Friday, July 15, 2022

FOGGY MOUNTAIN BREAKDOWN and OTHER STORIES by Sharyn McCrumb ~ A Book Review




 Sharyn McCrumb is highly regarded as an expert storyteller and regional author whose audience is far-reaching.   Having never previously read any of her works, I decided to start with a short story collection.  The audiobook version of FOGGY MOUNTAIN BREAKDOWN and OTHER STORIES is expertly performed by a variety of narrators and has a cinematic quality to it.  The stories range from whimsical to mysterious.  I particularly enjoyed the last story in which Ms. McCrumb employs a series of letters between an author and one of her ardent fans who will do anything to keep his favorite author writing the crime novels he so greatly enjoys.  This particular story ends with a great plot twist.  (The fact that I saw it coming did not diminish my admiration for Sharyn McCrumb's writing skills!)  


If the reader enjoys short story collections, they will find something in this collection to enjoy. 


I have given this book four stars on Goodreads.  I borrowed this audiobook through Libby.