Saturday, March 20, 2010

Bread and Butter


Recently I have become very excited about grinding my own wheat to make my bread. A friend offered to grind some different types of wheat for me so that I could try them before I committed to buying my own mill. Let's just say that I was not disappointed at all! The taste, texture, and quality of the bread was unbelievable. I am now on a mission to find the perfect grain mill for our family. Even my husband who is not crazy about whole wheat bread was delighted with the bread made from the freshly ground wheat. (I caught him in the kitchen late at night smearing generous portions of butter on "chunks" of homemade bread!)

We just happened to be having a little get-together the week that I was given the freshly ground flour. This gave me the opportunity to experiment and I used two different types of wheat (hard red wheat and soft red wheat) to make some "baby" loaves of bread for our guests. Because I wanted something a little more fancy to go along with the bread than just plain butter, I made a fruit butter. I did this by allowing the butter to soften and then whipping in some homemade sour cherry jam. I then reshaped the butter and refrigerated it long enough to give it form but still allow it to be soft for spreading. The combination was both appealing and appetizing.