Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Preserving Peppers (Reviewed and Updated October 5, 2022)




Yes, you can freeze the peppers that have abundantly produced in your summer garden!

Did you know that freezing peppers is so simple that it's not even necessary to blanch them first?  

Cut your bell peppers in rings or strips and put them in a large ziplock bag.  You can later pull out just what you need.  Or, make smaller packages of just the right amount for your recipes.  Perhaps you have the option to vacuum seal them.  I have found the vacuum-sealed peppers will last for several years in the freezer and still remain fresh.  

If you are going to make stuffed peppers, then it's a good idea to blanch the seeded, whole peppers first before freezing.  This helps the whole peppers cook faster and be easier to eat when you use them later for meals.  Blanch for three minutes.  Dip them in cold water to cool. Let the peppers drain dry, and then lay out flat on a tray and pre-freeze for an hour or two before transferring them to a Ziploc freezer bag.   (This will keep the Sweet Bells from sticking together in the freezer and you can pull them out in any quantity as needed.)  

I take the tops off my pimento peppers and remove the seeds but freeze them unblanched and whole in a large, gallon-sized Ziplock bag.  I can remove one pepper at a time for grating and using in my fresh pimento cheese.    

I also like to freeze jalapeno peppers.  I simply wash them and throw the into a freezer bag.  (I first allow them to drain and dry so they don't stick together.)  I can pull as many out as needed and ad to dishes or use them to make jalapeno poppers.  You can seed them before freezing but I have found that the frozen peppers are easier to remove the seeds.  The frozen mass of seeds pops right out and makes less mess.    (Make sure you wear gloves when you seed hot peppers and don't touch your face or eyes!)

Other methods of preservation for peppers include pickling and dehydrating.  When I dehydrate bell peppers, I like to seed them and slice them into pretty rings.  I then place them in the dehydrator until they have dried thoroughly.  I think dehydrated bell pepper rings are pretty stored in vintage glass jars.  The dehydrated peppers are great in soups, meatloaf, and even rehydrated and put on pizzas.

Peppers are expensive in the grocery store, and especially out of season.  It just makes good sense to take the abundant harvest of summer and store it up for a later time.  

Need a recipe for using some of your peppers?  Here's one from a previous blog entry.  Or, you might like to try using the peppers to make this delicious PepperJack Cheese.