Search This Blog

Friday, September 23, 2011

Cushaw Sweet Bread and Cushaw Custard Recipes

I last posted information on the whimsical Cushaw, a veggie that is as fun to look at as it is to eat!  This post I wanted to share with you the recipes I used to make a sweet bread from the Cushaw as well as an excellent custard recipe. 

Pumpkin Wheat Honey Muffins from allrecipes.com was fairly adaptable to the use of the cushaw in place of the pumpkin.  Most recipes the cushaw can be substituted for pumpkin.  I did find this recipe to need some additional flour.  I doubled the recipe and made a pan of muffins but they were not stiff enough.  I then added some flour to the remaining mixture and the mini loaves of cushaw bread I baked turned out very nice.  So, my point is that you may have to adjust this recipe a bit.  I have not tweaked it. 

Pumpkin (Cushaw) Wheat Honey Muffins

Ingredients


1/2 cup raisins

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour

1/2 cup packed brown sugar

1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

3/4 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 eggs

3/4 cup canned pumpkin puree

1/2 cup vegetable oil

1/2 cup honey

1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Directions

1.Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 12 cup muffin pan, or line with paper liners. Place the raisins in a cup, and add enough hot water to cover. Let stand for a few minutes to plump.

2.In a large bowl, stir together the whole wheat flour, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Make a well in the center, and put in eggs, pumpkin, oil and honey. Mix just until the dry ingredients are absorbed. Drain excess water from raisins, and stir in along with the walnuts. Spoon into muffin cups so they are about 2/3 full.

3.Bake for 18 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool in the pan before removing from cups.

Nutritional Information

Amount Per Serving Calories: 263
Total Fat: 13g
Cholesterol: 35mg Powered by ESHA Nutrient Database




I was very excited to find the next recipe.  It originally came from Nourished Kitchens and includes fresh, from the farm ingredients.  What a thrill to have it turn out perfectly for me.  Mike and I ate it all practically in one sitting.  What was left over, I ate for breakfast the next morning!

From Food Renegade here is the recipe:

Pumpkin (cushaw or other winter squash) Custard Recipe 


•the puree of 1 pie pumpkin, about 2 cups
•9 pastured egg yolks, beaten
•2 cups of heavy cream (preferably from grass-fed cows)
•1/2 cup sucanat or rapadura (naturally evaporated cane sugar)
•1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
•1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
•1 tsp vanilla extract
•dash of sea salt


The How-To

1. Preheat oven to 350F.

2. Whisk all the ingredients together until creamy.

3. Heat pumpkin mixture over a double-boiler (or make do with a glass bowl over a sauce pan containing 2 inches of boiling water) and stir continuously until thick enough to coat a wooden spoon.

4. Pour into a baking dish and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes up clean. Serve hot!  (Note: I like to eat it cold!)

I did not have a double boiler so here is my "redneck version" of a double boiler.  It worked great!




The only change I made in the recipe was because I do not have plastic handles on the pot I was using, I set the whole thing in the oven.  I remember my grandmother making custard and putting the dish inside another dish and pouring boiling water all around it.  This was my version, straight from the stove top to the oven. 

The final product looked like this:









ENJOY!!!!

Be sure to let me know if you try these recipes!

No comments: