Soda Crackers from Scratch





Inspired by my blogging friend Jo over at 14 Acres Blog Spot when she posted a recipe for homemade crackers, I determined that when I got the time I was going to try as well. I forgot about it for a few days and then was looking through an old book I own and found a recipe for Soda Crackers using clabbered milk. Awesome! Now I was sure that making homemade crackers must be my fate. I have posted Ms. Firth's recipe below and since I can never make a recipe without "tweaking" it, I have put my own thoughts and changes in parenthesis.)

Soda Crackers from the book Stillroom Cookery by Grace Firth

Preparation time about one hour. Makes about one pound.

Mix 3 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 Tablespoon oil (I used one Tablespoon of melted butter)
1 cup clabber (The flour was still to thick and would not mix, so I added a little milk to get the flour to a kneadable consistency.)

Mix thoroughly. Divide into two parts. Roll out thin on a floured surface. Transfer to a greased cookie tin. Salt if desired by brushing with milk and salting with a shaker. (I brushed with butter and then salted.) Prick all over with a fork. Cut with a pizza cutter into desired size. Bake at 350 degrees for eight minutes or until done. (It took my crackers longer than eight minutes to bake. I am sure it depends on how thin you make them.)

I divided my dough into three different groups and made plain salted crackers, Parmesan crackers (by sprinkling the Parmesan directly on the crackers before baking, and garlic/onion crackers. I just sprinkled garlic and onion powder on the crackers before baking but I think it would have been better if I had put the garlic and onion powder in the butter and then brushed them. All three flavors turned out delicious. I think this recipe could be so versatile. One could make whole wheat crackers and crackers with a wide range of different flavors depending on what herbs and spices are used.

One final observation: I cooked two pans of crackers at the same time. The pan on the top rack of the oven got very crispy and have the texture of a store bought cracker. The crackers on the bottom rack are softer and "chewy" instead of "crunchy". Both textures are very good, depending on one's individual taste and preference.

Comments

Yummy!! I am definitely going to try the whole wheat and flavored crackers.
My husband sent me to your blog to check out your butter making! Thanks! And now I'm so excited about these crackers! I've been wanting to make some and now I can! I can tell I'll be spending way too much time hanging out here!
Linda in GA
Anonymous said…
Okay Tammy, seriously considering blocking your blog! Evey time I look at it you've done something that is so simple and yet so effective. Here you go again, making crackers and from clabber no less! I think you are truly inspirational on so many levels (although you probably would be too humble to agree). Thankyou again for sharing this recipe... I'll give a burl... eventually!
Bye for now,
Heidi
Deb said…
Hmmm another reason to learn to make clabbor. I've made crackers before, but not soda crackers, sounds really good! :)
Jessika said…
I'm inspired to make homemade crackers too! We're having an " adults only " party next weekend. I think i'll make these to go with my cheeses!