Grandma Starnes' Rolls~A Holiday Tradition




We don't normally eat a lot of bread but almost every major holiday I make hot rolls from my great grandma Starnes' recipe. Josh LOVED these rolls!

I will post the recipe as it was given to me and in parenthesis I will add some variations:

Grandma Starnes Hot Rolls

1/4 cup warm water
1 tsp sugar (honey)
1 tablespoon of dry yeast

Mix together and let sit until yeast is bubbly.

3 Tablespoons Sugar (honey)
2 Tablespoons shortnening (butter)
1 tsp salt
1 Cup boiling water (warm milk)

Let cool to luke warm. Add one beaten egg then yeast mixture. Add flour until a soft dough forms (3-4 cups approximately). I usually use white flour on holidays but have used this same recipe to make whole wheat rolls as well.

This dough can be refrigerated and you can pinch off what you need each time.

Comments

Theresa said…
I am making pull apart rolls for Thanksgiving too. I like your recipe.... Especially the milk and honey part. Happy Thanksgiving, from Louisiana.
Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, Theresa!
Yummy!
What is the equivalent in cake yeast to powder yeast?
Thanks! Looking forward to making them!

Popular Posts