching us with interest.  We spoke back in soothing tones and laughed at her antics.  She would walk away for a while and we wouldn’t know where she went exactly and then she would circle back around checking on us.  As dusk came, we didn’t see her and thought perhaps she had roosted on some low branches where we could catch her or maybe that she had gone inside the barn.  However, she had decided to go into the “basement” of the 1950’s chicken house and roost on top of the wood we had stacked there to dry out for next winter.  Mike picked her up with no problem and she sat calmly in his arms while he stroked her and talked to her.  As soon as we put her in the house with the rest of the birds, she ran to the nesting boxes and started fluffing up the straw to lay an egg.  I laughed and told Mike that I guess she held it in all day waiting until she could lay it in a familiar setting. 

(Resumed writing at 5 pm)

And here we are back on Interstate 81 and the traffic again is horrendous.  My stomach is in knots.  I have been feeling a tightness in it since yesterday and made an emergency trip to the bathroom before we left home.  It’s probably nothing but nerves as I have been on edge all week and have not had enough time to really calm down before we head back north.  I finally told Mike that was going to look at my computer screen and write rather than watch us slam on the brakes and stop inches from the car in front of us time and time again.  The traffic is worse this week than I have seen it in the past year that we have been driving the roads weekly.  I am thankful that soon we won’t have to do this as much. 

I cleaned the chicken house out today, cleaned the waterers and feeders, cleaned the floor, we repaired a couple of screens that were torn and I talked to the hens and told them I would be back in a few days.  They responded with pleasant noises happy with the treats I had brought them from the kitchen.  We eat all the leftovers we can and then the chickens get the rest.  They are thrilled with the scraps.  I cleaned all the bird feeders and refilled them as well.  I had hung a hummingbird feeder and I am hoping they find it before we get back next week.  I did see my first hummingbird for the year (in the mountains) today.  He had found the “Fire Bush” (as my grandma calls it) and was sucking nectar from the red flowers.  I am always so thrilled to see the hummingbirds with their fast wings and beautiful colors.  While I was working outside a technician from Century Link (the telephone company) stopped by.  I had put in a request for a visit due to a line that went down in our yard well over a month ago in one of the storms.  He said that he had put in for a work order to be issued about three weeks ago regarding that line and he still did not have permission to repair it.  Welcome to rural Virginia.  I have to smile.  I am learning.  If you don’t do it yourself, it just won’t get done.  One way or another the line will be off our lawn eventually.  Speaking of getting things done, the contractor who was supposed to put our barn roof on back in January and who we contacted multiple times with no commitment from him as to if the job would be completed and when called today to say he was ready to put the roof on the barn.  Mike politely told him that it had been so long and he wasn’t sure if the job was going to get done, so we had found someone else.  The man told him he had done the right thing.  I think he was relieved he didn’t have to do it.  Mike said as soon as we got it done, someone would call back and say they were ready to help.  I laughed because he was right. 

I’ve been in thinking, in general, about some of the books I read as a teenager that influenced my life so much.  A book I had not given much thought since my early high school days is On Walden Pond by Hendry David Thoreau.  I remember just devouring that book and even at such a young age feeling the desire to isolate myself from the world and have the chance to absorb my natural surroundings.  I knew from a very young age that I wanted to live in Alaska and that I wanted to try my hand at homesteading.  I was able to experience many of the things I dreamed of experiencing although I never quite took it to the level I thought I would.  At one point, my ex husband and I had bought some property that was only accessible by boat in the summer and snow machine in the winter.  We talked about building a cabin and living there.  While it had always been a dream of mine to completely isolate myself from society and try my hand at living entirely off the land, I got cold feet when it came down to it.  I had two very small children and while I might have done it if the decision involved only adults, I could not bring myself to take my children into a situation where I didn’t have immediate access to medical help if I needed it.  I do wish that I had been able to follow those dreams but I am not sorry at all for the decision I made to not take my children into the Alaskan wilderness alone.  Thoreau himself was not that far from civilization.  In fact, he could easily walk back to town any time he so desired, so maybe Laurel Fork is my “Walden Pond”,  a place to be close to nature, not isolated but further from the bustle, and time of personal reflection.  It has been that for me this past year. 

10 pm

We made it back to Staunton and as is often the case, Mike just hurries to unload the car and then rushes down to the other farm.  This evening he had steers to pen up so that he can get them loaded and to the processor early in the morning.  I held Rory for a few minutes and looked at books with her when I first go home and then I headed outside to check on the cows.  Promise had calved this past Sunday and Shar calved on Thursday.  I had not seen Shar’s calf yet except in the pictures that Gabino had sent to me.  Analia asked me if she could help me milk and I told her she could if she would listen very carefully to me.  She brought her hearing protection (she hates loud noises) and I had her stay outside the gate until I had each cow securely in the stanchion.  Then, I let Analia come in and watch me milk.  She started doing this last year some and really enjoyed it.  She couldn’t wait for me to start milking again this season.  After milking, I had a good bit of clean up in the holding area where we were keeping the two momma cows and their calves.  With a lot of rain the previous night things were pretty messy.  I shoveled manure, gave the cows more hay, and refreshed their loose minerals.  The calves were content and happy lying in the shelter, both of them getting sleepy as night fell.  The moon was big and bright in the sky as the sun went down and Analia having gone back to the house, I took a walk through the pasture to check on the other cows.  When they saw me, they all came running.  They got their heads scratched and I checked out their udders trying to determine who would be the next to calve.  Actually, it didn’t look like any of them were close.  I am guessing the are still several weeks away.  If I had to guess, I would say Princess will be the next one to calve.  She might be slightly uddering up at this point. 

I saved some of the colostrum and labeled it for the freezer.  The rest, I put in gallon jars to clabber and I will take it to Laurel Fork for my chickens. 

April 29, 2018

Yesterday began with the jolt of another mini crisis.  I was sleeping soundly and my phone rang.  I knew immediately it as Mike and that there was something wrong with the cows.  I stumbled across the room where the phone was on the charger, answered with a hello that was both frantic and sleepy and heard Mike say, “Get the stuff together and get down here.”  Promise had milk fever and was actually out on her side on the ground this time, in almost the same spot as she went down last year when she calved.  The difference being, we found her sooner and her head wasn’t thrown through the board fence, a fact which had almost killed her last year.  I quickly began running some hot water while I got dressed so that the CMPK would be body temperature when we administered it.  I quickly gathered up the tubing, needle, threw my clothes on and grabbed what we needed.  When I got there, Mike had her head tied back so the vein was exposed.  One must secure the cow in such a manner to keep her from thrashing.  Milk fever leaves an animal unable to control their muscles and they do a lot of “flopping” around when you are trying to take care of them in this condition.  Tying them in this manner makes it safe for the cow and the farmer.  She was more dehydrated and in a worse predicament than the other day when we treated her.  Mike was worried he wouldn’t be able to find a vein.  It was a little more difficult for him but he did get it without too long of a delay and we put two bottles of CMPK in the vein and administered a tube of calcium orally.  The ordeal had made Mike late to get his steers to the processor, but I was glad he was there to help me immediately.  The longer one waits, the harder it is to get the cow back on their feet again.  Sometimes, when we call a vet, it can take hours for them to get there and quick response is key.  She did not get right up and I stayed outside with her so I could be close and make sure she didn’t get herself in a bad position.  It is important they remain sitting up and not flop out on their sides which they tend to do.  I put some saw dust around her to give her some traction as well as dry up the moisture around her.  Then I went close by to work on cleaning out the horse shelter while I kept an eye on her.  The heavy rains and mud had made a mess in the shelter for our mini horses and they manure was saturated and heavy to move.  I once thought I would hire a young man to help me move some of the manure and clean the shelters one spring.  Being the type of person that I am, I never ask anyone to do “the dirty work” without being willing to do it myself.  I gave him a shovel and a pitch fork and had one for myself.  I literally worked twice as fast as him, doing twice the work load.  When he complained that he couldn’t do a particular shelter because of bees (he was allergic) I just told him to go home and I thanked him for his time and paid him, never asking anyone to help me again.  I am not fast and I am not that strong but as long as I can do the work myself, I will continue to do it.  Mike does help me with this task on occasion, especially if things have gotten really built up over a long winter season, but mostly I figure they are my cows and horses and I need to do the work. Yesterday, I was wondering at the wisdom in this as I shoveled that heavy manure mixed with mud that had washed in from the heavy rains but nothing makes me feel more accomplished than seeing a clean shelter at the end of all the hard work.  And as a secondary benefit, I am beginning to see my body respond to all the physical labor I have been doing in the last month.  I determined a while back that I was done with bathroom scales, any type of diets, obsessing about food or size and weight and that I would no longer measure my steps or count the miles that I walk.  I decided that those things kept me from enjoying life to the fullest.  There is something really satisfying however in just getting out, working hard, and feeling stronger because of it.  Before my gallbladder surgery, I was probably in the best physical shape of my life, was able to work long hours, had a lot of muscle, strength and endurance.  During the last year and a half since that surgery that has changed a lot for me as I have not done a lot of the daily activities I have done for years that kept me in such good shape.  Now as I walk the steep terrain in the mountains, help to build fence, drag brush to the burn pile, carry in fire wood, muck the stalls, carry the milk bucket with milk, and get back into some of the more strenuous, routine activities I can feel my body responding….screaming at times that it would rather go back to bed and read a book in front of the fireplace…..but getting stronger and healthier with each day.  A natural response to hard work rather than trips to the gym or work out plan implemented at home to try to force my body into a certain size or shape, I feel really good about being this active again and building strength and endurance that I had lost.  There’s no goal out in front of me for a certain size or weight or look.  I simply want to be healthy.

After allowing Promise to rest for a while, I walked close to her, looked in her face and said earnestly, “Get up Promise.  Come on girl.”  I was overjoyed when she stood up, just like that!  The longer a cow stays down after having milk fever, the harder it is to get her up and often times it requires lifting the cow with a tractor and hip lift.  My fear was that she would not be strong enough to rise but at the sound of my voice, knowing what I wanted, she stood up.  I began to praise her, got her some fresh hay, and gave thanks for my blessings.  I continued to work outside, cleaning up after a winter spent on the road leaving the care of the cows to Gab and Alissa.  Their schedules are so busy that I couldn’t expect them to do anything other than feed and water the cows and see to their basic needs.  A winter’s worth of neglect can be a challenging task.  We also had thought that I would not be calving and milking here this year.  I had originally intended to try to move the cows either before they got close to calving or immediately afterwards.  Since we are not ready for animals yet in Laurel Fork, I have been working the last month to try to get things ready in Staunton for the new calves.  I am thankful I had the calcium and dextrose on hand and a new needle.  I am also glad that I had the milking machine serviced.  I walked  a small field that we have closed off yesterday picking up trash the wind had blown in and checking for spots the calves could escape.  That lot has always been a problem with newborns because the fence is high and they slide under it.  Many times I have hunted frantically for a calf that was lost in the woods only to find it hiding quietly from me after a long search.  The newborn instinct is to lie quietly hidden so that they are safe from predators.  That can make finding them difficult at times.  Not wanting to risk the same scenario, I asked Mike if he would put electric netting on the inside of that fence to keep the calves from slipping through.  He got that set up for me and I turned the momma cows out in that lot for the first time since they calved.  I usually only keep them in the dry lot/shelter area for two or three days but with Promise needing close supervision, I kept her in a while longer.  Momma cows and calves were eager to be out on the grass.  The little calves found their legs and ran as quickly as they could around the field.  There’s a peace that comes over me at times like this and a thankfulness that is hard to explain.  After a dozen years of cows and calves, every birth being celebrated, every loss being mourned, my heart and soul are intertwined with the history of these beautiful creatures that I have been blessed to manage.  There have been sleepless nights and long days I thought I would never get through. I have probably stressed far too much and worked way to hard to keep them.  Lord knows I’ve spent more money than I should have, kept the old, barren, or milk fever prone cows too long.  When I walk through the fields and see my cows, I don’t just see the cows I currently own, but I also see their mothers, and grandmothers in my memories. 

We have had no more issues with Promise since we treated her the second time for milk fever but I also have not milked her.  I am simply letting her calf nurse at this point.  I brought her into the stanchion this evening and stripped each quarter just a tiny bit to check for any signs of mastitis.  As long as her milk continues to be mastitis free, I will just let her nurse her baby and not put her under the stress of producing milk for the family.  I have been milking Shar once a day.  It has been years since she has been milked on a regular basis, but I am hoping that we can get her clear of colostrum and the blood from the broken capillaries in her udder (a very common occurrence after freshening).  I am so desperate for some real milk and Shar has delicious milk. 

April 30, 2018

I can’t believe another month is over and we are now well into spring, although the weather has not cooperated completely.  We are still getting some freezing temps at night from time to time in the Valley and most definitely in the mountains.  Mike has planted some of the garden.  It feels strange to him to be planting just for our immediate family but after taking a year off, I think he is more resigned to the fact and even glad that we don’t have the extra work. Of course, he will always miss growing produce in such large quantities and selling it.  He got such a joy out of providing it to the public.  I foresee him “piddling” with some produce sales in the future when things settle down but we will never be full scale again. 

We have two healthy, heifer calves and I believe Promise will be fine as long as I just let her be momma to her baby and don’t try to milk her.  Hopefully, we are past the crisis with her, although I foresee the same scenario when Princess calves, so we need to be ready to do this again. 

I’m starting to actually get down to where I am working on the “behind the scenes” packing of things that have been stored away.  With each trip we make south, I take another load after I have sorted and trashed, given away, or sold the items we don’t need.  It makes me feel good to consolidate and organize things.  I spent several hours on Saturday sorting through the “smalls” as the antique dealers refer to them.  These are items that take a good bit of time to price individually and typically don’t bring much money at resale but will be picked up by people looking to spend just a few dollars.  I had boxes of “smalls” that I had not taken the time to sort and price.  I had them stored in my milk kitchen and I was able to at least make a path through the milk kitchen after Saturday’s work.  We had found a good many vintage apple crates and I took those to the Factory Antique Mall and used them for shelving.  We had sold a rather large bench which left some space I needed to fill.  I worked at both malls over the weekend spot checking and picking up where things had been moved, putting a few new small items at both places. 

Sunday was a family day.  It is rare we are in Staunton for the weekend and this weekend was filled with family with the birthday party for our niece on Saturday and then all of our immediate family taking advantage of Mikey and Marisa’s visit and getting together for the afternoon.  It’s good to have everyone in one place.  Alissa is frantically trying to finish papers and get everything complete on her Master’s before she graduates on Thursday.  I think the Little Girls feel her stress and the baby especially has been pretty fussy.  Analia had so much fun at the birthday party that she hid when it was time to go and no one could find her, giving everyone a real scare.  I had already left and didn’t find out about it until later.  I would have been have been in panic mode had I been there.  Nate (Kristin’s husband) is working hard to learn the new things he needs to know at his new job in Charlottesville and has a long commute.  Gabino (Alissa’s husband) works hard at Target, twelve hour days, over the weekend and on Monday.  He has watched the girls every Wednesday during the day while Alissa teaches at Blue Ridge.  The twins, along with Analia are gearing up for kindergarten in the fall. Hudson loves bugs and when outside like he was over the weekend, spends a lot of his time off by himself hunting for bugs, ants, and spiders.  Ella is full of life, talks “a mile a minute” and loves to color and write.  We are all excited about the new baby that will be here in August.  Kristin looks adorable as baby grows and expands her tummy.  She is one of those women who can pull of being pregnant and be as beautiful as ever while doing it. 

From Sunday to Sunday this past week has been a series of stresses with my grandma’s injury, the traffic we had to maneuver on the interstate, the mechanical problems with the car, and the multiple incidents of milk fever with the cow but it has also provided opportunity for us to be together more than usual as family as we make memories that our Little People will carry with them into the future.  I sat holding Rory last night, who had been inconsolable for hours and rocked her back and forth and sang “Bye O Baby, Baby bye.  Bye O Baby, Baby bye” to the tune of the old hymn “Rock of Ages”.  I am sure it probably sounds quite strange to someone who might happen upon us and hear me singing but it is what my Granny Durham used to sing to the babies as she held them on her lap and rocked back and forth.  I have sung it so much to Rory with memories of Granny in my mind’s eye that she knows it too.  She sang along with me “Bye Baby.  Bye Baby” is how she sings it, her little voice rising in volume as we rocked.  I held tightly to my roots and my future as I heard my grandmother’s voice in my head and my granddaughter’s voice in my ear, bringing together pieces of my life and glimpse of the full circle.