Whole Milk Ricotta Cheese/ Queso Blanco








Recipe makes about four cups of cheese.

Ingredients:

One gallon of milk (whole or skim)
1/2 cup vinegar (white or apple cider)

~In large pot,heat the milk until foam forms around the edges and the milk is steaming, almost to boiling. (If you don't heat the milk sufficiently, the curds will wad up and resemble mozzarella.)

~Remove from heat, pour in the vinegar and stir until the curds separate from the whey.

~Drain curds in a colander.

~You may use the curds as they are, whip them in a blender to make them smooth (adding a little of the whey back to get the right consistency), or shape into a ball to serve as table cheese.

~I like to salt my curds. Ricotta also freezes well. You can add herbs/spices to your liking to make a nice cracker spread from the Ricotta cheese.

Edited 4/24/2010: It recently came to my attention that in spite of the fact that this recipe was listed as "Whole Milk Ricotta" and that I have been calling it Ricotta for over a year now, it is actually Queso Blanco. I have also read where folks use lemon juice instead of vinegar to make this cheese.

Additional Information

Comments

Diane said…
Well, if you find duplicate comments...I'm not sure what happened but my computer ate the first one. I'll try again...

Thanks for such good info Tammy. Now I know what to do with the abundance of milk I'll have very soon. I love your tutorials!!! I hope Cheddar and Mozzarella are on the way!

Stay warm!!!
Corinne said…
This seems so simple to make! It is so expensive to buy in the grocery store..... it would make a lovely cheese spread!

I'm with Diane.... I can't wait for the cheddar and mozzarella!
Actually, I do make Mozz. and will take pictures and post the recipe the next time I make it.
Donna said…
Ok, this is very interesting! I have been making this for months now, thinking it was just cottage cheese! Everyone loves eating it, including the chickens and the dog! This is how I "used to" use up my extra milk because it was so easy to make.

Popular Posts